Longstroke ds/id census

Thank you my liege! I shall carry it with honour until usurped. When you say that these are the only 2 known of this configuration, what are the defining characteristics?

It looks lovely Richard. Very very nice. Definitely late Heidelberg production and looks like the same specs as mine. Funny thing, your "air sock" under the bonnet is green-blue to suit your upholstery (?) while mine is red which matches my upholstery! I wonder if they really did that or is it just coincidence.

Your engine number 193018760 is "later" (higher) than mine, which is 193018733. I pass you the baton of "last produced Heidelberg ID" (surviving).

Thanks for posting photos,
Leconte

Richard I did a lot of panel work on that car! I am so glad to see that it is good hands. I was never satisfied with the paint however I used a new spray gun and it was constantly running short on air pressure. The paint came out with a little texture in it rather than smooth and glassy off the gun! I hope that one day you will give it the coat of paint it deserves. I was always in love with that car and I honestly thought that Bob would not sell it!
If you ever decide that it needs a new home please give me a call!!!!!! ( only joking --it would cause instant divorce to add another to the stable!)

Thank you my liege! I shall carry it with honour until usurped. When you say that these are the only 2 known of this configuration, what are the defining characteristics?

Hi Richard, mainly the new dashboard with a black covered steering wheel instead of the former white. The engine was a slightly upgraded (5 more bhp) hand-me-down from the (more powerful) DS and a few other minor changes. This was the French "1965" model year configuration of the ID, which in France means it was produced from August 1964. Your car and mine are known as 1966 models, which may well have been the year of first registration but in pure Citroen terms they are 1965 models and were likely produced in Heidelberg early in 1965 (in my view) and sat "on the shelf" or maybe semi-finished until they found buyers a bit later.
Almost all the other Heidelberg IDs still around have the earlier dash with the white steering wheel. They are however divided between those with the "first nose" and those with the "second nose", referring to the front styling. Ours has the second nose, easily distinguished by the different centre section of the bumber bar and the by the rubber overriders spearing forward.

The true 1966 model (French production from August 1965) had a further upgraded motor, 5 stud wheels and a number of other changes. We believe none of these ever came out of Heidelberg. There are other posts about all this earlier in the thread.

To see the evolutin of the dashboards and the many minor variations in the ID, you can't do better than the "nuancier DS" (nuances of the DS) website. It is natively french but you can set the language to English on the front page. Dashboard pages:
les tableaux de bord des ID

Cheers Leconte

A pleasure to to meet you Gerry. Yep. The blue paint is dodgy close up and I will get it done again one day. The roof is beautiful. It was in Bob's shed when I looked at the D Special. I sat in it and was a bit taken. On the way back to his place I asked him what he was going to do with it and he said he'd probably be selling it one day, so I pursued the conversation. I paid top dollar I think!
I've had many D Citroens, as most of us have, but not in the tropics, and I've come to realise that red fluid cars are best in low humidity climates. I think that I'm going to have to go to a green fluid car one day, for the sake of the 66. It will live longer and more happily down south.
Mechanically it's very good. It has some wear in the steering ball joints but I've sourced some NOS steering arms from England and will bung them in one day. The inner drive boots are fairly perished and, from speaking with John Walton some time ago, I may be better to make leather replacements, rather than try and stretch new ones over the drives.
Inside, it's a pure joy to sit in a car with a completely original and almost perfect interior. Such a lovely place to be.
I have no knowledge of its provenance prior to Bob. I vaguely recall asking him but don't recall gleaning anything.
I understand your marital limiting factors re car numbers! I'm only allowed one Citroen at a time these days. There was a time when 4 or 5 was ok. What's that about?

Cheers, Richard.

Richard I did a lot of panel work on that car! I am so glad to see that it is good hands. I was never satisfied with the paint however I used a new spray gun and it was constantly running short on air pressure. The paint came out with a little texture in it rather than smooth and glassy off the gun! I hope that one day you will give it the coat of paint it deserves. I was always in love with that car and I honestly thought that Bob would not sell it!
If you ever decide that it needs a new home please give me a call!!!!!! ( only joking --it would cause instant divorce to add another to the stable!)

[h=3]What about this one?

1962 Citroen ID19
(posted 02/14)
ID%201962.jpg
[/h]Good original Heidelberg car, genuine 2 owner, known history. Everyday drive until 2002. Always garaged. Lido Blue/Off White ('90s respray). Reliable, runs well. Suspension good. Reg. to Nov. '14. No RWC. Little to do. Needs headlining. On 15" Michelin XZX. Includes 165 x 400 rims & Michelin X tyres. Stainless steel exhaust system. For Sale with personal plates 'ID1962'. Includes all Citroen memorabilia, ie, videos, books, few spares, etc. Regretful sale - moving - no space. $9700. John. Mortlake, Vic. Registration # ID 1962 Vin No: 19621558. Contact jgrattonwilson@yahoo.com.au 03 5599 2499

all it's glory, and seems like a good buy to me...... if I was looking for one.
Except for the discreetly hidden hubcaps.

