My 404C resto begins!

Mike, this is nearing completion. What are you going to do for entertainment when it's done?

Mike,
Impressed as usual with your dedication. So what’s your next project?
Cheers
Dan

Well for one thing I am looking for a couple of tiny misplaced parts - two metal clips that attach the dash pad to the A pillar trims. I know I didn't throw them away but damned if I can find them! And they're unavailable....

Next project/entertainment is using the car! No more restorations for me!

Mike,
Feeling your pain. That is in the same vein as pulling out couple mounting brackets to realise you have not prepped them. So move onto something else.
Dan

Today I got my 18 cleaned and tested injectors back from Nottingham Diesel Services Ltd.

The 6 NOS:
2 x DL0 20D - release at 37 bar, good jet, no drips
3 x DL0 20D - release at 35 bar, good jet, no drips
1 x DL0 20B - release at 33 bar, good jet, no drips

The 4 originals from my car's engine:
1 x DL0 20B - release at 29 bar, good jet, no drips
3 x DL0 20B - release at 27 bar, good jet, no drips

Random spare injectors:
3 x DL0 20B - release at 30-32 bar, good jet, small drip but OK
3 x DL0 20B - release at 22-25 bar, jet OK, but drips under residual pressure that could make cold and warm starting a problem.
2 x DL0 20B - defective

I'm going to use 4 x NOS injectors.

FYI, new specification is anything over 30 bar - the acceptable range for brand new being 30-38 bar. Anything over 15 bar is considered still in specification. So I think I'm set, since I only need 4.

Dear Mike

You’ve done well, this should leave you with a good bank of known injectors

My strike rate was lower, but what may be of use to others is that a goodly percentage of my injectors that had failed passed with flying colours once put through the ultrasonic injector cleaner.

I have found a crowd in Bayswater ( Melbourne ) who are quick, user friendly and competent. They will let you watch yours being tested. They also dont cost a bomb ( I got 8 done for about 200.00 )

For any of you with a 504 TI or an injected 404 ( unusual here in Oz ) - or a BMW 2002 tii or porsche 911 - which is giving any sort of grief , this is a cheap and important baseline check, also often combined with a fix.

Details of service, address etc available on request

Best WIshes

Andrew

The cost for mine was £180 including VAT at Nottingham Diesel Services Ltd. Too bad I don't live in Nottingham or area.....

Each of the 18 injectors was dismantled and ultrasonically cleaned before being reassembled and tested. The transport costs were higher than the workshop charges! All told, it was about $800 CAD.

I could have had it done locally for the price of $50 plus 12% VAT per injector, $1008 total (plus the cost of getting to and from Vancouver). Plus when I last had that shop (Fred Holmes Fuel Injection) near Vancouver check anything, they were not that impressive in terms of rating the injectors by release pressure, saying only they were either "good" or "not good".

So in the end I saved $200 and got better service.

I just calculated the actual bills:

$184 for postage to Britain, with insurance (in two shipments, one with $1000 insurance and one with $500 insurance)
£180 ($310) workshop charges including VAT
£132 ($227) courier charges for all 18 back to Canada including £5000 insurance
$34 import duty and VAT on British service charges

That's $755 total. So I saved $250+ :D

I got a set tested by the Nottingham people and was also very happy with the service

I then discovered a crowd who are all of 20 mins drive from my place, who were also excellent - Rankin Diesel in Melrich Rd , Bayswater

D'ohhh!

Andrew

As you may recall, before Christmas I put the rear window in but there were a couple of issues: the lower stainless steel trim piece was perfectly straight and the glass is slightly curved, so it was constantly trying to pop the clips out. And so it did, once the glass was in.

After pulling the trim off I realized that the problem was also that the replica clips were about 2mm shorter than the originals and so didn't penetrate far enough inside the seal's rubber slot to engage with the small channel at the end where the hooked bit goes. So each of the 30 clips had to be adjusted carefully by hand to match the depth of the 16 remaining originals, which were cadmium plated a couple of years ago. In doing this - they're made of spring steel - 5 of the 30 snapped but 25 survived.

I then mounted them to the SS trim along with the 16 originals and so far it's holding well enough. Actually the rubber seal relies upon the window aperture to keep it tight. So during installation I'm going to have to ensure the helpers push hard on each clip as I pull the rubber seal through to the inside of the car to make sure the seal clamps the clip in the right position (fully inserted).

Last edited:
Today, with the able help of my two daughters I remounted the rear window of the 404 Coupé with no problem at all, and the modified clips are working perfectly.

Took 5 minutes to install and this time I started from the bottom of the seal and finished at the top. I used a smaller gauge nylon cord to do the lip service (!) this time and it worked beautifully.

YES!!

Rear parcel shelf and leather rear bench installed. For the moment there will be no speakers, because my 1981 Blaupunkts are dead.

And today, the naughty....err....dirty bits....

Removal of crankshaft, camshaft, pistons, liners...

Summary:

- Crankshaft journals looks more or less OK: 0.3 mm should do.
- The upper (compression, I presume) rings were broken on all 4 pistons (!!)
- Lifters and peak of the cams on cylinder 4 were heavily worn (oddly, the other were OK)
- Sleeves were not too rusty in the water jacket area and the block where the seals mate is perfect.
- There was a lot of very thick sediment deposited in the lower sides of cylinders 1 and 2, especially by the block drain hole on #1.

I have new pistons, sleeves etc; however I could use a new cam or maybe get a regrind. Need new lifters of course.

Into the rewarding fun stuff now!

I found a company making new cam followers, Mike. I have one set for a job, I’m doing. Seem to be perfectly made. If that is helpful to you.

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

Thanks Stew, I will see if I can get some NOS or Peugeot Classic ones first, but if not, I'll be in touch.

Got to have a look at my other KF2 cam to see if it's better (I think it is). Checking with a well known cam grinder in Vancouver about a regrind.

The engine is totally apart now, as noted. The cam has bad wear so I am trying to source a new one from Le Club 404's stock. The new head and piston/sleeve kit are in the two cardboard boxes.

Today, after cleaning off the engine block and moving it to where you see it above, I made 10 spacers for the carpet snaps. These space the carpet appropriately for the thickness of the undelay, so they're not puckered.

Original Peugeot clips used for the visible ones. The rest are virtually the same.