My new challenge - 1964 ID19F Safari

Mind - I know there are many variables in painting....and there are early cars where modern painting system has been used and they manage to look absolutely stunning...it's that relationship with the professional and getting the right job....

The gift that keeps on giving 😩 😄

After ‘event-less’ motoring for a few drives now; including a 250klm round trip on the motorway to catch up with Buttercup Bob and Tim in Baccus Marsh, the bugger mucked up today.

Under breaking the car made quite a bad shuddering and grinding noise… on and off, so I went home thinking maybe air in the system. Yep, a bit of air in the front, so bled the brakes and off I went again. After a short while the noises came back… hmmm, back home for a closer inspection.

Oooops… I found that the LH brake carrier pin somehow had worked itself loose and had fallen out, not only making the whole carrier move forward on braking, but also bending the calliper connection pipe to the point of a hairline fracture, letting in a tiny amount of air….

Bugger, that pin is gone! Not so! I luckily reinstalled the bottom cover plate only yesterday and the pin was lying in it - phew.

So, radiator and shroud off, pin reinstalled with a new split pin (where did that go? Did I never install it? Who knows…) and pipe removed.

Will chop the end off and braze a new fitting on it or find someone with the olive tooling…

Luckily no further damage - I guess those are the things that may still happen from time to time. I am glad the pipe end didn’t break properly and dump a whole lot of LHM on the road…

7BACF4D8-A19F-4215-A9B1-A26D068371C3.jpeg

Brake carrier was about 20mm forward…

936D7B8B-2FD6-49E5-9102-D0454B395BFE.jpeg

The offending pin…

FA126F2C-B76F-409E-B618-7AF2D35C093C.jpeg

Too squashed to recover…

B8D49088-0874-405C-86EF-866486E9C86C.jpeg

All good fun. Sven

PS: A couple of photos from Bob’s round trim supplying sausages and Citroen parts and labour across Australia.

All three gents contributed parts and supplies to the Safari - thanks Andrew and Bob.
5E752659-CFFB-4A11-B172-3300D145BB1B.jpeg

And Tim!
E63CF1E1-F06D-4FC5-B16E-B33752CB9F54.jpeg

Last edited:

After ‘event-less’ motoring for a few drives now; including a 250klm round trip on the motorway to catch up with Buttercup Bob and Tim in Baccus Marsh, the bugger mucked up today.

Under breaking the car made quite a bad shuddering and grinding noise… on and off, so I went home thinking maybe air in the system. Yep, a bit of air in the front, so bled the brakes and off I went again. After a short while the noises came back… hmmm, back home for a closer inspection.

Oooops… I found that the LH brake carrier pin somehow had worked itself loose and had fallen out, not only making the whole carrier move forward on braking, but also bending the calliper connection pipe to the point of a hairline fracture, letting in a tiny amount of air….

Bugger, that pin is gone! Not so! I luckily reinstalled the bottom cover plate only yesterday and the pin was lying in it - phew.

So, radiator and shroud off, pin reinstalled with a new split pin (where did that go? Did I never install it? Who knows…) and pipe removed.

Will chop the end off and braze a new fitting on it or find someone with the olive tooling…

Luckily no further damage - I guess those are the things that may still happen from time to time. I am glad the pipe end didn’t break properly and dump a whole lot of LHM on the road…

View attachment 139907

View attachment 139908

The offending pin…

View attachment 139909

Too squashed to recover…

View attachment 139910

All good fun. Sven

PS: A couple of photos from Bob’s round trim supplying sausages and Citroen parts and labour across Australia.

All three gents contributed parts and supplies to the Safari - thanks Andrew and Bob. View attachment 139911
And Tim!
View attachment 139912
Lovely photo gents - well done!

I've had a great trip, so far.
Just boarded the ferry back to the north island, having delivered a few bits, welded a few welds, tweaked a few tweaks, straightened a few bends, eaten too many eats (thanks Richo) left my grubby finger prints in a few places where they shouldn't be (Sorry Richo), and failed to sort out JBs BVH (Sorry JB). Next time, I promise!
I'm thinking of offering a twice annual carriage service between northern NSW, maybe including Southern Qld, and Tassie, maybe including eastern SA, for froggie stuff, including, whatever can legally attach to my towbar.
This trip has included, a small race car, on a trailer, sausages, '70s computer stuff, Volvo parts, Pug diagnostics stuff, a huge food mixer, a windscreen (let's see if it arrives intact), leatherwood honey, gin, a micro fiche reader, a couple of books, and shortbread.

The froggy network has not only kept me busy, but has been so very welcoming and kind.
Thank you all.

BTW, on topic, the split pin, in the mounting pin of the rear of the front caliper mount is absolutely essential, AND.......with new pads fitted, and the park brake on, gently tighten the set screw onto the ball that holds the pin.
This keeps the caliper aligned with the disc as the pads wear, so they wear evenly. (Pre '67 cars only)

View attachment 139907

View attachment 139908

The offending pin…

View attachment 139909

Too squashed to recover…

View attachment 139910

All good fun. Sven

All three gents contributed parts and supplies to the Safari - thanks Andrew and Bob. View attachment 139911
And Tim!
View attachment 139912
Cccv has the olive tool Sven

Safari special…

here a link of a short video one of the boys from the Bayside Car Group made of my Safari at the Beaumaris Car Show last Sunday - first time the car was displayed with another 200 cars and bikes… the car got a surprising amount of attention due to being different to the ‘usual’ American, British or German cars.

And even nicer to receive some recognition being voted third best car in the People’s Choice trophy!