Thanks Leconte. Yep. I'm familiar with the le nuancier site, but I know little about the Heidelberg cars.
Most of my cars in the past have been post 67 and I was never a big fan of the first nose. I do love the second one though.
I was absolutely stoked to find the driving lights. I found a guy in Belgium on line who specialized in old European car driving lights and he had a set. In about 1980 I had a 64 with the same Marchals, whilst living in Toowoomba. They must have been an option, as it was just an ID19. I came out one morning and they were gone! I bet they're shining down a road somewhere, maybe on a 911.

Hi Richard, mainly the new dashboard with a black covered steering wheel instead of the former white. The engine was a slightly upgraded (5 more bhp) hand-me-down from the (more powerful) DS and a few other minor changes. This was the French "1965" model year configuration of the ID, which in France means it was produced from August 1964. Your car and mine are known as 1966 models, which may well have been the year of first registration but in pure Citroen terms they are 1965 models and were likely produced in Heidelberg early in 1965 (in my view) and sat "on the shelf" or maybe semi-finished until they found buyers a bit later.
Almost all the other Heidelberg IDs still around have the earlier dash with the white steering wheel. They are however divided between those with the "first nose" and those with the "second nose", referring to the front styling. Ours has the second nose, easily distinguished by the different centre section of the bumber bar and the by the rubber overriders spearing forward.

The true 1966 model (French production from August 1965) had a further upgraded motor, 5 stud wheels and a number of other changes. We believe none of these ever came out of Heidelberg. There are other posts about all this earlier in the thread.

To see the evolutin of the dashboards and the many minor variations in the ID, you can't do better than the "nuancier DS" (nuances of the DS) website. It is natively french but you can set the language to English on the front page. Dashboard pages:
les tableaux de bord des ID

Cheers Leconte

It was a one owner car prior to Bob buying it! He had known of the car for a long time. It was doing only minor travelling under its previous elderly owners!
We painted the panels separately on the back veranda of Bobs home.

Last edited:
New acquisition 1962 ID19 "Axel"

Hi all,
I couldn't resist the blue 1962 ID19 pictured above in mberry's thread so took the plunge and bought it. It means I have a genuinely good and sound runner to enjoy while on the longer journey of restoration with my 1965 car. Picked it up last Friday, drove home 260km from Mortlake in Western Victoria. Was delighted to meet the man (the son of the original owner) who drove the car home from the Commonwealth Motors showroom in A'Beckett street in 1962! He is now in his 70's but full of beans. The owner I bought it off was also a lovely guy and he and his wife twisted our arms to stay for lunch and chat about the car before we headed back to Melbourne. Some real country & citronaut hospitality there.

For the longstroke register: engine number 19621558, series number 6351, colour 222 4319 "lido blue". It was delivered in July 1962, the original driver recalls.

I believe the car has done around 250,000 miles but that shows how tough they can be. All country driving miles judging by talking to these two gentlemen. The car is named "Axel" in honour of the original owner, Axel Madsen.

A couple of photos:

image.jpg All three owners represented, L-R John who drove the car home when new, John who bought the car in 1997 and had it restored by Mel Carey (then in Bairnsdale) and myself.

image.jpgOn the way home. 60 MPH indicated is about 93 kph (15 inch tyres instead of 400mm, to be recitified in due course). Running and willing but a bit "off", needs tuning, probably fuel and timing. Mileage believed to be 253,035 (indicated) on purchase, would be somewhat over-stated since last 100,000 or so on 15 inch rims and tyres and speedo check indicated it is reading about 6% over.

image.jpgOriginal dealer's sticker (metal of some type) still on rear window! Would like to preserve this for posterity by having it reproduced (.....moderator help? ;) )

image.jpg Safe home, thanks to my co-driver and namesake MrTrnr

Cheers leconte

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 476
Good work!

John Madsen is a lovely bloke. Best John Deere mechanic in south west Victoria, despite not being associated with any dealership. Semi-retired now, but still works on mine. What might take me hours of figuring out and messing about he does in minutes. It's not worth my while working on it unless the job is simple. Old school: one of the few people I still have to pay by cheque. He told me about that car years ago but by then I was focused on other Dees.

Roger

Cheers leconte

Nice, it's good to put some faces to names ( that I'll forget in 5seconds... Oh well :clown: ). What's your old white 'D, it looks like a 1st nose with bent bonnet prop and no radiator chute, but doesn't seem to have the little lights ontop of the front guards.

seeya,
Shane L.

Nice, it's good to put some faces to names ( that I'll forget in 5seconds... Oh well :clown: ). What's your old white 'D, it looks like a 1st nose with bent bonnet prop and no radiator chute, but doesn't seem to have the little lights ontop of the front guards.

seeya,
Shane L.

Hi Shane, the other car is a '65 Heidelberg car, second nose second dash harmonic balancer motor. Slow progress on it, wanted to get a photo of the two of them together although the "new" 1962 car has now relocated to a very rustic shed that I rent near home. The family car must have a home under cover as well (just ask MrsLeconte about that!).

cheers Leconte

Good work!

