Marks Mi16 Rebuild

On the topic of your driveshafts, did you replace any needles? I lost a few of mine when I accidentally shook the dirty rag I disassembled it on :disappr:
Hey flock,
No mate I was very careful not to loose any as I didn't have any for back up. A nice clean work area, bucket of cleaner, a magnet and cv grease.

I'm rather impressed you can work on the car in that tight garage. You've inspired me!
Haha if you look closely up the back of the garage you will also see its my bedroom..... Aahhhhh there's nothing like the smell of Castrol in the morning..

Block, liners, pistons and crank are at the engineers now to me measured. I should get them back with details next Thursday. Sub frame is going to be welded up tomorrow. Steering rack now. I got the pinion kit from Perth, boots from UK, and just ordered inner ends. I would like Rose joint outer ends but a bit pricey.

Trying to find the plastic lock piece but I don't even know if it's really needed.
ffe3bbb95e7e5b3864d2195ad9f919c0.jpg
2e23ec01656213398a37db75c49bc54b.jpg

Last edited:
I have just tought myself a valuable lesson. In my haste to remove the power steering a few years back, I removed the ram and pump and pipes. I also cut of the thread that the ram connects to on the rack FACEPLANT!

Need a new rack now... Bugger.
07888091874b5836f9ffe615b216cf73.jpg

I have just tought myself a valuable lesson. In my haste to remove the power steering a few years back, I removed the ram and pump and pipes. I also cut of the thread that the ram connects to on the rack FACEPLANT!

Need a new rack now... Bugger.
07888091874b5836f9ffe615b216cf73.jpg

Mark whats The reason you are going back to power steering? I'm thinking of doing away with mine and fitting a non power quick rack.

Mark whats The reason you are going back to power steering? I'm thinking of doing away with mine and fitting a non power quick rack.
Well I took the power steering off to reduce weight. I did get a non ps rack but it has a different lock to lock ratio. Now I will have camber and slicks to deal with I am planning to put an electric hydraulic power steering unit in. Very simple to do.

Now I will have camber and slicks to deal with I am planning to put an electric hydraulic power steering unit in. Very simple to do.

Tell me your thoughts. I've been doing some research too, after having PAS issues last race meeting.

Subframe welded. Time to clean down engine bay. I can't get the pressure washer into the garage so it will have to be done by the Armstrong method. It's not too bad though.
b85fcb1b38c831597b1446a427425be6.jpg
32a8f9a3a602c642b48b0dffad3b460f.jpg

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Need some recommendations regarding piston ring brands. Pistons are standard sizing.

Looking at the Mahle brand.....

Last edited:
How much did you hone out of the liners to clean them up? Can the rings be gapped to suit? Or are they designed as a standard replacement? If the latter, you may have excessive ring gap. Don't forget 0.001" on the diameter equates to 0.003" on the perimeter (or ring gap).

How much did you hone out of the liners to clean them up? Can the rings be gapped to suit? Or are they designed as a standard replacement? If the latter, you may have excessive ring gap. Don't forget 0.001" on the diameter equates to 0.003" on the perimeter (or ring gap).
I don't know how to answer this Peter. I took the liners to Donnelly engineering to be measured with the balance of the engine. They say they found less than 30 thou wear onto the liner saying I can use the same size piston without machining. I'm presuming by that response I use a standard size ring as the piston size has not increased to 83.5 or 84mm.

You do know 30 thou is 3/4 of 1mm, that's a fair gap, a piston one size up or 83.5 should fit in there already! Not sure on how much play is required but I believe the remaining 10 thou (piston takes 20) should be fine?

Peter will answer this.

I don't know how to answer this Peter. I took the liners to Donnelly engineering to be measured with the balance of the engine. They say they found less than 30 thou wear onto the liner saying I can use the same size piston without machining. I'm presuming by that response I use a standard size ring as the piston size has not increased to 83.5 or 84mm.

Yes, they're weird numbers. 30 thou is indeed 0.030" or 0.75mm. The standard piston is approx. 83.00 and has less than 0.001" clearance. If for example you honed the liners to give 0.002" clearance, a standard ring gap would increase from 0.014" to 0.017". That's ok in a track engine but less so a street engine. Honing to 0.003" clearance would push the standard ring gap to 0.020", definitely race or blown engine territory. Having a ring that hasn't been "gapped" will allow you set the ring gap to your needs. Most replacement rings are pre-gapped, designed for "drop-in" rebuilds at the local mechanic.

You do know 30 thou is 3/4 of 1mm, that's a fair gap, a piston one size up or 83.5 should fit in there already! Not sure on how much play is required but I believe the remaining 10 thou (piston takes 20) should be fine?

Peter will answer this.
Ok I might have this figure incorrect..... I'll confirm sizes when I get it back

Yes, they're weird numbers. 30 thou is indeed 0.030" or 0.75mm. The standard piston is approx. 83.00 and has less than 0.001" clearance. If for example you honed the liners to give 0.002" clearance, a standard ring gap would increase from 0.014" to 0.017". That's ok in a track engine but less so a street engine. Honing to 0.003" clearance would push the standard ring gap to 0.020", definitely race or blown engine territory. Having a ring that hasn't been "gapped" will allow you set the ring gap to your needs. Most replacement rings are pre-gapped, designed for "drop-in" rebuilds at the local mechanic.
Ok so how do you gap a ring?