My R12 POS Arrived!

I agree, some nice driving there, Bowie. But I think you could use a fifth gear, even if you mickey mouse a 395 'box. Try looking for one around, who knows what pops up? You'll definitely need the extra gear when you go up to a 17 engine.

Yeah coming down that main straight I'm somewhere between 5k and 5.5k rpm, doing ~130-140km. I'm kinda half looking for one, but If I can eventually spin this engine to 7k, 7.5k I may not need much more km/h. But yes, certainly wouldn't hurt.

Yeah coming down that main straight I'm somewhere between 5k and 5.5k rpm, doing ~130-140km. I'm kinda half looking for one, but If I can eventually spin this engine to 7k, 7.5k I may not need much more km/h. But yes, certainly wouldn't hurt.

The engine you have should happily spin to 6K.

Yes, if I rev it out in 1st, 2nd, 3rd I can get there, but it really isn't pulling much. The main straight isn't long enough / engine not powerful enough / im not exiting the final corner good enough to get much past 5.5k rpm :p

Oh, the post man delivered;

30L rice boy tank and Laila the wonderdog for scale.

Why the heck would anyone want it to be this shiny? Best start covering it in stickers.. This will fit in the gap left by the old tank comfortably, I'll get some right angle steel and make some sort of cage frame and pick a point within the chassis to attach it like the Ark of the covenant.

1599279832954.png

Bowie you don't need another gear, just more exit speed onto the straight and more power to actually get to 7000rpm. Keep developing what you have, you are nowhere near the full potential.
My Lotus Europa with the Renault 807 engine has a 4 speed close ratio renault box that does 235 kph into T1 Eastern Creek at 7000rpm. At Phillip Island, with a fast run onto the straight it is at 240 kph

I agree with you.

It's been a while since I bothered with a gear calculator, these are great;

And here are is my data;

1 = 3.61
2 = 2.26
3 = 1.48
4 = 1.03
Tyre Diameter = 577mm
Diff Ratio = 3.875

The Phone GPS is pretty accurate, 5k rpm gives me the ~130km I see regularly.

If I can get this thing to spin to 7300rpm in top gear, I'll be at 200kmh in a Reno12. :D

Last edited:
Ah well you win some you loose some.

A planning morning in the office (that stretched out to a planning afternoon, Ziiiiiiiinng) provided me with the hope at least, that in the afternoon, I'd have time to muck up where the fuel cell was going to go

Casually walking around the car spinning wheels on the hoist seeing if any of the bearings had collapsed (all wobbled in tolerance said I) at the drivers right hand side front wheel, and she is dragging and hard to move.

WTF said I as I grabbed the torch to see if the ball joints had fallen over or... ah nope... alright lets pull the brake caliper off and see if..

Darn Gord it.

You know after the last couple of track days I had noticed the studs on that wheel where hotter then the others. The Mechanics where like well yeah we turn left here heaps so of course they are going to be warmer.. I reckon this brake caliper has been dragging for quite a while.. :poop:

I have these vented 15 hub/discs, and I think brake pads... I was saying all this for once I got a fresh master cylinder but fsck it. Looks like they are going on and I'll worry about a twin circuit master, well at this rate April 2021.

Ah sorry, dragging a pad. The caliper piston is stuck and not returning.

Dah dah daaaaaah.

I have had several calipers on the front of R12's drag like this, they seem to get gummed up for some reason.

All I have done is dismantle the caliper and give it a good clean then re-assemble it with a bit of rubber grease applied to the seal.

You will probably see a lot of brown muck on the piston.

Your lap times will probably improve as well, a dragging caliper must be worth a few BHP

So having trouble fitting the 15 caliper over the vented disk.. was there a spacer between the stub carrier and hub that people often forget when pressing them both together :s

So having trouble fitting the 15 caliper over the vented disk.. was there a spacer between the stub carrier and hub that people often forget when pressing them both together :s

Do you have the right caliper for the ventilated disk?

Is the piston in the caliper pushed back far enough?

Post up a pick of your setup Bowie

Using the 15 hub yes. We have either omitted a spacer when we pressed the hub and carrier together, or the disc is just to big (at 20mm new)

And if that's the case, what is this disk from :s.

Last edited: