My 404C resto begins!

have I typed this before? There's a whole lot of wow going on there with a bewdifol car yes indeed, respect!

49186547927_08bf8f94c9_b.jpg

Mercedes W115 shifter boot does a sterling job for 404s with the Nardi floor shift. Same size and extremely supple rubber. Cheap too, $25 CAD with all taxes in.

Bargain!!

49186547927_08bf8f94c9_b.jpg

Mercedes W115 shifter boot does a sterling job for 404s with the Nardi floor shift. Same size and extremely supple rubber. Cheap too, $25 CAD with all taxes in.

Bent up the 8 mm copper-nickel tubing for the 2 fuel lines - using the old ones as a template and zap strapping them together during the bending.

Then I mounted all the hard brake and fuel lines under the car. In the process I cleaned the garage floor, with my hair. 6 hours all in.

Today I had about 4 hours to get some things done, so I cut the inner rear fender protectant and trunk floor insulation, mounted it, put the rubber mat in and clipped it into place with the 4 large modern plastic clips (better than the rubber originals and easier to use!). Then I mounted the front fuel line retainer that holds the two fuel lines at the front end of the car, mounted the cage nuts on the road wheels and finally glued the seal to the fresh air intake.

Sander May's stainless steel replica exhaust, with NOS Peugeot heat shield installed. The diameter of the replica resonator is a bit smaller than the original in mild steel, so I had to make up a couple of small spacers in aluminium to allow the bands to clamp onto the body. Soon to be mounted on the car. The third photo shows one spacer, which is on the upper side of the resonator, so it's not visible from below.

After yesterday's repair to the broken captive bolt on the foam backed lower dashboard pad, today it was successfully mounted:
Dashboard-pads.jpg

Light, horn and turn indicator controls installed, plus wheel of course:
Steering-wheel.jpg

Note the cover for the column shifter, part of the original Nardi floor shifter kit:
Steering-column.jpg

Trimmed the fresh air intake seal so the hood could close!
IMG-5720.jpg

Loving your work Mike.
Also like the comfort pillow, when lying on your back.

Ditto Dano's comments Mike and like the attention to detail.

A bit of light work after Christmas:

1) wired up the extra interior light so it is a map light only (independent of the ceiling light)...may decide to change that later so it works with the doors too.

2) mounted the electric screen washer pump behind the steering column and got some new tubing to fit, as well as a new ABS T-fitting. Installed a one way valve so it won't drain back when not in use.

3) developed a wiring diagram to connect the Swedish market two speed rotary wiper switch, which also has a push function to operate the screen washer. The first owner fitted two speed wipers when the car was a few years old but I didn't like the rocker switch he used.

49285797057_538ae77e94_b.jpg

Next I will tackle wiring up the switch or install the driver's door upholstery panel. May even attempt the rear window installation if I get ambitious enough.

On Saturday the driver's door panel got mounted. You might think it's a 10 minute job, but it's not. The replica upper door panel is for a Cabriolet and required a whole lot of modification to fit.

49290375538_3903bddd6d_b.jpg

Mike,

Patience is a virtue, Especially with a thing of beauty like your coupe.

Cheers,

Dan

On Saturday the driver's door panel got mounted. You might think it's a 10 minute job, but it's not. The replica upper door panel is for a Cabriolet and required a whole lot of modification to fit.

49290375538_3903bddd6d_b.jpg

Stainless steel rear exhaust mounted with original Peugeot OE belts/hangers:

And the middle section is mounted too, held in place temporarily with a zap strap:

Flexible hose between floor and torque tube mounted to my homemade brake lines:

Right front brake hose mounted (the end is capped):

And left front (you can see the cap on the end in this photo):

Left front side bumper mount added. The cage nut had flown the coop many years ago and so getting the long bolt started into the nut I was hanging onto with a dab of butyl was a bit of a challenge but it worked better than my attempt with magnets!

49412841087_0701bbf981_b.jpg

Windshield is in. It's a laminated screen as all cars sold in Canada and the USA have had to be equipped with since the 1950s. The brand of the screen is F&F, and it's called "Safety Plate" on the tiny etching. Locally made in the sixties or seventies, which is amazing as so few Coupés were sold in Canada (none in USA) and the shape is different than the Cabriolet. There is a safety test decal on the screen from January 1973 so I expect the original broke between 1967 and 1972.

Front part of the headliner trim was installed this afternoon, as were the wipers. Wipers took 30 seconds; headliner and sunvisors took a couple of hours to get right. Hand-built cars, eh!