My R12 POS Arrived!

As for ball joints I find the hardest part of those is breaking the taper joint, some come off easy and others well they just hang on.
I have recently discovered "Loctite Freeze and Release". I have had some success in getting some of the more stubborn joints to "let go" rather than hang on.

Its the Australian Bosch starter motors that are a pain in the ass to get out. The Paris Rhone and Ducellier types are easy.

As for ball joints I find the hardest part of those is breaking the taper joint, some come off easy and others well they just hang on.

Yeah, but to get to the lower ball joint you have to take out a lot of stuff none of which is pleasant.

Good stuff Bowie, you will be able to do 15 minute starter motor changes with that.
not quite...

I did of course forgot to tighten the engine mount bolts, and only had that thought after we had nearly put everything together.

But holy crap how great is a brand new starter motors! The thing more or less has a flat battery but still it spins like a machine gun!! Ie prior;

Rar..Rar..Rar..Rar..Rar.. - BANGANGANGANGABANGBANGBAN!

And now;

RARARARARARA - BANGBNAGBNABNAGBNAGBNAG!

It's smaller, lighter, works with less voltage and spins faster. Well perhaps that's more a statement at how old and tired the original Aussie Bosch one was. And look how pretty it is!

I was able to drive it back to the carport and store it under a cover for chrissy, best Christmas present ever.

Reactions: COL
Would you look at this!

Little nugget is lifting a wheel (in the easy spot) but still! There's another couple of photos before in sequence having it in air the entire way around turn 2. haha. Silly Pos.

What I do love is the serious concentrating grin I've got on my dumb mug! Difficult having so much fun :D

Also, might have to sort some sort of bonnet vent..

It's getting a bit 70's moustahce vibe going on here, HAHA!

These were taking not last night, but the week before at this Sydney SuperSprint Event; https://sydneysupersprints.com.au/
This was where I was getting my cheat on and practicing before HSRCA.

Some sort of gig, enter what ever you have and giggle.

Last edited:
Would you look at this!

Little nugget is lifting a wheel (in the easy spot) but still! There's another couple of photos before in sequence having it in air the entire way around turn 2. haha. Silly Pos.

What I do love is the serious concentrating grin I've got on my dumb mug! Difficult having so much fun :D

Also no

Also, might have to sort some sort of bonnet vent..

It's getting a bit 70's moustahce vibe going on me here, HAHA!

These were taking not last night, but the week before at this Sydney SuperSprint Event; https://sydneysupersprints.com.au/
This was where I was getting my cheat on and practising before HSRCA.

Some sort of gig, enter what ever you have and giggle.

Might need a centre front bonnet pin

Yes I've sorta paused those camber ideas whilst I get excited about making a lower control arm, must pull my finger out.

Last edited:
It's not that hard, people used to turn around the lower ball joint (or was it the top one?) not sure. You need to make sure the driveshafts don't extend too much though. I suspect if your car is lowered that won't be a problem.

Oh Hi Everyone,

Well in getting ready to depart the race track for good I went and entered myself in a Regularity at the end of April. Well I've gorn darn it now entered in the Road Race Club's 6hr, on the 18th April as well.

My father and I are joining a 5 car team "Grumpy Racing" which I think Is quite apt. Dad and I will share our split so we should each end up with roughly 4 x 15mins Sprints.. err. "sessions" over the day (day is split with 5hr practice, 6hr regularity). And that'll be enough.

Dad was a rally driver back in the day (Ed. wasn't everyone in the 70's) and hasn't had a chance to be on the race track yet, so I'm glad all the calender's aligned and I can show him around the place and let him fang around in the ol' nugget.

Dad's been a Frenchy for ever, he started me on this sickening curse by bringing a 504Ti home when I was in primary school. I hurt myself once afternoon at a swiming carnival and Mum came and picked me up. I remeber being cold but the green leather seats were warm from the sun and I thought it was the greatest thing ever.

Then closer to driving age he turns up in a 505STI. It was this lovely dark Moonwracker blue. I thought it was the coolest thing ever. Long, mean looking at the front, so different to all the Honda's and Camrys my mates where into at the time. I ended up with it at Uni and took it with my to Albury actually. It was the perfect car for kicking around those country roads.

I actually think I love the 12 so much as it resembles a smaller 504. And that's kinda cute.

Anyway enough of that.

