Little Silver 205GTI

Next time you have the camera out could you snap a shot of the door hinges where they mount on the body please. .

Here you go! Silver and White both S1 205GTI
19af6d4dacae67a6df4b1dbfb5371bd2.jpg
953e2f0f9e1cf9302e202c11280e7ca4.jpg
b03f5b8a469a3e3f23cee04143bf5be8.jpg
6477b79a2ed6867258ac788c5e81c147.jpg
1d2dc5521cfc3935b443273dd6ac3f36.jpg
d68a6de0e8a5b53a33ccc93fbed76e1c.jpg
8d0610cfe4086c652f2f153f54559562.jpg

Awesome mines the same. What was the thinking of putting body filler over the welds to crack like that I wonder? I hit it with the dremel to tidy up the surface and most of it's off now.

Awesome mines the same. What was the thinking of putting body filler over the welds to crack like that I wonder? I hit it with the dremel to tidy up the surface and most of it's off now.

All I can imagine is to rust protect the weld area

Officially "Little Silver 205GTI" has locked me out!

The central locking is arguing with the door lock and at times doing an up/down dance.
Does anyone have any advice how I might be able to get in?

The central locking is arguing with the door lock and at times doing an up/down dance.

I've removed my door key-locks and my rear hatch is my fail-safe. You should be able to unlock it without affecting the central.

You need to be nicer to her, otherwise it will lock you out more often and ultimately you will sleep in the garage.

Smash a window to show her who's boss, I say.

I like to think it's her way of showing me what needs fixing [emoji848]

I didn't think that the passenger doors normally had a 'master' switch for the central locking, just a slave - ie, you should be able to turn the key on the passenger side without triggering a central locking fight? If not, can you not unlock the hatch and get in that way? Not very dignified, but do it when no-one is looking.....

I didn't think that the passenger doors normally had a 'master' switch for the central locking, just a slave - ie, you should be able to turn the key on the passenger side without triggering a central locking fight? If not, can you not unlock the hatch and get in that way? Not very dignified, but do it when no-one is looking.....

Thanks Richard,
I think it's a bit more sinister, the tail gate lock would only turn to the lock direction and the doors are both only allowing the lock to turn half way open and if I try the drivers door it has a hissy fit.
I just fiddled a bit with the tailgate and managed to open it. Reached in and same thing with the internal door latches they just go up half way.
Maybe one is jammed causing the issue????

Well I managed to get in so all good for now, but she's definitely giving me a message that the door mechanisms need some TLC.

Same goes for this highly accurate dipstick!
70531b4086bd16f7e3325c405a561fd5.jpg

Have a look at the rubber mounts for the door lock motor. The ones on my si are worn out, which lets everything flex just enough to stop the lock opening...

And go to the wreckers and get another dipstick!!

Yep, you really need a sealing dispstick for the EFI to run properly so if you get a 2nd handy, by sure it seals properly.

Have a look at the rubber mounts for the door lock motor. The ones on my si are worn out, which lets everything flex just enough to stop the lock opening...

And go to the wreckers and get another dipstick!!

Thanks Richard,
I think it's a bit more sinister, the tail gate lock would only turn to the lock direction and the doors are both only allowing the lock to turn half way open and if I try the drivers door it has a hissy fit.
I just fiddled a bit with the tailgate and managed to open it. Reached in and same thing with the internal door latches they just go up half way.
Maybe one is jammed causing the issue????

Knowing these bartstards, I would suggest you check the wiring of the locking system. I wouldn't be surprised if something was amiss trying to keep locks in the lock state. Say a wire shorted or some such. Unplug motors one by one and see if the rest work or just unplug all from the car and connect an independent power supply to the motors directly and see what happens.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advise, I'll have a good look at the door lock solenoids and keep those things in mind.

And I've ordered two new dipsticks... Two GTIs two stuffed dipsticks....

I just replaced the torn up grommets on my passenger door lock actuator with some healthier looking spares and it seems to be working properly for the first time ever!

However, the true test will be when it has to let my wife in...

Cleaned up and straightened the fuel filter bracket I sourced all ready to go just need my banjo fittings now
108d22ccaa0b676dd073ccc3d8c6bc1f.jpg

You can have my old top one, no bolt mind you, going to 8mm, onto evilbay you go, 14mm banjo bolt!

You can have my old top one, no bolt mind you, going to 8mm, onto evilbay you go, 14mm banjo bolt!

Hey thanks Matt, I've got some on the way so I'll pass but thanks very much for the generous offer.
M12 for the top and M14 for the bottom of the filter

no problem, enjoy! How did you get that bracket so clean? Mine of course was nicked and I sourced a replacement.

no problem, enjoy! How did you get that bracket so clean? Mine of course was nicked and I sourced a replacement.

I used a vinegar solution, a bit old school you just need to be careful as it can take off the plating and you also need to neutralise it. I just go with a weaker solution and more time so I don't go too far.