many Renaults and parts *STOLEN*, Epping VIC :(

jonf above (post #141) is both a lawyer and a media presenter. He has offered to help. Have you made contact?
Having listened to his program for years, I think his advice would be very valuable.

Vivid, your distress will be relieved by getting some legal advice and input from Jonf. Embarking on your own strategy without good advice will result in more distress and very likely a poor outcome. I have no knowledge of jonf however he would appear to have the skills, knowledge and potential media connection you need.
The offer of assistance from lawyer jonf came up back in September last year. Did you take his advice ? What was the outcome ?

Yes, I don’t want to broadcast it all here but Jon’s advice included not submitting a complaint to police, and we were investigating my expectations and what tact was best to take.

I’ve made contact with Jon again and no doubt he’ll have some practical advice.

the local wrecker who iv bought parts from in the past ,mainly Volvo for my sons car ,had a list of parts that he had to show id from the buyer ,he also had to log with RTA the vins of every car when they arrived in the yard ,these cars were automatically shown as stat right offs and the vins thrown in the bin on the system never to be used again ,all of this to prevent re berthing ,,this is in NSW i don't know what the go is in VIC ,maybe this is a scrap metal yard, so doesn't come under the same rules as a motor trader. me thinks

the local wrecker who iv bought parts from in the past ,mainly Volvo for my sons car ,had a list of parts that he had to show id from the buyer ,he also had to log with RTA the vins of every car when they arrived in the yard ,these cars were automatically shown as stat right offs and the vins thrown in the bin on the system never to be used again ,all of this to prevent re berthing ,,this is in NSW i don't know what the go is in VIC ,maybe this is a scrap metal yard, so doesn't come under the same rules as a motor trader. me thinks
yes this guy is a registered wrecker and these rules should also apply.

however I have no authority (of course) nor does any private investigator to compell him to give this information up.

I've reluctantly decided to buy my stolen cars back. Another wrecker (who is a friend of a friend's) has his own business in the area and is going to bargain a price for me, they are currently asking $800 each for them.

He can store them for a couple of weeks, which gives me a little respite to find alternative arrangements.
What hurts most about the burgundy 16 is it was dent free, relatively rust free (rust in the drivers sill, thats about it) and I've payed for over 15 years of dry storage for this to then happen to them.
The only thing that stopped me driving the 16 over was that I discovered it was vandelised when I'd arrived and didn't have time to source parts to repair it there and then.

Ideal situation would be to locate the glass for the burgundy one, and give it a once over.
Replace its fuel lines, possibly brake lines, and any suspect hoses, drive it on and off the boat via a trailer at both ends.
I use a brake place in Melbourne that can turn around replacement lines in a day given the originals to copy from.

The late model white R16 its less of an option. Apparently the dash has been removed, and the engine bay has been cannibalised.

In the meantime an AF member who is retired from the police force is drafting a letter on my behalf to express their embarresment in the police's inaction and the distress its causing me and some other members on this forum, and demand correspondance be made.
Hopefully that will see some results, and movement in any sort of investigation, and if not an explination at the very least.

I've also been in contact with Jon F for some (casual) legal advice as to any demands for information from the wrecker I may be able to make after I've secured the remaining vehicles.

Turns out there was a buyer in Ballarat that purchased 4 of the cars from said wreckers, with a bunch of parts.

Thankyou to Haakon and Berridale (today) for taking the time out to do some investigation on my behalf.

I'm still just staggered by all this nonsense. Hope you make progress from now on. I guess a certain R12 cylinder head was in there too!

I'm still just staggered by all this nonsense. Hope you make progress from now on. I guess a certain R12 cylinder head was in there too!
Thank God no John.

I have the R12 cyl head here with me, and I brought the TX gearbox home in the 16TSA many years ago.
I also have an openwheeler and R12 wagon that could take the head.

There is a bunch of TX trim that has gone missing from that burgundy car (was stacked full of trim off about 6 cars)
The doors for the R16 are still at Epping I beleive as the theives missed them.

Wow. That is another level.

What did you do about your neighbours?

I mean, man, that is your family in danger.
I took this on as a project in a very calculated way.
It was either sell up and hope the next place had civilised neighbours or dig in and do battle.

Recourse is not to be found often when dealing with the system.
It was a bitter disappointment the sheep going missing and the inaction by police .
Some locals knew more but wouldn't say.
Some inter-related so it is good to be discrete

Years later the person is toast.

yup I feel the same way. I think I have a fair idea who sold my cars, and I don't require the same amount of proof a court does to satisfy me.
If the police don't take action, he will keep.
If I don't catch up with them someone else will.

I have an auto immune disorder which is catching up on me fast.
This was my retirement plan, in the next few years, however I have to reset and put this behind me, tho its a very bitter pill to swallow.

