Longstroke ds/id census

congrats on the purschase of the 62 ID, what a beautiful looking car. Judging by the history, will be a really reliable ID for years to come.... enjoy!

The Grey one is still in Melbourne. Owner may be distracted temporarily by other cars.

Would like to understand what it is that marks driving the long stroke D out, when compared with the later car. Is it generally considered that the driving experience is better? Am familiar with the later engines and I'd always assumed the pre-66 cars would be terribly slow but am I missing something here?

Cheers

Marc

The earlier long stroke engined cars had a much more relaxed personality, although if stirred they could move surprisingly quick.
With more torque lower down than the later 2 litre engines & an unburstable 23mph / 1000 RPM top gear [19.5mph most ID & 4 speed Dspecials], they had a delightfully long relaxed touring gate, with a touring fuel consumption nudging 40 MPG.
The suspensions were also softer in all aspects, with smaller antiroll bars, so you really haven't experienced the full ride possibilities of a D until you have ridden in a properly set up early car. The side to side rock of the later cars, especially the injected ones, is almost absent , but roll angles are steeper as a result.
Of course the single lug wheels are a genius design, so convenient & with the use of the crank handle extension shaft, even a child can refit them.
The ID19 Confort & DS19 cars had better upholstery, thick sponge foam carpet underlays, firewall insulation, & proper heating, so are much quieter & very desirable.
Because they all used the early vegetable based hydraulic fluid they even smelled different.
If you can find one that is not totally rusted away grab it & experience what the original D was all about.

Richard

The earlier long stroke engined cars had a much more relaxed personality, although if stirred they could move surprisingly quick.
With more torque lower down than the later 2 litre engines & an unburstable 23mph / 1000 RPM top gear [19.5mph most ID & 4 speed Dspecials], they had a delightfully long relaxed touring gate, with a touring fuel consumption nudging 40 MPG.
The suspensions were also softer in all aspects, with smaller antiroll bars, so you really haven't experienced the full ride possibilities of a D until you have ridden in a properly set up early car. The side to side rock of the later cars, especially the injected ones, is almost absent , but roll angles are steeper as a result.
Of course the single lug wheels are a genius design, so convenient & with the use of the crank handle extension shaft, even a child can refit them.
The ID19 Confort & DS19 cars had better upholstery, thick sponge foam carpet underlays, firewall insulation, & proper heating, so are much quieter & very desirable.
Because they all used the early vegetable based hydraulic fluid they even smelled different.
If you can find one that is not totally rusted away grab it & experience what the original D was all about.

Richard

Thanks very much for explaining that Richard. Does this apply to all pre-66 cars, or is there a significant difference between the first nose and second nose cars?

I believe the 1st nose cars were the softest sprung, certainly my '60 ID was of all my cars ranging up to '74.. The refinements & developments started from day one, with the first major milestone the release of the bare bones ID in'58, with it's back to front column change in RHD form. I don't think the 1st nose ID was ever available in Confort specification, so the contrast in trim was all or nothing until the 2nd nose in '63. There were variations between those cars assembled in the UK & Australia too.
There are others here who are far better informed than me who can advise you . Also there are heaps of good publications you can research for more details.
I doubt that there isn't a D enthusiast who wouldn't kill for a pristine barn find 50s DS19, & the early nose IDs are fast growing in value too.

Richard

Hi Gerry. I've decided to sell the Citroen. Have yet to figure out how best to advertise it but thought I'd let you know first. Cheers, Richard. 0412 398 723.

another early ID to add to the register
this time a French assembled 1960 ID19....
P1011492.jpgP1011496.jpgP1011497.jpgP1011500.jpgP1011501.jpgP1011502.jpgP1011505.jpgP1011506.jpgP1011508.jpgP1011509.jpgP1011510.jpgP1011511.jpgP1011512.jpgP1011504.jpgP1011507.jpg

The following ID's I have here in Castlemaine.
1964? Heidelberg ID. Body No. 192004786 Series6777 and Colour -2229492 Was registered and lived in Hepburn Springs,Victoria. Came from QLD previous to Vic. Good Driveable car but needs change from Canola back to Brake Fluid.

Reviving another sleeping thread ... IDear, is that 222-9492 correct? 9492 doesn't seem to be a colour code recorded elsewhere and among colours considered here:
http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/93251-question-experts-colours-id19-parisienne.html

If it was 9402, then it may have originally been 'Morrocan Tan', which is a colour noted on a list of Pug/Citroen colours from the period. What colour do you think it was originally?

Last edited:
Those are great little rear ashtrays. I always thought they only came on Australian assembled ID's. Maybe English ones but I can't say I remember them on French ID's. Of course it doesn't mean they were not put on later but did they come with French cars ??

John

Hi David S. Just noticed your post dated 29th March. I'll check that paint colour. I had Lance Collins (on way home after competing with Traction in Targa Tasmania) drop in here at Castlemaine. He lent me a pressure gauge to check the hydraulic pressure on the ID you mention. It's running at between 1600 and 1900 PSI.
I'm having a problem with a loss of pressure and then losing use of brakes. Told me to check out the valve under the "brake button".
I'm rid of most of the canola oil and dying to get it on the road.
On the other subject; you mention the green car in Guildford. Is that the Guildford that is 15 minutes down the road from Castlemaine here in Victoria.
Michael Paas

Yes, Guildford, Victoria, not far from you, as far as I'm aware. The photographer has a number of sets of pictures taken in some country Victorian towns and further afield. Worth a look if you like paddock car pictures. Quite a few from Flynns yard at Cooma.

