Koleos Hints, Tips, Problems

Ended up buying it. The quality doesn’t appear to be all that good (door rubbers, paint on tailgate and roof rails, seat foam etc) but time will tell. Hopefully it’s a reliable thing that’s predominantly used for family get-always.
Next will be adding a tow bar and roof racks to cart the kids’ paraphernalia.
Economy better than expected on a tank, but ideal conditions and potentially a tail-wind (average 80km/h, 8.0l/100 at bowser over 450k (dash said 7.5)). Manual 2.5.

Has a minor rattle for first second on start-up; that normal?

Hello, I’m new here. I have a 2009 Koleos Diesel manual 4x4. Has anyone figured a way to make the Sun visors work properly?
Unless your car was previously owned by a dwarf there should be nothing wrong with the sunvisors. The "mechanism" is exactly the same as every other car ever made, the vertical position and swivelling of the visor relying on simple friction to stay put. When owned by the vertically challenged and operated every five minutes to keep daylight out of their eyes the friction part of the "mechanism" can be overworked to the point it never recovers. The solution is to buy a second hand sunvisor complete from a vehicle previously owned by someone without ducks disease.

Unless your car was previously owned by a dwarf there should be nothing wrong with the sunvisors. The "mechanism" is exactly the same as every other car ever made, the vertical position and swivelling of the visor relying on simple friction to stay put. When owned by the vertically challenged and operated every five minutes to keep daylight out of their eyes the friction part of the "mechanism" can be overworked to the point it never recovers. The solution is to buy a second hand sunvisor complete from a vehicle previously owned by someone without ducks disease.
Thanks.
I’m the 2nd owner, the first is 5’8” and I’m 5’11”. The drivers side visor couldn’t rely on friction since before I bought this particular Renault in 2016. It started to fall to the lowest point (gravity overwhelming the said friction “mechanism”). The passenger side started failing a few years ago too. I’ve used an ugly but adaptable Velcro* solution after all other hacks failed so far.
Your Elegant solution of second hand visors that have plenty of magic friction has never occurred to me due to what I see as the worst execution of the friction design. Well, compared to every other car I’ve owned or driven.
Where would one try to acquire SAFE mechanisms?
*Velcro - conjure images of NASA use.

Thanks.
I’m the 2nd owner, the first is 5’8” and I’m 5’11”. The drivers side visor couldn’t rely on friction since before I bought this particular Renault in 2016. It started to fall to the lowest point (gravity overwhelming the said friction “mechanism”). The passenger side started failing a few years ago too. I’ve used an ugly but adaptable Velcro* solution after all other hacks failed so far.
Your Elegant solution of second hand visors that have plenty of magic friction has never occurred to me due to what I see as the worst execution of the friction design. Well, compared to every other car I’ve owned or driven.
Where would one try to acquire SAFE mechanisms?
*Velcro - conjure images of NASA use.
I'm 6'3" and rarely have to use the sunvisor except when riding off into the setting sun which I regularly avoid. My driver's sunvisor stays exactly in position even with a reasonably heavy bluetooth repeater hanging off it for most of it's now 14 year life. Velcro is artificial gravity and was invented so to be, I have not come across any other form in either spray cans or flat packed. Dave Cavanagh, an Aussiefrogs regular, might be able to sell you a tested and approved anti-gravity 2009 Koleos sunvisor

I’d be getting some adhesive and two magnets.

Hi gang, can't find the info but I am sure someone has found what diagnostic tool works with Koleos series 1 (2010 car/diesel/auto). Can someone please point it to me?

Also, I know there is a procedure to read the code somehow, just don't know what it is. Any pointers, please?

Hi gang, can't find the info but I am sure someone has found what diagnostic tool works with Koleos series 1 (2010 car/diesel/auto). Can someone please point it to me?

Also, I know there is a procedure to read the code somehow, just don't know what it is. Any pointers, please?
Could you elucidate as to the problem you are facing?

No problem (maybe? hopefully?), just a check engine light on all the time. Just came back home, so no idea what happened (wife drove it). Otherwise, car all normal. Needs a service though.

True.

I am under some pressure for time so have to leave it to the mechanics and they are crazy busy. I was hoping there was something I could do myself hence my question about diagnostic tools.

I also expect if some sensor or something is faulty it will be unavailable in Oz and I would have to wait for it to come from overseas so more delay. If I could diagnose the car myself I would at least shorten the wait by the time needed to get the car diagnosed by a mechanic.

Hi Schlitz, this is the link to info I posted a while ago:

For info I have just checked to see if it includes Koleos and in doing so it upgraded to the latest version for all vehicles, including Renault product. Yes, it has specific diagnostics for Koleos QM5 and QM6 (I think yours is QM5, 1st generation?). I love free upgrades!

Although everyone has differing opinions, I consider this to be a midway semi-professional tool, which covers almost every vehicle on the market, and is able to read OBD2 codes, read diagnostic info such as eng temp, and assist with service interval resets, etc. A similar tool is available with only Renault (or is it only French, eg, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot? - check with supplier) at a reduced price, I have chosen the all-makes version. You can buy better, more comprehensive units and you can buy more basic units.
I also have an older very basic OBD2 code reader only, which may be all you require in this instance. Being a Korean built, Nissan based, 21st Century vehicle, it should have standard generic OBD code reading connector and system, although it may have particular special codes unique to Renault, as is permissible under the standards.

Anyway, I invite you to come over to my place (in Parkwood) and we can plug in these tools and see if we can read the codes. At this stage I can only do tomorrow (Sat 19/11 - any time between 2pm and 5pm) or else later on next week sometime. I will be doing another job for a family member but can spare the time to plug in and show you how it works, read the codes if they are there, but not spend time trying to repair it. PM me to get my details if you can come over, or at least to make contact for another time.

Cheers
Chris.

Hi All,
I'm not sure if this has been covered, however, I have a 2012 Diesel Koleos and compared to my Volvo diesel, it seems sluggish.
Has anyone had any success in remapping or improving the performance of the diesel Koleos?
Thanks

My 2008 Koleos diesel has always had some turbo lag but picks up rapidly once on the move. What Volvo diesel are you comparing it with?

Thanks for the reply.

It don't think it is turbo lag - I put the foot down and there is a delay before it even starts moving. Turbo lag would still enable to car to move, just sluggish until turbo kicks in.

I don't believe the turbo are huge on these engines so I wouldn't expect too much lag.

I'm comparing to a 4 cyl single turbo diesel volvo.

Curious to know if any chipping has made a difference to response - not really after huge HP - just response.

Thanks