14A03CB7-6072-4CFF-9055-B1F47E596CAA.jpeg

Sven

Safari special…

here a link of a short video one of the boys from the Bayside Car Group made of my Safari at the Beaumaris Car Show last Sunday - first time the car was displayed with another 200 cars and bikes… the car got a surprising amount of attention due to being different to the ‘usual’ American, British or German cars.

And even nicer to receive some recognition being voted third best car in the People’s Choice trophy!

View attachment 200573

Sven
Huzzah! 🏆 For a first time "fresh out of the box", that's pretty good.

Well, good to see there are still a few Dutch around that are as mad as me… this 1965 Safari just popped up for sale on one of the European websites, three year 1600hr restoration - pretty much what I spent on mine… good to see I was working at the same pace as the professionals 😬

Considering the time and cost spent on it, and the apparent quality of the job, the price actually looks pretty fair.

He also made a nice video…

Sven

I had another go at wrinkle paint with paint over the top - terrible, definitely not an option.

I found some Interpon powder coating wrinkle paint in Dune Colorbond - have ordered a sample and will have a chat to my powder coater to see what he thinks. On photos it looks quite decent.

I spent the last few days polishing the aluminium trim pieces for the roof. Straightening the trim, remove dents and sand out a fair bit of corrosion on some pieces - rewarding, but filthy work... some needed 10 steps! I had to go down to 40 grit on the rear lid cross trim, it was that badly pitted.

The three trim pieces at the top are the before: dented, dull, scratched. The below are sanded to 600 wet, then polished.View attachment 128934View attachment 128935

You can see the pitting on the right hand side - it was surprisingly deep, hence the 40 grit starting point.
View attachment 128936

The dash strip is causing me some headaches. It was badly scratched and dented as well, which meant I had to remove the anodising to fix it up. I am now contemplating whether to leave it polished, or try to find a paint that replicates the anodised finish as reanodising would likely damage the stripe pattern.View attachment 128937

The roof rack was painted with Chrome paint. Might dull it down a little with a clear coat to get closer to the original anodised finish.
View attachment 128938View attachment 128939View attachment 128940View attachment 128941

The rest of the days were spent cleaning rubber seals... the door seals are still usable, all glass seals need to be renewed.

View attachment 128942
@bleudanube Curious why the chrome paint rather than sending back out for anodizing? Is clear anodize the correct thing?

In hindsight good point…. It should be clear anodised. I probably should have tried to find an anodiser one Melbourne, but at the time the chrome paint (which dulls down significantly quickly) seemed an ok option. So far it’s holding up ok.

Ok, fortunately (or not if you like breathing) an easy thing to come by in my area…

Ps / thanks for the tip on adding nuts above the roof. Was able to replace and waterproof the entire hardware apparatus while keeping the rack removable / serviceable. New headliner makes the car a fair bit quieter too.

Sven, curious what your dash is made of (if you know?). Mine is in pretty remarkable shape, but dirty. Am contemplating a cleaning and perhaps one of these newer UV protecting products. I think Ive seen recovered dash panels for sale as "leather", but also saw a questionable translation on Danchotron of vinyl. Neither would surprise. Any insight?

(PS, the gasket replacement project is coming along nicely. Tailgate and lower door seals all done, and that alone made a big difference in wind-noise. Working my way around the little inner gray trim around the pillars. That one really is a total bitch, can don about 2 inches a minute working with a tool handle i reshaped to fit the profile a bit, but without removing the main seals.

Sven, curious what your dash is made of (if you know?). Mine is in pretty remarkable shape, but dirty. Am contemplating a cleaning and perhaps one of these newer UV protecting products. I think Ive seen recovered dash panels for sale as "leather", but also saw a questionable translation on Danchotron of vinyl. Neither would surprise. Any insight?

Dash - as in the top dash pad? It is metal and I recovered it in black vinyl with quite a strong grain pattern. Here a photo of the before and after vinyl.

F2A6C565-64FE-4E39-9A6B-002EA3E3C71C.jpeg

Long time no post / update on the Safari. I had to put it into storage for a few weeks while I was selling another car that occupied the garage space. Now that that’s done, the Safari has its home again. But:

Picked it up from storage and drove home for 15 min. Check the oil and coolant - coolant a bit low (could see the radiator cores), so topped it up. No visible leaks on any hoses and no water in the oil (phew)…

Put the 4psi cap back on and started the engine… warmed up and coolant started leaking out of the overflow. Hmmm? Too much coolant in it?

Checked the thermostat: is fully closed until about 75 degrees (it’s a 71 degree one and it’s new) and fully open at 80 degrees. That all looks fine.

So, my question is: Using my digital temp read out the car usually runs at about 67-70 degrees, over temp is set to 85 degrees.

How does the cooling circuit work if the thermostat is fully closed (ie no coolant flow possible through the top radiator hose) until say 75 degrees, at least 5 degrees above normal operating Temperature?

Is there a secondary “shorter” circuit the pump operates in until the thermostat opens up? But that would mean the coolant flow through the top hose is never activated as the thermostat remains closed at 67-70 degrees….

Do I just have a Sunday morning brain fart, or am I missing something? Should the thermostat be at least partially open before the 71 degree opening temp? To let some coolant through the radiator top hose…?

Maybe I am worrying about nothing, but losing coolant always worries me….

Sven

Add on: just put the thermostat back in and immediately the coolant overflows out of the radiator over flow…. What the…!?

Have I got it the wrong way round in the top hose? I don’t think so, but:

9247F560-6848-4EAF-B9AA-96EC513DD996.jpeg