My 404C resto begins!

The underlay for the rear transmission tunnel was installed along with the carpet, the rear floor carpets.... and then the passenger seat.

My wife Sandy tried out the seat for height and comfort :cool:

What a significant moment, Mike! Apart of the engine, and any other interior bits, you must be very close?

The driver's side floor carpet and set will be next. Because the car has a Nardi floor gear shift lever, I will have to wait until the C3 'box is installed before doing final fitting of the forward transmission tunnel sound insulating underlay and the carpet. The gearbox needs new bearings and seals and I'll have to take it to a shop to have that done.

After the seats are in, I just need to attach the speedometer cable and redo the drive's side window winder handle mounting. Then the engine rebuild. So yeah, getting closer!

Drilled 3 holes in the panels to mount the new carpet in the front driver's side. The fourth hole was already there above the accelerator pedal. Also mounted the new speedometer cable and the accelerator cable. The driver's seat was a bit of a bear to install because the captive bolts in the shell were not long enough to penetrate the new (thicker) seat runners and so I had to knock it out and put a bolt and (blind) nut inside one. The interior is now done apart from the transmission tunnel, which is still naked because I have to install the C3 gearbox and its Nardi floor shifter before final trimming. That'll be a while then.

Mounted the glovebox on Saturday. REALLY hard to see under the dash...flat black. You can see the lock.

Sunday I cleaned and sorted all my nuts and bolts into the proper sizes.

Last edited:
Saturday I'm going to rebuild the AEG/KF fuel lift pump with a kit supplied by my buddy Peter van Deukeren from the Netherlands.

The tiny bearings:

The shaft seal:

The kit:

My two AEG PLF 5 pumps:

And today, because I couldn't find the original clips for the dash pad, I made these out of 1mm thick spare rocker panel/sill material. They now have to be covered with a thin layer of black vinyl. They join the top of the soft dashboard pad with the soft A-pillar trims. Each one has been shaped by hand to fit each side very well.

Hi Mike.

The clips look good. There is always that sense of achievement, when you fabricate something from scratch. It doesn't have to be a major panel, the smallest parts can have more of a visual impact and self-satisfaction.

You're lucky to gets bits through. Joern tried to post some parts to me yesterday, no service from Germany to Australia. What's another month or so....

Your clips will turn up you know, just like the two alignment lugs I fabricated to install the motor. They were labelled in a bag with the gear selectors. Arrrrgh.

You must be so close now?

Cheers

Dan

Mike, is there any chance of you doing a YouTube clip when it's finished? Maybe a walk around, start up and drive down the road , or something.

Dashboard clips covered with vinyl.

Passenger side:

Driver's side.

It was a pretty decent effort, I am pleased with the result.

Love your attention to detail, Mike. Great result.

Great reading this thread ... congrats

wish there was an equivalent for a 505.

Were the clips also part of the original car, as in “stock”?

Dismantling of the AEG/KF fuel lift pump.

A little bit of electrical tape over the motor's drive pinion facilitated the armature's extraction from the pump body without in any way damaging the original grease seal, which is still supple. So I will leave it in place and use the same technique to re-insert the pinion through this seal.

The freed armature.

Making up some different sized slotted washers in the garage made short work of extracting the tiny drive pinion and nearly as tiny bearings.

Armature mounted on a drill in a vise so I could polish the commutator/slip ring with fine emery cloth.

Comparison between the armature of my car (4598609) on the right and that of a scrapped Canadian Cabriolet (6800519) on the left. 4598609 has done 83,000 miles. I bought the entire drivetrain from 6800519 in 1982, and at least the electric motor seems to show the traces of more like 200.000 miles...

The deep blue paint has been applied today!

36481260071_ce16707d15_b.jpg

36619242825_904e72af02_b.jpg

Reminder: This engine bay photo was taken in sunlight and it looks much brighter in this type of light.

33517275060_312e88b003_b.jpg

There are a few more on the restoration page, under "paint": Paint

this car has similar lines to a Ferrari 205 GTE beautiful !