The problem with entering this event next weekend is that I have a bit of work to do in effort to keep the scruitineers, namely:

- Fit some dam lights (not in schedule A/B but listed in their regs). Annoying, I have some little lights I was going to use as reversing lights, I'll set them in the holes left by the original ones.
- Fill in all the little drainage spots with Sikaflix / make something serviceable as I'm enjoying having drainage.
- Tidy it up generally. I'm working toward the if it looks less nuggety on the outside, they will be happier on the inside ;)
- Want to chop the springs some more. Reckon there is another couple of coils I can take out of it, the front control arms aren't parallel yet. That will be the biggest job should I get around to it.
- Paint a battery triangle (no worries)
- Add a front tow hook (just have to find the strap I took off)
- Decide if I want to use the catch can or not. It's (too small) but I don't think they will mind.
- Fit the new CV boot Cavanaghs sent weeks ago. (might have a look when if I get to the front springs)
- Align the front door correctly! When I had it off I never bothered to align it back nicely so it's annoying. little things, but will make the Scruits happier no doubt.
- Check the weather forecast and decide if I need my windscreen wipers working.. Might get away with a lot of Rainex...
- Decide if I can be bothered re-inforcing that bonnet to stop it flapping..

Should be a full evenings worth after-work providing I don't get distracted.. :D

In other good news I was forced to think some-more about those 15/17 Hubs, Carriers, Callipers, and Vented discs I have, namely how the caliper bracket hasn't been clearing the disc face.

Thanks to a prior post by Col I went and dug up the diagram from the 12 to compare part numbers. Note the numbers listed for what I'm assuming are the spaces I'm missing from the hubs / hub carriers I put together:

Reno 12
reno12.jpg

Reno 17
reno17.png

We are talking about parts #

06 08 084 600
06 08 290 702

which are common to both! Sooooooooo the Virage that is cut in half sitting in the yard should have those bits I can recover and reuse!

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

I'll save that adventure for another weekend but closer to fitted those dam vented discs!

Alright that's enough!

Come race your nuggets. :D

Last edited:
If you want to make it to the event, I’d park the spring chop til after you get back to Melbourne and concentrate on the other items. Just my opinion.

Reactions: COL
You were right. I've run out of time.

I gave it a good tidy up with some fresh rattle can paint, and even looked after the over spray on the flares;

There was some over spray I got carried away with however...

I re made a wiring loom and fitted a pair of small driving lights actually behind the openings for the indicators, neat and tidy and good enough for tech inspection. All that's left is to find some blue electrical tap and make some triangles and I "should" be good to go.

But this isn't the point. As indicated in the parts wanted thread, another caliper has given up. This was a bit more dramatic.
I took advantage of a night on the Brabham circuit (the best configuration IMHO) to check everything before giving it to Dad for the 6hr on Saturday. It was all going well until I ended up back in the garages. Smoke was pouring like I had thrown oil everywhere but turns out the paint was melting on the wheel;

FFFFFFFFSFSFSFSFSFFSFSFS Looking back at the top speed its well under so makes sense.

Anyway I started to push it outside and it was heavy, eventually I needed a mate to help me push it.

FFFAFSFAHSFFHASKFAK

Ah still. it's a 50yr old part. But to give up tonight! I'm supposed to be taking it to scruitineering tomorrow afternoon.

Does anyone have a rebuild kit or a caliper (front left) I could pick up tomorrow?

:(

Strangely there was no significant painting on your original list apart from the triangle (I got a magnetic P plate and painted it blue with a spray can last time I needed a temporary one in a hurry).

Re the caliper rebuild, I can’t help with seals but have you rung colliers at Granville in case they may have some?

Strangely there was no significant painting on your original list apart from the triangle (I got a magnetic P plate and painted it blue with a spray can last time I needed a temporary one in a hurry).

Re the caliper rebuild, I can’t help with seals but have you rung colliers at Granville in case they may have some?
I'm going to stop in on my way to work.

Just Checked Natsoft,142 entries in P1.
A Renault position 4, Yuri Chernenko (NSW) team "What could possibly go wrong" Renault Megane 275 T 2000, 10 laps Fastest on lap 9 1:51.1350.
No R12 shown on P1 list but saw Ron Boaden (NSW) Grumpy Racing NSW, Holden Commodore. Did 3 laps, fastest on last lap 2:34.2170 0:47.5600

Hay that's ma Dad. :)

Yes his first time in track, the Reno..well what a story of young kids not knowing what they are doing..

Short version, got the 17ts brakes on, but destroyed the master cylinder pumping the crap out of it trying to build pressure.

We now know we should have just left it, cracked everything and let gravity do its thing, oh boy are we dumb. I'll fill you all in on the rest of the shinanigans a little later.

I'm having a ball in my road registeted daily driver (V6 commodore) manage a 2:08 with lots of opposite lock yeeehaaaa :p

Or you could just do what I suggest every time these issues/questions come up.

Make yourself a positive pressure bleeder and use tyre pressure. You need a cap that seals on the brake fluid reservoir, some tubing, a little tap (garden irrigation works), tyre pump fitting that locks on the tyre valve and that's it. You can figure out how it all goes together.

Helpful hint: brake fluid reservoir caps from old BMW (1970s-80s) fits and seals perfectly and it's plastic. A dime a dozen from wreckers.

It's pretty much the same idea as gravity bleeding only a bit quicker.

This will evacuate air from the MC too in the process.

Or get a garden weed spray tank and pump up pressure in it. They oly cost abot $9.00.