Manic 108 rebuild onto new R8 /10 platform

Yes, there are two or three complete drivetrains, 5 speed gearbox, roll cage, 1600 cc (no doubt a later addition) being one of them. Canadian salt did the chassis no favours, even here in mild British Columbia.

Did you know about 00152? I often wonder how many unknown ones are left.
I think 152 was not on our current list so thanks for info ! any more you know of would be appreciated . I think we are up to around 50 to 55 cars at this point .. appox 5 possibly in Europe. It has been rumored that appox 60 cars where still on shop floor unfinished when doors where closed !

I sent you some more in the private message. I think this may have been the car I remember parking on the street in Kitsilano in Vancouver back in the 1980s, but I can't be sure.

I've just came accross this link. I'm sure you Manic guys must have seen it before. For the others, a good history of the short life of the Manic.

The similarities that I came accross by reading that history is very similar to the Matra Jet, and it happened at the exact same time frame. Renault supplied engines and gearboxes to Matra and then some manager at the time realised that they were supplying equipment to manufacturers that would most likely be opposition to them in motor sport competition. Just before the new Matra model was released (530) the support was withdrawn and Matra sat without engines and gearboxes. Therefor the 1700 Ford V4 was fitted and the "new" model was substantially slower than the old model.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/a2...M1FXuSBUZch6vRAZxsauWmzIgReh1JcjPFwWLeIoDOebk

Frans.

thanks for the info Frans interesting to hear makes one wonder if there where a few other small start up companies that Renault may have stopped the supply lines on ?? Did they not also limit the performance pieces to the lotus guy's back in the day ?

Manic GT

thanks for the info Frans interesting to hear makes one wonder if there where a few other small start up companies that Renault may have stopped the supply lines on ?? Did they not also limit the performance pieces to the lotus guy's back in the day ?

Manic GT
I have this delicious memory that Renault outsmarted Colin Chapman there by selling him a batch of up-rated R16 engines not long before the TS engine was released. Given CC wasn't slothful in business....... Maybe there was an issue fitting in the crossflow system? Not sure.

Spending some time waiting on crank bearings during our lock down that just ended I decided on catching up on my postings .

This is what I have decided to experiment with for a engine for #108 hope pictures explains my experiment . I am using a 810 block as a base with the holes for the sleeves bored out to the 812 base size so it will accept a modified 1397 sleeves which I also bored to 77mm. I plan on using a 688 crank to give me a short stroke engine . The block is already now prepared to accept the 812 sleeves and head so if I do not like the experiment I still can go in that direction . The rods are modified to use floating wrist pins and the pistons which I cut to install circlips to keep wrist pin in place . The pistons are from a 1565 R16 engine . I also will be using a shaved 1289 head which cc's at about 32 . Will do more calculations and measurements to hopefully get me around 10.5 :1 compression . I had a cam ground to give me a very sporty street performance !

Just a update !

Manic GT

IMG_3500 small.JPG
IMG_3517 small.jpg
IMG_3509 small.JPG
IMG_3515 small.jpg
IMG_3514 small.JPG
IMG_3518 small.jpg

Again this is me just experimenting for now !

I like the interesting mods. Floating wrist pins are a better idea than the interference fit. Getting them in and out is always frought with the chance of damage to a piston. Can't you get 1596 cc R12 G pistons any more? They would have given 10.25 : 1 compression without need for head shaving. Like the photos. Thanks for the update.

I like the interesting mods. Floating wrist pins are a better idea than the interference fit. Getting them in and out is always frought with the chance of damage to a piston. Can't you get 1596 cc R12 G pistons any more? They would have given 10.25 : 1 compression without need for head shaving. Like the photos. Thanks for the update.
Probably could but being a experiment I was just using up old inventory . I since found some 1565 flat tops but for now I will try this . I have set it up so the pistons can be easily exchanged and upgraded to take the 1255 head That I still have in spare inventory .

Manicgt,

How did you cut the circlip grooves into the piston? When I got my new pistons, there wasn't a groove for them either and I tried to figure a way without a 4-jaw chuck but couldn't do it.

I then went and bought a Teflon rod and made these plugs. I have used them in previous race engines and they work well provided you cut a slot or hole in them because if the air inside the piston pins heats up it starts pushing the pins out and it creates another groove on the inside of the barrel. Learnt the hard way!

Frans.

Attachments

• GudgeonPlug1.jpg
    GudgeonPlug1.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 109
  • GudgeonPlug2.jpg
    GudgeonPlug2.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 110
Manicgt,

How did you cut the circlip grooves into the piston? When I got my new pistons, there wasn't a groove for them either and I tried to figure a way without a 4-jaw chuck but couldn't do it.

I then went and bought a Teflon rod and made these plugs. I have used them in previous race engines and they work well provided you cut a slot or hole in them because if the air inside the piston pins heats up it starts pushing the pins out and it creates another groove on the inside of the barrel. Learnt the hard way!

Frans.
Very clever Frans! Hope you haven't just been shaken about too much!

He is still using the R12 Wedge head, so the flat tops will be the best choice. If looking for even more compression the head can be angle milled a couple of mm, rather than cutting it down straight.

Manicgt,

Frans.
I wish my old computer had not died it had all the pictures showing how the circlip grooves where cut and a picture is worth a thousand words ! I will try to explain with words ! I turned down a rod that was the wrist pin size than drilled and tapped the one end with a tapered pipe tap . Than I cut 2 slots across the tapped portion so that when you thread in the tapered plug it would expand the end . It is basically the same as a collect would work ! when inserted into the wrist pin hole it will lock the piston in place . I than spend some time custom grinding a high speed bit for my tool holder that had a hook on the end the proper width for the circlip . Frans I would have followed your lead with using teeth from a saw blade welded onto the end of a rod for the tool cutter but since this was a test case did not go that far with the effort . The piston cut easily after all it is just aluminum based ? I can take a picture of wrist pin home made holder if you like ?
Manic gt

No need Manic, I understand and it is actually very simple once you've seen or heard about it. Funny, isn't it always like that? I have my own secret way (don't know how secret it is) of clamping a piston to machine the tops off. That is in a small average lathe like mine without even touching sides to do damage with the jaws.
Frans.

No need Manic, I understand and it is actually very simple once you've seen or heard about it. Funny, isn't it always like that? I have my own secret way (don't know how secret it is) of clamping a piston to machine the tops off. That is in a small average lathe like mine without even touching sides to do damage with the jaws.
Frans.
With a answer like that you got me curious as to whether your piston clamping is patented or how different it would be compared to how I would approach machining a piston if needed ?

I sure like working on these smaller engines compared to the the large old cast north American V8's ! But waiting on parts for them sure is a down side her in Canada .

stay well
Manic GT

Finally my bearings arrived so full assembly can start I thought! Than I discovered they where the wrong size ! They where ordered correctly packing slip stated correct numbers but picked wrong from the shelf and than shipped . I guess another 2 weeks to wait on parts !!
I decided to start on interior work so I put things away again and moved in the sewing machine and some pieces to start on the interior.
I should mention at this point that my wife said that her home sewing machine was not heavy enough after she watch me build my last set of seats so I needed to get my own sewing machine so I guess the learning curve continues !

The Manic uses a fiberglass seat frame but I was wondering what the seat rails are from I am guessing R16 ?? hope picture clear enough ! any help on the rails would be appreciated .

Thanks again
Manic GT

Attachments

• IMG_3525 small.jpg
    IMG_3525 small.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_3523 small.jpg
    IMG_3523 small.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_3539 small.JPG
    IMG_3539 small.JPG
    238.3 KB · Views: 132