John Madsen is a lovely bloke. Best John Deere mechanic in south west Victoria, despite not being associated with any dealership. Semi-retired now, but still works on mine. What might take me hours of figuring out and messing about he does in minutes. It's not worth my while working on it unless the job is simple. Old school: one of the few people I still have to pay by cheque. He told me about that car years ago but by then I was focused on other Dees.

Roger

Thanks Roger. I think the second John told me that John Madsen's father was also a mechanic. From my brief meeting with him I concur, he is a lovely bloke and still cares about the ID (as does the second owner). Funnily enough, he said he would NEVER own a diesel car in spite of being a diesel mechanic! I found that interesting and a bit amusing.

regards, leconte

image.jpg
also at the same all french day apart from DS19 data plate/interior

View attachment 44695View attachment 44696

According to the Vicroads registration entry, this grey ID19 registered IFA-234 (victorian)is a 1963 car with engine number 192000988. The registration is now cancelled, hopefully the car is on club plates now. If anyone knows the car, can we get an update on its status/ownership and if possible a picture of the C&G/Buckle plate from the bulkhead?

cheers leconte

Edit: note to Doublechevron - Shane this one must be a close relation to one of yours, the one listed as 1963 with engine number 192000943, series 6655.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:
I have been looking over this thread again and saw the pics of Leconte's new acquisition ( Axel ). Pics like that are always good fun so I thought I'd throw this one in of Michael's ID in company with the my Big6.
It seems a long time ago since I started the long stroke census and was glad that Donat took it over. There were so many D's being wrecked that it was very frustrating but luckily, since then, there is all this new blood that is giving things a shake up.
Michael, my twin brother seems to be flying the flag for both of us. We both have been carting Citroen "junk" from Gympie to Castlemaine which at times has been very exhausting including the 2nd last trip of Michael's when his Landrover with a heavy load of Citroen (again, junk) left the road after a blowout and turned over. My '78 Citroen C35 did the 1000 odd miles to the rescue and we managed to patch the landrover up and transfer the load from the written off trailer.
So yes, all of us on this site do our little bit to keep these wonderful cars alive and so I thought I would just congratulate everyone for doing such a good job.
The Marong car display is on again near Bendigo last Sunday in August. Michael and I will be there - - -what cars we will be in I don't know yet but the day is always good fun.
The early ID's are wonderful and I'm glad Michael has his two so - - I get to have a drive.

All the best, John Paas.
http://www.authenticlightingandhardware.com/citroen.html

1 id + big 6.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all,

Shannons have sponsored a story on their website covering some of the history of the Heidelberg ID19, authored by motoring journalist Joe Kenwright.

CCOCA in Victoria helped to coordinate this story, and put Joe in touch with yours truly, so some photos of my 1962 Heidelberg ID "Axel" are used (among others) to illustrate the text. Aussiefrogs itself gets several mentions through the article as well. It is a very good read (of course I am biased) including a fair bit of technical content and photos from a wide range of sources.

The link to the article is below, but note that you will have to sign up to the Shannons club (no cost except sharing your email address to them) to view the entire article.

1961-67 Citroen ID19: The Aussie Goddess Called Parisienne - Shannons Club

There is also a second article covering some of the racing history of the Citroen ID& DS in Australia, covering the period from 1962 to the 1968 London-Sydney marathon (plus one shot from the 1974 Marathon event), with several photos that I haven't seen before. Similarly, I think you need a Shannons club account to see all the article.

Citroen DS/ID: From Mount Panorama to The Marathon - Shannons Club

Regards, Leconte

Another fine ID19 not on the register

Hi all,
Browsing the Shannons Club member entries, and I see a beautiful grey 1962 Heidelberg ID19. The owner (since 2003) bought it from the original owner (Eddie Perkins), who purchased from Commonwealth Motors on 7 February 1962. The car has the side lights on the B pillars (mine does not) and the owner helpfully puts a photo of the Continental and General body plate on the sites, from which we have:

Body number / Engine number 19120002
Series 6136
Colour 222 4322

There is what looks like a recent photo of the car under restoration and it looks fabulous. The body plate itself is a work of art and looks factory fresh.

image.jpg

Cheers leconte

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 438
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 421
...and another from Shannons Club

Hi again,

There is a second Heidelberg car on the Shannons Club site. This time a very nice red one from Tasmania (Burnie according to the text).

This entry on Shannons Club is headed 1965 Citroen DS but the text says it is a Heidelberg car and it sure looks like one to me. It is stated to be original apart from the paint job, and to me it looks like a much earlier car as I am sure I can see the side lights on the B-pillar which indicates an early (before mid 1962 or so) car. It also has the wheels with the three fittings for the hubcaps, which disappeared in France in February 1963. So it should have the early hubcaps without the spring fitting and no raised boss in the centre (which on the later ones hold the spring steel piece that secures the hubcap to the wheels).

So i'd be betting on a 1961 / early 1962 Heidelberg car with a series number less than 6300 or so.

If anyone knows the car, could they post or send in more details and especially details from the body plate?

The only photo on the Shannons site:

image.jpg

cheers leconte