Little Silver 205GTI

Vinegar takes off CAD plating? Need to know if this is true, i have a need for about 1m of it gone.

Vinegar takes off CAD plating? Need to know if this is true, i have a need for about 1m of it gone.

Ha, I've never used it to strip coatings but go for it, there's probably oodles on googles about it... maybe some other more aggressive potions out there?!?

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

Got the right wheel, very nice and ready to go on, I'm definitely happy with that.
473aa859bbca18eff26af7c4489fe80e.jpg

Update, while stripping down and cleaning induction parts, replacing the split air ducts and found that the AFM inlet flange is stuffed, someone has glued it and packed it with a supporting ring. The old repairs are cracked so not far off coming away and venturing into the engine.
So two cars now and same issue this must be common, over zealous work on the hose clamps! lucky I've got one to replace it.

Last edited:
My guess is that people try to tighten the hose clamps down as the rubber falls apart and the plastic starts squashing and eventually cracks. Found the same problem on mine but fixed it with a very thin ring of steel placed inside the plastic. I think by now these plastics are old and start breaking down anyway losing their elasticity so even a good one might end up the same in a short time. Keep an eye out for a suitable aluminium flange for DIY turbo mods available in most parts shops.

I agree over tightening and no idea what's breaking inside as you can't see it and maybe the plastic was old or just heavy hands.
Alloy turbo flange sounds interesting, I'd knock one up, but my time is lean with work and we have two toddlers so I'm going for mainly bolt on repairs at the moment.

Last edited:
Investigated the heavy bonnet today. Does anyone else have insulation under their bonnet heat/sound shield? I've checked two other GTIs that only have the grey insulating panel.
60fe837927ba0bfcb44883f707427409_thumb.jpg

Yup, mine's the shield only. Looks like the previous owner got his bunnings and repco shopping lists mixed up- that's loft insulation there...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks guys I was figuring it was just crap but always good to check. That explains why the bonnet is so heavy, I've got a replacement shield so I'll pull the old clean out the rubbish and fit up. Just need to buy some matching rivets!?

So it looks like I'll be looking to buy 15 x 6995 56 Bonnet Sound Proofing Clips
Does any one have any of these spare before I buy some in?
If not does anyone else want some? they will be very cheap.
6995 56 Bonnet Soud Proofing Clip.jpg

Hey mate, I'm yet to source the sound proofing (assuming my S3 originally had it), but I'm happy to grab some of the clips if you're ordering. I'll likely need the full amount also. Happy to transfer you the cash now. I'm in no rush for the clips though.

Thanks
Ben

Well local suppliers will be cheaper, quicker, easier for both of you!

Most likely, however being time poor I'll still buy them online, I'll try some scrivets, there's a Ford part (and I'm sure many others) that's the correct size.