Manic 108 rebuild onto new R8 /10 platform

Manic Gt

I have just looked at this thread for the first time. In absolute awe of what you have achieved. Look forward to seeing more updates.

Cheers,

Dano

Its been a while since I have had a chance to get back at my Manic build so now finally I have some time set aside to proceed a little further . I am trying to deal with the lights again ! I have moved residences and now I am starting to gather up all the pieces to see how much may have been stored in that safe spot that I cannot remember where place ? This is a picture of my old ordinal car's front signal and rear back up lights plus the licence plate light . The reason I am saying original to my car is because some of the Manic cars I collected had a different version but I would at least like to know what my original lenses where from.
View attachment 118782View attachment 118783
Thanks for your help
Manic GT

Your back up lights in the top right corner (blue arrows) of your pic are from the R12.

Your original turn signal & park lights (blue arrows) also look like they are from an R12.

The turn signal & park lights (black arrows) look like they are from an R16

Hope this helps.

I think those "front signal and park lights from?" are R16, also used on square headlamp R10s if that helps. I can't make out all the others.

Great to see you are making progress! Keep it up....

Cheers

I think those "front signal and park lights from?" are R16, also used on square headlamp R10s if that helps. I can't make out all the others.

Great to see you are making progress! Keep it up....

Cheers

I think your right there John, I had seen them on other Renaults but could not think which ones.

Typical Renault using the same part on several models.

Thanks for input so it looks like I should be on the look out for the R16 front lenses for the next couple of builds although the R12 ones may work in a pinch . I suppose it makes sense the R16 parts would have been more available when the Manic was starting out in the initial design stages the R12 had not really made it into production stages yet . The latter cars got rid of the lower lights and moved them to the top side of the bumper and used what looked like a R8 round light .

I still have no input on the licence plate light I suppose it could also be off the R16 as well ?

Manic Gt

Could you please post a clear photo of that license plate light?

I hope this one comes across a little better Manic 108 licence plate light.jpg

I had mentioned that the newer versions moved the signal lights above bumper so I will also include a picture of the newer one that was set to be sold to the USA .group shot.jpg
Hope to get the lights sorted so I can move onto the wiring and more body assembly .

thanks again for the help
Manic gt

I'm not 100% sure but the Manic 108 photo does look like the ones that were on our R12 Estate, mounted at each side of the number plate. It's been at least a decade since I've seen one.....

I'm not 100% sure but the Manic 108 photo does look like the ones that were on our R12 Estate, mounted at each side of the number plate. It's been at least a decade since I've seen one.....

The R12 Wagon number plate lights are larger than those shown in Manic GT's photos and the Australian version has the reverse light incorporated in the number plate light, although you can get them with out the reversing light.

You may get lucky if you Google the part number that is on the number plate light and select "images" and see what turns up. I can't quite make out the numbers from the photo.

A little more progress with the Manic but also some more questions ! I was wondering about a neutral safety switch for the R8/10 cars ? The manuals I have been using makes reference to them but not any wiring diagrams or pictures of the setup . I am interested in upgrading the wiring of the Manic to a little more modern times ! There was a death in our community of a Mechanic who was working on a older vintage car it started when he asked a friend to reach in and turn the key to see if it would turn over and start It was in gear and the car crushed him against the wall .

I have completed the window mechanism rebuilds installed the lights bumpers and most of the wiring figured out . I installed a 12 fuse box that indicates a blown fuses and also got rid of the foot switch for high and low beams and changed out the 4 way safety lights switch to a more acceptable small unit . Also added multiple relays for head lights and horn circuit .

IMG_3429 small.jpg

I will also attach a few more pictures of the Manic Progress thus far including the illustrating of the Borrowed pieces from the Renault parts bin .
IMG_3439small.jpgIMG_3438small.jpgIMG_3423small.jpgIMG_3432 small.jpgIMG_3431small.jpgIMG_3429 small.jpgIMG_3427 small.jpgIMG_3428 small.jpgIMG_3430 small.jpg

Hi Manic GT :)
Good looking car and lots of good work being done and documented ! Should end up with a great unique vehicle.
Wow rewiring look scarey before you get it bundled up into a harness :(
Thanks for posting:)
Jaahn

Great photos thank you! What a fascinating car. Best wishes for more of the rebuild!

Much progress since the last updates. The car looks great with that colour. I recall you were trying to solve some gear linkage issues when I last looked at the progress on the build, I assume that was sorted.

I do like your car Manic GT! Great colour too. But not that from scratch wiring job. Glad your doing it. Thanks for posting

Headlights look convex but you say they're R8/10. We got the concave glass, which in my opinion looks better though I am not sure how much it helps with aerodynamics. Anyhoo. Was the convex glass a North America thing?

Can you get a tapered chrome bezel for the headlights? It would look better in my opinion. The square bezel sticking above the bodywork is a bit frogeyed to my eye and the black really draws attention to it. You might have to go smaller diameter headlight glass. I think a Toyota Liteace headlight might be the go but you'd have to find a bezel for it.

They had sealed or at least semi sealed convex headlights in USA.