Peugeot 205 GTI values

Ahh - Well I'm going to guess that, if it is otherwise as nice as it looks, the s3 should go for something starting with an 8. That would give you room to get A/C fixed, do timing belt, source a dash the right colour and maybe a do couple of other odds and ends and have a really nice, sorted s3 for about $12k - which I think is about the right money. I think it would be worth buying because really good S3s (or any good 205) are just so difficult to find - the people like me who have spent the money to get the car in really top condition just won't sell them because it's not worth it.

My perception is that s1 and s2 cars are playing in a slightly different market. At the moment you'll never get more than $7k for a really top s1 or s2 (Dave T's car ( http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/cars-sale-wanted/104376-1990-205-gti-137-500ks-sale.html ) was the best s2 that I can remember being advertised for a long time and it was about that money).

Last edited:
Wow!

26022014.jpg

The best 205 I have seen since the one I sold in 1999 and the same colour! (The green one)

$18000 might get you half of it!

$18000 might get you half of it!

Which I suppose goes to my point that we therefore don't expect to see it on the market any time soon!

Perhaps appropriate value for a well sorted 16V could be a separate topic. I think it should be significantly higher than an equivalent condition car in standard spec, but many others seem to disagree

[QUOTE - proves there are still some younger people like myself who appreciate these things. I also occasionally get people catching up to me and giving me the thumbs up
[/QUOTE]

im 17 turning 18 and I cop so much crap from others my age for owning a Peugeot. that is until the get a ride and 9/10 time they change their mind and walk away with a pale face. I get pulled over more than P plater commodores. I don't drive like an idiot, they must be curious more than anything.

Perhaps appropriate value for a well sorted 16V could be a separate topic. I think it should be significantly higher than an equivalent condition car in standard spec, but many others seem to disagree

No, I believe a well presented, low km original car is always going to pull top dollar, regardless of the marque or model.

Totally agree, as someone who follows classic car values in particular an original car is always the most sought after even in racecars.

Doesn't go that well though imho I much prefer the 205 gti or the 306 gti6 to the olde willy!!

Interesting that the nice grey s3 205GTI with the respray that was recently advertised on Carsales for $16,000 appears to have sold very quickly - while the pretty average cars that have been advertised there for months at around the $5k mark haven't moved.

I saw that the price was reduced to $14,800. I'm guessing the vendor would have got about $13,000, maybe a bit more? But still a seemingly strong result quite quickly for a car with a cracked dash and over 250,000km on the clock....

Suggests to me something of a split market - demand for very nice 205s when they come up is strong and getting stronger. And relatively little interest in the cars that are tired and past it.

Last edited:
Good point Rich

It had a few issues with the jnterior. Nothing that some money and hunting ebay would not fix.

Time to start respraying all the old 200k+ bodies I have in the yard then!

I am very suspicious of sales at those prices. Until I see a bill of sale, I reserve judgement.

But. I think there was always a split in the market as Rich suggested. This is the case for all cars not only 205s (bar real exotics where you pay whatever for anything you can find because there's only five of them ever made or something like that). We probably know best (and the rest of the market might very well know some of this too) that the 205 was a victim of its own success. Too many tried to fiddle with these cars and failed hence an unmolested example is a rare thing today whilst the fallen victims are a big (read REALLY BIIIIIG) unknown. Hence the prices you see (i.e. nothing for a "modified" car and significant values for unmolested cars with proven history).

Like I said. The story of all cars fallen victims to their own success. Prices for wrecks is going to go up when the market will perceive the 205 as an exotic (i.e. there'll be only five of them left or thereabouts). Don't think it's gonna happen in our lifetime.

Last edited:
I think that the collectable car market has changed quite a bit over the past 10 years. There is now a good proportion of discerning car buyers who don't want a car to work on, they more want a nice car that they can use and or collect. These buyer have helped drive a larger wedge between finished cars and ones that need work. Labour rates to fix cars has also impacted on this gap.
So you can see cars without any mechanical or body issues holding good values.

Nice to see the 205 also gaining those values, I'm more comfortable with my decision to save both Little White & Silver GTIs.... (Not sure they will command those values but worth saving)

Apart from 205s, there really is a bunch of cars that could be aimed for which must be on the precipice of collectability. I reckon the electric/driverless cars will imminently create a Kodak moment, making many current cars look like dinosaurs AND many people wont even bother getting a license? Perhaps within 10 years time, once the rules catch up?

Apart from 205s, there really is a bunch of cars that could be aimed for which must be on the precipice of collectability. I reckon the electric/driverless cars will imminently create a Kodak moment, making many current cars look like dinosaurs AND many people wont even bother getting a license? Perhaps within 10 years time, once the rules catch up?

I agree that's definitely going to be a game changer.