Peugeot 205 GTI values

if people keep thinking like this in the near future GTI's and SI's will be like finding hens teeth. therefore people that want the thrill are going to have to pay what ever the seller is asking. it will be the same as the datto 1200's or the XA coupes. 15-20 years ago you could pick one up for 2-3k with rego on it. at one point people were giving away the 1200's try finding a good runner now days for under 7-8k. I just bought a series 3 SI auto for 200 dollars. id love to wreck it for parts but its too damn clean. its only just clonked over the 100,000km mark and apart from that it only needs some love and paint. ill start thinking twice about letting my cars go from now on. I wonder what I would be able to get for my topaz 205 once im done with the rotisserie nut and bolt rebuild.

On the 4 I have had in Australia I have made a slight profit on the very first 2 on the last 2 I have lost a big chunk of cash and that is excluding my hrs of labour fixing allsorts of issues :-(

BTW - That grey S3 in Adelaide looks the part judging by those photos!

Surprised the king of buying and selling 205s (Gezza) hasn't snapped it up...

Also, does anyone remember what happened with the ultra low KM Red S3 which was for sale a while back...?

The steel grey I was thinking about it... but valve stem seals need doing and for $10k I don't really wanna be doing any work (well minimal anyway).

Wasn't the s3 Justin olds one in WA went over east then the buyer claimed it had virtually a million issues??

Wouldn't mind knowing what km's now though....

I found three notes asking to sell it in my wipers over the time I had it (about 4 years) and mine doesn't even look that pretty.

I've had a note under the wiper and a copper once asked if I wanted to sell when I was filling up at a servo.

There's also three wanted ads up right now. Two on here and one on Gumtree.

I did not expect him to say that as he eyeballed me from across the driveway and then slowly crawled over in his unmarked vehicle either. I was looking up at the clouds whistling a tune and trying not to make eye contact but he still rolled down the window and started talking to me.

thats classic.

Must admit that every time I've been pulled over, the officers are professional and good to have a chat too. Waiting for the day one tells me he has one hes restoring.

Also, the 205 has been getting a fair bit of decent press through Wheels et al which is probably driving interest (and prices) upwards...

Will we see the "Great 205 Recession" of 2015?

I've just dived back into the 205GTi pool by acquiring a pristine 1990 S1.5, white with only 148,000 km on the clock, but I did pay a fair price for it, recognizing it as a good car having done a little work on it over the years. The previous owner even kept nitrogen in the tyres! Apart from a Remus exhaust and Koni adjustables it is stock, so I believe it is worth redoing the front seats and stripping the rear beam for checking, despite its apparent tautness. Ultimately I expect to make a modest profit.

Regrettably I am torn between my attraction to Mitsubishi VR4s and GTOs ( I have 2 and 1 respectively) of the same generation and the Pug, so my declining energies are split between them. As a daily driver, I will take the VR4, with its lounge comfort, AWD and climate control. Away from home, from Braidwood to Batemans Bay the Pug is king, but uphill from Batemans Bay to Braidwood, particularly if it is damp, the GTO is brilliant.

I've just dived back into the 205GTi pool by acquiring a pristine 1990 S1.5, white with only 148,000 km on the clock, but I did pay a fair price for it, recognizing it as a good car having done a little work on it over the years. The previous owner even kept nitrogen in the tyres! Apart from a Remus exhaust and Koni adjustables it is stock, so I believe it is worth redoing the front seats and stripping the rear beam for checking, despite its apparent tautness. Ultimately I expect to make a modest profit.

Regrettably I am torn between my attraction to Mitsubishi VR4s and GTOs ( I have 2 and 1 respectively) of the same generation and the Pug, so my declining energies are split between them. As a daily driver, I will take the VR4, with its lounge comfort, AWD and climate control. Away from home, from Braidwood to Batemans Bay the Pug is king, but uphill from Batemans Bay to Braidwood, particularly if it is damp, the GTO is brilliant.

Put some decent tires on that Pug and you might change your mind.

Only driven 1 205 GTI ... It was standard and in good condition apparently .... It easy also for sale at the time and I was looking to add to the garage .... I'd driven my S16 from the bay to canberra for the test drive.
I was underwhelmed to say the least... Noisy, heavy and obviously slower.... I'm sure the gokart handling was there but I have a gokart already ...
Ive kept the S16 with its great engine, comparable chassis balance, better brakes, climate control, power steering, ease of getting parts and ultimately rarer status....
From Batemans bay to canberra anything with 4wd and a turbo is king... You can't compete with the torque delivery for those uphill climbs.... The curse of the rev friendly NA 4 cyl...

If you did find a minter to mothball for 10 years, how would you set up the car?Remove wheels etc? Would all the rubbers etc disintegrate without use?

I had a young guy about my age (21) take a photo of mine today while I was driving - proves there are still some younger people like myself who appreciate these things. I also occasionally get people catching up to me and giving me the thumbs up.

I choose to keep my gti as original as I can in the hope that it does fetch a higher price when I eventually decide to sell it, but despite burning a larger hole in my pocket I'm gonna try hold onto it for as long as I can. At the end of the day it is such an enjoyable thing to have!

Well, I enquired about the Silver 205 in SA last week...

Was gone within 24 hours :(

Well, I enquired about the Silver 205 in SA last week...

Was gone within 24 hours :(

Interesting. Maybe values are firming. The SA car looked lovely, but after spending $10k for that car there would still be money to be spent - the A/C doesn't work, it had a phase 2 grey dash in a phase 3 car (a BIG pain to fix if you are fussy), the timing belt was due, and there was no mention of the rear beam having been done.

I paid $9.5k for mine 18 months ago. It was one of the last 2 ever sold in Australia, only 84k on the clock, one owner from 1995 to when I bought it and, apart from evidence that it's had a scrape down the passenger side at some stage, extremely original. I've since spent more than that again to bring it back to perfect - respraying a couple of sections of paint that were chipped or starting to lift, new bumper, rear beam and all suspension bushes etc re-done with Peugeot original parts, timing belt and water pump done, recommissioning the A/C, chasing various little bits of trim that weren't perfect, fixing brakes that had sat unused for several years etc etc. Gezza's offer of up to $18k for a top car is the closest I've seen to a prospect of getting most of my money back. I did think about it for a sec, but haven't picked up the phone....

That little silver one looked like a honest project for someone...wonder what it sold for.

Rear beams and cam belt service always worth it if you are going to do it right. Two jobs well worth learning how to do.