Quick paint job anyone ????

farmerdave said:
We do?
Welding new metal in is the only real way to repair rust, anything else is a bog job. Are cars made of bog? Not many.

Good paint on a properly prepared surface is a pretty good start, also fixing leaks and water traps, goldseal type rustproofing and seamsealer help too.
But it isn't really worthwhile if you have another boot lid.

ofcourse car's aren't made of bog, for minor repairs bog is a much sounder, and safer soloution then new metal. Ofcourse if there was holes the size that you could poke your fingers into, etc.. you would have to replacer with metal, as bog, or fiberglass for that matter is simply not strong enough, but for minor repairs on areas that aren't going to get a lot of stress I would much rather use filler then new metal

orestes said:
ofcourse car's aren't made of bog, for minor repairs bog is a much sounder, and safer soloution then new metal. Ofcourse if there was holes the size that you could poke your fingers into, etc.. you would have to replacer with metal, as bog, or fiberglass for that matter is simply not strong enough, but for minor repairs on areas that aren't going to get a lot of stress I would much rather use filler then new metal

Orestes, if you would like to discuss this further you are welcome to PM me. It does not really belong in this thread.

I was just thinking, about the difference in meaning of words...to an aussie, bog is filler, but to an englishman like me, bog means toilet!!! john s

Little f**ker.... That seriously sucks. :(

I had that happen once to my Rover, but I know who did that ...(long story involving country rednecks :rolleyes: )

Must have been a hard kick to bend a CX panel like that - hope he has a serious limp!!

Was just saying to Shane I had my Fuego door 'ROCKED' (very big rock) parked in the middle of Ballarat one night on one of our visits. If only they had just broken a window, nothing to steal in it :mad: :mad: :mad:

very grrr, what a pain! Back to the workshop. :blackeye:

So you banging out the dents, or going to try and source a panel? Or is sourcing another panel not an option?
Much paint left?

David.

vivid said:
Was just saying to Shane I had my Fuego door 'ROCKED' (very big rock) parked in the middle of Ballarat one night on one of our visits. If only they had just broken a window, nothing to steal in it :mad: :mad: :mad:

very grrr, what a pain! Back to the workshop. :blackeye:

So you banging out the dents, or going to try and source a panel? Or is sourcing another panel not an option?
Much paint left?

David.

It's only a dent ... There is no other Series II front guard in Australia that I know of :disappr: I'll try but I seriously doubt I'll have the time to fix it in the next few weeks. I still have the fuel filler flap to spray putty and paint... Possibly I could drop the bumper off and get it ready for spray putty/primer at the same time .... Doubt it though.

seeya,
Shane L.

nate said:
he'll be back, go there a few times & see who's around...
Find the kid with the right shoe prints, if there's more than one, then kneecap the lot of the little F*****rs

ghad that annoys me!

Maybe mould up some fibreglass ones? there's a little project.

Hi Guys,

the dent is easily repairable (it's not really big). Everycar I've ever painted has been damaged within weeks of it being finished in carparks. I guess if I get a unique looking car and make it really, really shiny I've gotta expect it's going to attract attention :( I remember years ago when I was a little kid, my grandfather and father painted the DS my father bought (the first Citroen we have ever owned). They spent weeks in the shed getting it right ... Looked really nice. Within weeks of it being finished someone in my fathers carpark at work hit the rear guard on it. They damaged it so extensively the guard had to be removed so the car could be driven home. It was the first and last car my father ever bothered to paint.

This one annoys me even more as it was deliberatly hit with great force to dent it (most likely jumping from a skateboard at speed). If i leave my cars looking like cr@p they never get touched :confused: Yet as soon as there painted someone nudges them in carparks. At least with carpark scrapes there not deliberate damaged, it's just the morons that park next to you can't drive for sh!t... It's not done out of malice though.

seeya,
Shane L.

You know when I get mine done, if this happened to me, I'd happily deny this kid the oppertunity to become a man:eek: :eek:
john s

Ahh thats not cool Shane - Hope it gets fixed as soon and easily as possible!:)

Ive seen my mate do his R12 - sand it back, pull the whole car apart, sand it some more etc etc and its a shiteload of effort - certainly does look like one awesome job you have done there!:D

BTW - Wanna come and give my car a quick respray one weekend - its got some car park battlescars (not caused my me ofcourse:D )

Joel

I probably should post an update on here on how the car is holding up .... 18 years on .... 10 years of very hard use ... the last 8 years being the 3rd/4th car around the yard with no real upkeep being performed on it. I have found some pictures that have dissappeared from this thread.

bogsanded.jpg

frontready.jpg

guidecoat.jpg

masking1.jpg

paint2.jpg

painted.jpg
paintedbog.jpg

prevrepair2.jpg

ready4work.jpg

as always, ready to drive to work the following day... this being my only car.

Yeah acrylic today shots please Shane. Acrylic never truly dries so my brother tells me and can let moisture through leading to bubbles. Love to know your outcome.

I'm going to have to wash it .... Hmm.... Me wash a car .... what a weird thing to do :unsure:

I'll wash it tomorrow and take some piccies. It sure it looking sad :(

seeya
Shane L.