I wondered if the green car pictured at Guildford was the one listed as "ID (Aust) sedan 193010505. series 12067 Was sitting under trees at Wayne Mein’s place Guildford Victoria. Rustbucket" or maybe another car entirely that could be added to the list???

I hope you can resolve the brake issues. Having brake problems might be a good incentive to go right over the hydraulic system.

Those are great little rear ashtrays. I always thought they only came on Australian assembled ID's. Maybe English ones but I can't say I remember them on French ID's. Of course it doesn't mean they were not put on later but did they come with French cars ??

John

Did I see this car in Bendigo yesterday afternoon (25th April)? I wasn't driving and we were in a hurry to get to an appointment so couldn't stop.
SF

Can I ask, all the experts on the early DS/IDs, would/could you use them everyday? There is a lovely looking ID19 (French Built) on eBay and wanted to hear your thoughts.

Regards, Syd

The answer ...of course... partly being "that back in the day" they were all "daily drives."

However, what sets some apart is whether they can keep up with contemporary traffic.
Some older cars have very slow brakes, and that disqualifies them almost without question..
"No synchro" can be another impediment.

So Citroens generally are fine ... not too slow, stop quickly ...steer well (esp. power steer models)

The lack of creature comforts like air con can be a consideration.
And, of course, if the car has had a reasonable mechanical overhaul (or good original condition, etc).

Generally, the later the D the more attuned to everyday traffic, but I wouldn't be that shy about an older one if it was running well.

Hi Syd,

I don't think I would recommend it in Melbourne traffic for things like commuting or inner suburb driving where on most days you have to contend with heavy traffic, impatient drivers and such. Maybe OK if you are retired and hence can avoid the worst traffic times. On that early french id, the brakes are pre-hydraulic assistance, the indicators are manual and time out after about 4 flashes, the steering is very heavy at slow speeds and if you are unlucky they will have a tendency to boil or at least fry you in the cabin. Later twin headlight ones are a more realistic option (post 68 DSpecial, DSuper or DS). I have a 62 ID - with hydraulic assisted brakes - and a 74 GS - and the ID drives like a vintage car in comparison to the GS or any recent car. I may have thought of having it available as a daily driver when I bought it, but having got it up and running now, I wouldn't.

Regards
leconte

Hi Leconte.

Thank you for your advice. I just wanted to hear from someone who has experience with them. I was thinking a post-68 model myself, but (and I think I would prefer power assisted brakes and steering). There was one beautiful ID19 on the Shannons video about DS/ID. A red ID19 owned by DeSilva. French built, ex Bob King. Great looking car and it made me wonder.

Hi Syd,

I don't think I would recommend it in Melbourne traffic for things like commuting or inner suburb driving where on most days you have to contend with heavy traffic, impatient drivers and such. Maybe OK if you are retired and hence can avoid the worst traffic times. On that early french id, the brakes are pre-hydraulic assistance, the indicators are manual and time out after about 4 flashes, the steering is very heavy at slow speeds and if you are unlucky they will have a tendency to boil or at least fry you in the cabin. Later twin headlight ones are a more realistic option (post 68 DSpecial, DSuper or DS). I have a 62 ID - with hydraulic assisted brakes - and a 74 GS - and the ID drives like a vintage car in comparison to the GS or any recent car. I may have thought of having it available as a daily driver when I bought it, but having got it up and running now, I wouldn't.

Regards
leconte

Living in Castlemaine, surrounded by open plains to the North and the West, the Early ID is a wonderful car to drive. The early braking system is adequate and the non-power steering is perfect. The "longlegged" gearbox, as long as the correct tyres are fitted, makes for high speed cruising. The soft suspension is pure and as designed, in the early 50's.
With the driver's window down, the glow of the sun coming through the transluscent roof and the sound of the unrefined engine, I'm driving as though I've turned the clock back 55years.
To me, the pleasure of driving an early ID is what Citroen is all about.
Having had a D Special again not so long ago for a short time, I absolutely loved it in city traffic. Responsive with acceleration and braking and quick to change lanes, the D Special is great fun.
Out on the open road; I kept wanting a "top" gear". No fun at all. Yes, it has the "looks" and as a city car it's great but I wasn't sorry to see it go.
To me, the D Special is "common". They will always be available and look beautiful but the early French ID is the one that's SPECIAL
Michael Paas

Currently, I only drive during off-peak traffic occasions and try and avoid traffic as much as possible. Sometimes, traffic in the inner CBD is unavoidable at any time of day, but the intention would be able to take the ID/DS around Victoria and occasionally through Melbourne to Geelong. I love the drive to the Mornington Penninsula as well as the drive to Castlemaine. I would love to have a DS/ID that can be used everyday, with the intention to keep it for a very long time.

Regards,
Syd

The longstroke ID 19 will keep up with Brisbane traffic just fine as most drivers in my experience are slow to react from red to green at the lights, leave family-sized car gaps while waiting at said lights and cruise 5-10km/h under the speed limit.

I'm not sure what Melbourne CBD traffic is any similar to what I've explained in my context but if it is, then you shouldn't have a problem.

There's no need to knock it into 4th as you can comfortably cruise around 50-60km/h zones in 3rd.

This is coming from someone who ( in recent years) used to drive 40-50km round trips from the city during peak hours in a '62 ID.

Of course, the ID is most enjoyable on the open road much like my SM.

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs