Longstroke ds/id census

That is just looking terrific! Its an interesting history and a commendable restoration.

PD5F27JD1MIOE6IH_medium.jpg

Chassis # 19114730

...and this '64 ID

64ID19ozCGN109.jpg

Cheers

Donat

The second picture is from when I purchased the car (whilst living overseas) in 2004, and David Cavanagh rescued it for me from a barn near Kyneton in Victoria. It had spent much of its life in Wodonga, and belonged at one point to Jon Faine (of ABC radio Melbourne). It was definitely a West Heidelberg car, and it was in very original (and on David's advice, restorable) condition. The most significant issue, predictably, was rust in sections of the frame, although this was fixable.

I subsequently returned to Australia, although to Canberra and not Melbourne, and made some progress through David in commencing basic works, such as recoring the radiator, rebuilding hydraulic pump etc. I reluctantly sold it in 2005, after concluding that I wasn't in a position to restore it. I understand the new owner then intended to restore it, but I am not sure what happened afterward. David may be able to shed some light. I regret selling it now, as it would have been a great project.

AM

OK see what you can do with this info. I've started with DS19 as there are many less of them than all the ID19. Please aknowledge that this info is from what I believe to be CITCO sales ledgers that are in the possesion of the CCCNSW.]

One of the interesting things to note about these records for 1957 DS sales is that only one (660, Buttercup) of the known survivors as listed in the long-stroke census is listed in the CITCO ledgers. It begs the question of where the others (463, 528, 779, 857, 906, 1060, 1075, 1148) came from - Melbourne, NZ?
roger

Bob has about 4 of them.... Sadly almost beyond repair :(

1961 ID19 Heidleberg... came from North of Melb (shepparton) sold to my mate yrs ago..then sold...pretty sure this car came up recently for sale after being painted/restored?? will try to find the body data

View attachment 44665View attachment 44666

I recently bought the nicely restored, black with white roof, 61 ID in Canberra.

Continental & General:
Now lives in Eganstown near Daylesford Vic and hopes to be on the road soon.
john

I recently bought the nicely restored, black with white roof, 61 ID in Canberra.

Continental & General:
Now lives in Eganstown near Daylesford Vic and hopes to be on the road soon.
john

Hi John,

Can you give us the Serial number from the Continental & General plate, if you have it? It is almost certainly a sequence number of production out of Heidelberg, hence it is very useful.

thanks, Leconte

Ps looks like a beautiful car and a very wise purchase! Congratulations.

There was another number - 6277, I think.
July 1962?
having the clutch pivot fixed at the moment, should be back on the road real soon. No seat belts will that be a problem for vic club plates?
thanks,
John

July 1962?
having the clutch pivot fixed at the moment, should be back on the road real soon. No seat belts will that be a problem for vic club plates?
thanks,
John

Put some belts in ... There's mounting points under the rear seat cushions for belts. You can look at my cars to figure out how to fit front belts.

seeya,
Shane L.

July 1962?
thanks,
John

Hi John,

The "series" number on the Continental & General plate is believed to be a sequence number of output from the Heidelberg (Victoria) assembly plant. Starting in July 1961 at 6000 or 6001, I would say 6277 would be produced in very late 1961 or early 1962. They eventually used numbers up to 6999 and then went to the series starting with 12nnn in mid 1964. There is a lot of information about the series numbering if you read back through this thread from the beginning.
As far as seat belts go, it may be 35 years of government brainwashing but personally I wouldn't be driving an ID without a functioning seat belt - too much power and mass. However if they were not originally fitted, then my understanding is that the club permit scheme would allow registration without them, although it may depend on the safety officer of the club you get it checked by.
Regards, Leconte

A bit more information on Heidelberg built cars regarding series numbers & changes.

Since acquiring my Heidelberg built car last year I have been collecting the details that is to found in the C&G identification plate and have now collected the information on over 60 cars.
This includes the details supplied by Donat back in 2011. (Thank you Donat).
Of these cars a rough estimation may be 15-20 cars "on the road" (running & registered) and that number again either undergoing or awaiting restoration.
The remaining cars are either total wrecks or just "bits & pieces"and in some cases all that remains is the C&G ID plate.

Looking at the "series" numbers it can be assumed that the first 999 cars (series numbers 6001-699) were built between August 1961 and around February/ March 1964.
The car with series number 6999 was delivered on 6 May 1964 so it is a fair assumption that it was built 2 or 3 months prior to this.
Regarding the cars with the series number commencing with "6" roughly 650 had the early (1st) front with the remainder having the second front and other modifications that had been introduced.

The last series number I have is 12193 and this is reputed to be the last car either built or sold (or both).
If this is the case it means that total production was less than 1200 cars which is some 200 less than the figure of 1400 that is commonly quoted.
This car also has the colour code as 225 6761 and is the only car I have recorded with the colour code prefix of 225.
All the cars with the series number commencing with "12" apart from the one above and one other all have the colour 222 6761 which is the "unknown" white.
The odd one out is series number 12006 with colour 222 0070 (black).

The rarest of the Heidelberg built cars are the ones that have the second style dash.
the only car I have recorded with this dash is the one currently owned by "Leconte" (series 12193).

The car that is owned by"Le Parisian" and who posted photographs of his car last year has the series number 12157 and has the OLD dash.
If indeed "Lecontes" car is the last one built this means that less than 40 cars were built using the "new" dash.

To summarize it can be assumed that in the first two and a half years of production a thousand cars built and in the following two odd years less than two hundred cars were built.
It would be great to know as to exactly when production ceased however it is obvious that in the final months (or year) production had almost ceased.

Brian W

We might have to go back, do the rounds and get series numbers from our fellow Heidelberg ID owners. Mine is 6491.

Cheers for the info, Brian.

Since acquiring my Heidelberg built car last year I have been collecting the details that is to found in the C&G identification plate and have now collected the information on over 60 cars.
This includes the details supplied by Donat back in 2011. (Thank you Donat).
Of these cars a rough estimation may be 15-20 cars "on the road" (running & registered) and that number again either undergoing or awaiting restoration.
The remaining cars are either total wrecks or just "bits & pieces"and in some cases all that remains is the C&G ID plate.

Looking at the "series" numbers it can be assumed that the first 999 cars (series numbers 6001-699) were built between August 1961 and around February/ March 1964.
The car with series number 6999 was delivered on 6 May 1964 so it is a fair assumption that it was built 2 or 3 months prior to this.
Regarding the cars with the series number commencing with "6" roughly 650 had the early (1st) front with the remainder having the second front and other modifications that had been introduced.

The last series number I have is 12193 and this is reputed to be the last car either built or sold (or both).
If this is the case it means that total production was less than 1200 cars which is some 200 less than the figure of 1400 that is commonly quoted.
This car also has the colour code as 225 6761 and is the only car I have recorded with the colour code prefix of 225.
All the cars with the series number commencing with "12" apart from the one above and one other all have the colour 222 6761 which is the "unknown" white.
The odd one out is series number 12006 with colour 222 0070 (black).

The rarest of the Heidelberg built cars are the ones that have the second style dash.
the only car I have recorded with this dash is the one currently owned by "Leconte" (series 12193).

The car that is owned by"Le Parisian" and who posted photographs of his car last year has the series number 12157 and has the OLD dash.
If indeed "Lecontes" car is the last one built this means that less than 40 cars were built using the "new" dash.

To summarize it can be assumed that in the first two and a half years of production a thousand cars built and in the following two odd years less than two hundred cars were built.
It would be great to know as to exactly when production ceased however it is obvious that in the final months (or year) production had almost ceased.

Brian W

I have two running and registered aussie built ID19's on the road .. (well registered as in club permits). Infact I'm driving one around today!

You sure do stand out driving an old ID around :)

seeya
Shane L.

Mine is on full rego and I drive it to work 3x a week. It may be the only Heidelberg ID on full reg in the country.

Hi Shane,
Could you please supply me with the information (C&G ID plates) on your two "on the road" cars so that I can add them to my list.
I believe I already have the info on the "brown" car in your shed.

I am now starting to think that I have underestimated the number of cars that are "on the road".

Regards,
Brian W

Hi. I have a 66 ID 19 Parisienne, a lovely car. I've been viewing this site and thought I should let you know about the details of my car. Series: 12202. Colour: 2254319, Lido Blue. I believe I'm the 3rd owner, having bought it out of Melbourne a few years ago. It has about 110 k miles on it. It's completely original except for Marchal driving lights I sourced and fitted, and a central armrest. It also has had a repainted at some time. Cheers, Richard.

Last ID19 produced at Heidelberg?

Hi. I have a 66 ID 19 Parisienne, a lovely car. I've been viewing this site and thought I should let you know about the details of my car. Series: 12202. Colour: 2254319, Lido Blue. I believe I'm the 3rd owner, having bought it out of Melbourne a few years ago. It has about 110 k miles on it. It's completely original except for Marchal driving lights I sourced and fitted, and a central armrest. It also has had a repainted at some time. Cheers, Richard.

Hi Richard, thank you very much for chiming in here. You ID19 sounds very nice and very low mileage for these cars. With your series number of 12202, it looks like the mantle of the newest produced Heidelberg car (i.e. the last produced that is still surviving) passes to you - mine is the one referenced above which has a series number 12193, being lower than your that means yours (we believe) rolled off the production line some 11 cars after mine.

That would mean (can you confirm this) your has the second dash with a black steering wheel and the motor with the round harmonic disk at the rear end of it (you would have to get under the car to see the harmonic balancer but you cannot miss it from underneath). This is very exciting because as Brian says, mine is the only one of its configuration sighted in recent times. Would you be able to share the engine number and some photos would be great?

Best regards, leconte

Hi Leconte. Have attempted to add photos.

Hi Leconte. I've attempted to add photos. Car is as you described with that idiotic external harmonic balancer. You'll also notice that the rear wing bolts are blue. I painted them until I get around to rechroming them. I had the arm rest made from a piece of original upholstery.

Hi Richard, thank you very much for chiming in here. You ID19 sounds very nice and very low mileage for these cars. With your series number of 12202, it looks like the mantle of the newest produced Heidelberg car (i.e. the last produced that is still surviving) passes to you - mine is the one referenced above which has a series number 12193, being lower than your that means yours (we believe) rolled off the production line some 11 cars after mine.

That would mean (can you confirm this) your has the second dash with a black steering wheel and the motor with the round harmonic disk at the rear end of it (you would have to get under the car to see the harmonic balancer but you cannot miss it from underneath). This is very exciting because as Brian says, mine is the only one of its configuration sighted in recent times. Would you be able to share the engine number and some photos would be great?

Best regards, leconte

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 449
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 433
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 437
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 424
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 435
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 425
Hi Leconte. I've attempted to add photos. Car is as you described with that idiotic external harmonic balancer. You'll also notice that the rear wing bolts are blue. I painted them until I get around to rechroming them. I had the arm rest made from a piece of original upholstery.

It looks lovely Richard. Very very nice. Definitely late Heidelberg production and looks like the same specs as mine. Funny thing, your "air sock" under the bonnet is green-blue to suit your upholstery (?) while mine is red which matches my upholstery! I wonder if they really did that or is it just coincidence.

Your engine number 193018760 is "later" (higher) than mine, which is 193018733. I pass you the baton of "last produced Heidelberg ID" (surviving).

Thanks for posting photos,
Leconte