I don't have a spare 50k 100k to replace this stuff, so I just have to come to terms with it eventually and move on.
I just wish I had something to show for the time and effort.

Its consumed 2/3 of a year of my life, and not doing me any physical or mental favours.
I don't think I will ever get the result I want, which I am only now coming to terms with.

Just collect as much info, names, addresses, phone numbers and evidence , pictures.
This is what the "System " wants.

Years ago I had a house broken into. Only a cordless drill and a new Whipper Snipper were stolen. The Whipper Snipper was brand new so I had the purchase receipt with the serial number on it.

Knowing that pawn stores have to hold an item for 2 weeks until they can sell it, I waited my 2 weeks and walked into my local (about 8km's away) pawn store (a Big Brand franchise pawn store). Sure enough, there was my Whipper Snipper on the floor for sale - still with the serial number on it. I approached the staff and explained the situation and they informed me the police would have to grind some paperwork to release it.

I reported the issue to the local constabulary and received a case number. The police approched the pawn broker and found that the thief had sold it to the pawn store using photo id - genuine photo id. No one ever said thieves were smart. The police arrested the thief and found quite a lot of stolen property at his house and so generously offered him several more charges. The thief received several convictions for his efforts.

In the mean time, no-one had siezed the stolen property at the pawn broker, who ended up selling the 'evidence' as they had no instructions to hold the property.

So after I handed the police the thief, with the evidence, and several more convictions for their stats for the month I found I was still missing my Whipper Snipper. When I complained loudly to the local Sergeant I was informed 'he would look after it'. A couple of days later two officers knocked on my front door - carrying a new Whipper Snipper. One of them informed me that due to his personal short sightedness he had been told by his Sergeant to personally buy and pay for a new replacement item, and present it to me. I was more than grateful as anyone would be.

This was quite a bit of leg work for me but worth the effort.

Cheers

Justin

Meanwhile in NSW, if you want the NSW Police to turn up instantly to your 'problem', it helps to be the local Federal MP and you and/or your team make a false property damage complaint to ward off pesky locals with questions and a camera. Can't make this up.
Enjoy the insanity and effective use of police resources ...

Meanwhile in NSW, if you want the NSW Police to turn up instantly to your 'problem', it helps to be the local Federal MP and you and/or your team make a false property damage complaint to ward off pesky locals with questions and a camera. Can't make this up.

They were around like a flash!

politics - because she crossed the floor?
No. Where was any partisan political issue even raised???
Why would you drag that into what is simply a story of misuse of NSW Police and their questionable priorities?
She is his local member. No policy issue was raised. No question was asked or answered.
Is a party of 5 police vehicles plus a fire engine an appropriate response here?

Take anything you see on that person's youtube channel with a large sack of salt - he was front and centre at the fukcwit freedumb protests in Canberra...

Reactions: IWS
Nonetheless I suggest it is closer to political than a lot of us might feel prudent going - in the interest of keeping the peace.

Police forces aren't ideal and we all have issues at times when we don't get the response we want (or any response) but from their point of view they're hopelessly understaffed with masses of complaints from minor to major that don't go anywhere and endless paperwork. I was satisfied with the response to our sheep duffing complaint and their strategy was explained to me. Other theft complaints have gone nowhere but that's the way it is. If there is a major incident involving life they do respond quickly. Not a great job, dealing with the dregs of society, seeing some awful things and of course lots don't like them. Sometimes they can be very good and supportive of victims of major crimes, brave even when they saved many people on Black Saturday while their Chief Commissioner went dining and Minister went to the tennis. Other times just so bossy and authoritarian and unpleasant to work with. If a case isn't simple you're not sure what the response will be. But there are worse in other countries. Worthy of two cheers.

Police forces aren't ideal and we all have issues at times when we don't get the response we want (or any response) but from their point of view they're hopelessly understaffed with masses of complaints from minor to major that don't go anywhere and endless paperwork. I was satisfied with the response to our sheep duffing complaint and their strategy was explained to me. Other theft complaints have gone nowhere but that's the way it is. If there is a major incident involving life they do respond quickly. Not a great job, dealing with the dregs of society, seeing some awful things and of course lots don't like them. Sometimes they can be very good and supportive of victims of major crimes, brave even when they saved many people on Black Saturday while their Chief Commissioner went dining and Minister went to the tennis. Other times just so bossy and authoritarian and unpleasant to work with. If a case isn't simple you're not sure what the response will be. But there are worse in other countries. Worthy of two cheers.
I'd like to point out I have had good experiences with VicPol (St Kilda)
I had a wallet stolen from an open window (stupid me) in a panic to catch the boat to TAS after they'd turned me away (leaving my fuel cap at the servo at 5AM 30km away)

Within literally 10 mins of calling them I got a knock on the door, and the second officer was already dusting the car for prints.

Of course I missed the boat, police lifted CCTV footage, identified persons and the next day my wallet was personally returned to me!