Peugeot 205 GTI values

Just to add to this, a mere expansion of Uber and other vehicle sharing concepts is even closer than the above. Will we need driveways and carparks much anymore? Few cars, circling around and called when needed.

I know of people in London who use share car systems and don't own a car.

In Helsinki some apartment complexes have share car arrangements set up for owners/tenants as an alternative to owning a car, but in both instances the cars supplement excellent public transport systems

Loan cars are definitely a growing industry with more share/rent cars around Melbourne, it's a great option for those who live in well connected city areas and only use a car periodically.
Unfortunately for most Australians distances and average public transport dictate car use... Getting a bit off topic but still an interesting change to car use...

Back to 205 GTIs, I wonder how much a really good S1 is worth compared to a comparable condition S3?

Others would know better but S3s offer assisted steering as a major drawcard. In the UK I think the earlier ones are worth more however. S3's are just more likely to be in one piece, especially the dash and a glovebox. Buy any awesome example you can!

I offered my very nice 1990 S1.5 on this forum for $8000 about six weeks ago; 150+ views but not a single bite. (Mis)guided by this lack of response, 36 hours ago I offered it on Carsales at $7900; it sold in 20 minutes for $7000, lots of photos and questions but sight unseen, money in my account in 24 hours. I could have sold it 5 times over to similarly keen buyers, one very disappointed enquirer offered $10000 to gazump the winner.

It was clearly underpriced as I did not reckon with the response, but I did still make a modest profit (labour aside). Clearly the market (but sadly not this one) is open for good unmolested 205GTis, no matter what series, with comprehensive documentation.

Thanks for sharing your experience Monte. Despite the fact that there are only very few of us who bang on about these cars daily, it does seem the broader market remembers their youth too. Many of us realising that the chance to get a pure, minimalist, perfectly analogue car is running out.

I had one but magic fixed that it would have been the best S1 in Oz by a long shot, i offered here years back for 7K did not get one bite. Glad and sad I have it now but its going to be a lot better one day!

A mint 89 Gti just sold in the uk for 30k pounds, 3X the original buy new price.

Nice car. 7k original miles. Mint

Perhaps the extreme price just reflects the rarity of such a minter being squirreled away and such low miles, even so...

Yea. Its the super low miler mint pnes that will always sell to someone with plenty of cash who 'wants it'.

As you said Ash, even so...

Like any old "collectible or classic" vehicle or item. A 205 is "worth" what the buyer is prepared to pay.

And that ranges from a few hundred to several thousand dollars, depending on the buyers means and his or her perception of the car.

Not unlike many other non french origin vehicles.

The true value is only decided when the purchaser's funds are transferred to the buyer's account. :wink2:

I wonder if (at the risk of generalising) the average frogger is more likely to be interested in a slightly rough, and particularly cheap car, with an eye to doing it up.
The market on carsales likely encompasses more of the buyer who is interested in a car to drive immediately, in a more immaculate condition - and is prepared to pay for it.

I offered my very nice 1990 S1.5 on this forum for $8000 about six weeks ago; 150+ views but not a single bite. (Mis)guided by this lack of response, 36 hours ago I offered it on Carsales at $7900; it sold in 20 minutes for $7000, lots of photos and questions but sight unseen, money in my account in 24 hours. I could have sold it 5 times over to similarly keen buyers, one very disappointed enquirer offered $10000 to gazump the winner.

It was clearly underpriced as I did not reckon with the response, but I did still make a modest profit (labour aside). Clearly the market (but sadly not this one) is open for good unmolested 205GTis, no matter what series, with comprehensive documentation.

Is it just me or did it not seem THAT mint? Sure it's schmick, but there is surface rust in the engine bay (RHS guard) etc.

Ok I'm being picky, but it was definitely an astronomical price that was paid!

Whenever anyone went for a test drive in the S1 I had for sale they came back shocked at how heavy the steering was. In the end I gave it away for $2000. I've got to say I've never enjoyed owning a GTi, much happier with the Sis, although my rally car has had a few mods!
I do enjoy the 309 GTi, the 130 hp D6B engine is a factor in this.

Others would know better but S3s offer assisted steering as a major drawcard. In the UK I think the earlier ones are worth more however. S3's are just more likely to be in one piece, especially the dash and a glovebox. Buy any awesome example you can!

I drove your S1 Graham and concur that the steering was bloody heavy! Not sure if they are all like that. Perhaps we have short memories and gone all soft too.

I wonder if (at the risk of generalising) the average frogger is more likely to be interested in a slightly rough, and particularly cheap car, with an eye to doing it up.
The market on carsales likely encompasses more of the buyer who is interested in a car to drive immediately, in a more immaculate condition - and is prepared to pay for it.

I agree that you would struggle to sell the carsales $17K blue GTI to the enthusiastic frogger who wants a project.

I drove your S1 Graham and concur that the steering was bloody heavy! Not sure if they are all like that. Perhaps we have short memories and gone all soft too.

Interesting, (apology for drifting a little off topic) I have two S1 205 GTIs, the white one has terrible steering it feels like it's binding up on something. The silver one has smooth almost light steering even at low speed and stationary.

If agree with the market vs froggers as it seems get your hand dirty owners look to gravitate here.

Last edited: