Koleos Hints, Tips, Problems

Hi RTT,
Thanks for your reply. With regard to the woofer, it's just that, a woofer. 5 1/4 inches from memory. It doesn't do doof-doof all that well :) I fitted a 10" sub to my Soarer. it was an optional extra and there was a cutout in the parcel shelf, and a spot for the dedicated amp in the floor of the boot. I used a non-standard Philips sub and an aftermarket amp as the stock subs were 2Ohm and hard to find with soft foam.

With regard to the centre display, I'm onto my second and have found that heat really sets it off (or is it light?) because it's fine on a cool day in the garage then starts to flicker once it's outside in the warmth. If the car has been in the sun for any length of time the display is unreadable. It's often fine all day in cool, cloudy Tasmanian winters but frequently on the fritz through summer.

I've found a similar display for only 13 Euros, genuine Johnson, but I have to pull mine out to check the model number. I suspect it's different because it doesn't have the adjusting buttons for time that mine has.
Cheers,
Mike

The Koleos comes with different size rims depending on the trim, 17" for the Life, 18"for the Zen, and 19" for the Intens, so they probably standardised the spare to one size only and the 17" is probably the cheapest. As long as the rolling diameter is the same, the 17" will be okay. The larger rims have tyres with lower profiles to keep the diameter the same.

I've checked my spare and it's a 17" steel rim (I'm running 19" alloys),
The 19" are 215 aspect ratio, the 17" are 225 aspect ratio. The circumferences are about 15mm different (less than 1%).
Near enough for use in an emergency.
Hello RTT
As you all may have guessed, I am not an expert on things mechanical, and your comments are really helpful and confirmed what I suspected. I think I'll get a couple of steel rims. I recall an earlier post where a specific brand of tyre was recommended.
Thanks again for taking the time and your advice.

Hello Aegis, I've got a towbar on my Koleos and the foot sensor boot release still works.
The towbar does block the sensor somewhat and sometimes it is intermittent but it does work eventually (although you look like a goose kicking your towbar).
The worst that can happen is the foot sensor won't work and that's no big deal.

Cheers RTT
Hi RTT
That is really good to know. Oddly, this morning I sent out and did wave my foot under the snsor and the thing worked. First time in 12 months if trying. and i regularly look like a goose.....
Thanks again.

There is one advantage of using steel wheels and that is as follows: If you hit something really hard with a rim made of alloy, it can fracture and render the wheel useless with a big chunk out of it, a steel rim, on the other hand can be badly bent but bashed back into shape with a mash hammer, if you're quick enough, sometimes without losing all of your air pressure! Something I discovered in 15 years of rallying!
Hi kim,
Excellent advice and based on experience! Thanks heaps. I mentioned in another post, I'll get some steel rims....

Hi RTT
That is really good to know. Oddly, this morning I sent out and did wave my foot under the snsor and the thing worked. First time in 12 months if trying. and i regularly look like a goose.....
Thanks again.
The foot sensor doesn't work if you move your foot from side to side, it has to be front to back.

The foot sensor doesn't work if you move your foot from side to side, it has to be front to back.
I did not know that. Must be a Northern hemisphere thing....:sneaky: I'll try that and see if it works. It may be also that the Koli needs a damn good wash....

maybe there is a dry joint on the pc board that is being effected by expansion and contraction of the board due to heat ,?ps sounds like some has had a damaged rim and its been swapped out at the dealer, till a new one was found ,car was sold before replacement arrived ,

Helical, with unusual spindle as well, mechanic asked a fitter & turner regarding making a replacement, they said too much trouble. I was considering having a 3d printer have a go at it, but the mechanic had tried to "glue" it and in the process totally destroyed the original
Hi Chez again.

The fitter is somewhat right.

You need to find the gear module, you need to buy a cutter (usually come in a set of 8) and you need to buy material, set it up on the machine, turn the stock to diameter, bore for spindle, take it to the milling machine, set it up and cut the gear, take it back to the lathe and part it off. You can also cut it in the first set up on the lathe and then use a mandrel to put it on the rotary table on the milling machine but it's just a matter of taste.

All of that can take up to a couple of hours. A good machinist with the right gear could probably do it in less than an hour.

That does not include the price of the cutter and the risk the machinist would get the wrong cutter. Which can happen if you order from China. If you order here (or any of the serious machine supplies) it will cost you at least 200$ for the one cutter itself and if it's not available locally you can wait for weeks to arrive. If you have to buy the full set, you might as well get a new Koleos. China means less than 100 bucks for the set of eight and who knows? two weeks? With the risk the cutter is going to be the wrong one. Or the set is going to be missing the cutter you need but will have a duplicate of another cutter you don't need. Not a high risk, but not inexistent. Buyer beware.

How much would you pay?

I am not under any pressure so I took the chance some time ago and got a set of .6 module gear cutters off ebay and they turned out fine. I now cut my own gears in that pitch and they come out superbly.

Given that I have a Koleos and face the same problem for the future I wouldn't mind getting the cutters and having a go. If you still have one bit of the old gear with intact teeth and you know the number of teeth and the diameter of the gear, that is all you need to work out the module, find the right cutter and cut the damn thing. I will probably do it when I get there if nobody finds a gear that is a straight fit from some other source. I understand McMaster Carr in the US has just about any gear you can come up with. Here, I think there's a similar shop online, smallparts I think it is called. But you still need to know the module and number of teeth and the helix angle.

https://www.smallparts.com.au/store/categories/hobby+gears+categories/

I would hazard a guess it is very unlikely the gear isn't used in something totally unrelated these days with so many things with gears in them. To give but an example I found that a small servo gear used in one of my servos was identical with a gear used in the CD lift/changing mechanism of stereos in Toyotas of the nineties/early 2000s ( branded Toyota but I think made by Fujitsu ten and Panasonic and possibly others). A 2 dollar part (literally) available off the shelf in my local hobby store.

Does anyone here know how to remove the back seat base on the HZG Koleos?
I don't want to start pulling on the base and possibly break some clips or parts made of unobtanium.
My H45 Koleos was dead-easy as they swung up when the seat was folded but the HZG back seat base is fixed.
(Got a workshop manual for the H45 but not the HZG).

I need to fit some seat covers in the back.
Queensland summer sun + black leather = burnt arse and legs, even with the maximum legal tint.
The front seats have the bum coolers but nothing in the back.

Or maybe I should use a crochet patchwork quilt I can throw over the back seat. Now I'm officially old I'm allowed a crochet quilt in cars I own.

Cheers
RTT

Does anyone here know how to remove the back seat base on the HZG Koleos?
I don't want to start pulling on the base and possibly break some clips or parts made of unobtanium.
My H45 Koleos was dead-easy as they swung up when the seat was folded but the HZG back seat base is fixed.
(Got a workshop manual for the H45 but not the HZG).

I need to fit some seat covers in the back.
Queensland summer sun + black leather = burnt arse and legs, even with the maximum legal tint.
The front seats have the bum coolers but nothing in the back.

Or maybe I should use a crochet patchwork quilt I can throw over the back seat. Now I'm officially old I'm allowed a crochet quilt in cars I own.

Cheers
RTT
I just had a look at mine. Usual thing most cars (unless you see an obvious bolt head) is to pull it up, being held by some sort of spring clip. Same here, the clip is about 250mm from ends of seat base, at the front of the seat. It was pretty hard to pull up with the fingers, but it does pop out, just get a good grip and wrench it up. It's got a plastic clip set into the floorpan, I didn't fully remove the seat, but the clip pulled apart ok. If there is anything more sinister as you progress further, let us know. 😁

Thanks Fordman, I'll give it a go after Santa delivers the seat covers.

Cheers

Hi there
I have a MY2019 Koleos. It has a 12v outlet in the cargo area. Would this be capable of powering a 12v fridge? Also, is the outlet active only when the engine on or does it continue to provide power, and so having a fridge connected could drain the battery? I've resisted playing around too much....because:
The reason I ask is I connected my google pixel to the 12v outlet behind the drive shift via a lighter adaptor to USB, and I noticed that the adaptor was extremely hot. I do not want to bugger up the electrics.
Grateful for advice. I've had a look at the manual but it is not terribly informative, AFAICT.
Thanks for reading and any advice.

Hi there
I have a MY2019 Koleos. It has a 12v outlet in the cargo area. Would this be capable of powering a 12v fridge? Also, is the outlet active only when the engine on or does it continue to provide power, and so having a fridge connected could drain the battery? I've resisted playing around too much....because:
The reason I ask is I connected my google pixel to the 12v outlet behind the drive shift via a lighter adaptor to USB, and I noticed that the adaptor was extremely hot. I do not want to bugger up the electrics.
Grateful for advice. I've had a look at the manual but it is not terribly informative, AFAICT.
Thanks for reading and any advice.
If the Koleos is like the Laguna it will shut that power outlet down when the key is removed. The best way to check is to plug something into that outlet like a phone charger and see if it still has power on it when the key is roved.

I power a small fridge from the boot power outlet in my Laguna without any problems.

Most modern 12v fridges have a function whereby you can set the min voltage below which the fridge no longer draws current.

If you are overly concerned, set the temp for very low when you are driving and bring the thermostat temp back up when you are not.
That way you work the fridge harder when there is excess energy, and let it rest when there is not.

I have an older series Koleos but have had no issue running the fridge from the back power socket.
What else would it be for if not for running a fridge??

Just checked in my 2019 Koleos manual.
Each of the 3 power outlets (dash, rear of console, boot area) can handle 120 watts, which is 10 amps at 12 volts.
Also gives maximum of 180 watts across all 3 outlets, ie, you run the fridge up to 10 amps, plus another 5 amps spread between the other 2, eg, phone charging, TomTom, etc.
It says the ignition to be on to work the cigar lighter, and I think that would apply to all outlets, easily checked.

I have a Dometic 40 litre fridge which ran well in my Ford Territory with the same setup. The fridge came as a package with the insulated cover, which I have concluded is the reason it performs so well. I position the fridge where I can read the digital display through the back window. I have it set to 3degC, and even out in the sun for an hour or two (engine off) it will only go up by a couple of degrees. We used to carry it into the motel room and plug it in overnight, but now we just take out the milk and brekkie stuff and leave fridge in car. It will still be at about 7deg in the morning, and only takes 15 minutes to get back to 3deg.
Before a road trip, I plug in the fridge indoors for at least 24 hours to let it stabilise, preferably with something in it.
I think the fridge draws about 6 amps, and I have been surprised at the cycle time, ie, the green (power on) light comes on less than expected. Again I put this down to the insulated cover. Love my fridge!

Col, jo proffi, Fordman,
Thanks heaps for your replies. I've just checked and yes, the outlets do become inactive when the engine is off.
I'm a little wary of whether inclusions on vehicles are actually intended to be used as one might think, after I saw a friend's experience. I recall a few years ago my friend had, I think, it might have been a Chinese-made vehicle, and tried to attach tie down ropes to some lugs. the lugs came adrift and the not terribly helpful dealer say they were for "cosmetic appearances" and not actually designed to be used.
Fordman - that's good advice about managing the fridge, too. Thanks.
I am looking at a 35l fridge or smaller. I only need to keep a few basic perishables cool and may be some water.
Any advice on brands - what to avoid, in particular. I've seen the Dometic range gets good reviews, as do the Bushman range.
Thanks for reading.

Reactions: COL
Hello everyone,

New user to the Renault Koleos club here. In fact I’m picking up a 2014 Privilege 4x4 Petrol (HS45 Phase 3) tomorrow. The car has done 106K and looks to be in pretty nick. Test drive went fine too.

The service logs seems to be all there, although I haven’t got a chance to check what all things have been done in the last service. Need to check them while I’m picking it up tomorrow. Considering that this could be the 100K service, are there any questions I should be asking the dealer on what all things were changed? For e.g. Spark Plugs, Transmission Fluid etc?

There is an optional extended warranty up to 3 years I can purchase with the car (costs about a grand per year). Is it advisable to take it?

Finally, has someone here done a head unit upgrade to one which has Apple Car Play/Android Auto for this 2014 Model?

I have been slowly reading through all the posts and this community is sure of great help. Thank you very much!

For the Brisbane boys, coming to a wreckers yard near you will be my 2018 S-Edition HZG Koleos.

IMG_0864.png

Had a bit of a mishap and the insurer decided to write it off (although the quotation for the repair was less than market value).
So will now have to find another one once the insurer pays up.

With the current reports of almost non existent new cars and long waiting lists, and sky rocketing 2nd hand car pricing it might be hard to replace that in the short term RTT!

Glad that you survived even if the car got written off.

Ken

Looks like the airbags deployed. About same level of damage as my Territory which got written off last year, air bags took the repair cost right up. A shame to write off a car with not that much damage.
Its a year ago now, but my 2019 Koleos was in a bulk disposal from Hertz, via a Toyota dealer over here. 30k kms and like a new car.
Good luck.