I Spy...Victoria

Spotted this gem in Lorne on New Years eve...

Attachments

• IMG_1211.jpg
    IMG_1211.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_1212.jpg
    IMG_1212.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 376
I spotted a nice silver green 404 with 2 surfboards on top leaving the Ringroad heading for the Surfcoast yesterday .It reminded me of my time as a highway surfer in the 60/s with a board strapped to the roof of the ID19. You would see Mini/s and Beetles with 4 boards on top back then.

No one will believe what I saw today.
It's not French but one of my all time favorite cars. I was so excited I thought I'd have to have a lie down to recover.

First time I'd ever seen one on the road, seen and read about them all my life and seen 1 only in the flesh at a car show many years ago but this one was on the freeway in the outside lane passing everyone.

It was a TATRA, a real live Tatra, not the more common 4 cylinder Tatraplan but the real V8 air cooled Tatra.
I'm still getting over it.
This was the later model about 1960 circa called 603. If I new how to paste a picture of one I'd show you otherwise you'll just have to google tatra 603

First impression was how big it is compared to everything around it, it went the other direction, I wish I could have heard it.

Settle down Dave, you'll chuck a hearty!

Am I alone in visualising you lying back blowing smoke rings in the air from a post-coital durrie? :)

Cheers, Pottsy

PS. Would love to see a big Tatra on the road meself as well.

Show 'n Shine at Hoppers

G'day,

in amongst a swag of other stuff you would not generally expect to see around here were these couple of froggies :approve:

cheers,
Bob

Attachments

• IMG_0978a.jpg
    IMG_0978a.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_0981a.jpg
    IMG_0981a.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_0983a.jpg
    IMG_0983a.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_0984a.jpg
    IMG_0984a.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_0987a.jpg
    IMG_0987a.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 395
  • IMG_0988a.jpg
    IMG_0988a.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 381
G'day Dave,

no, local show 'n shine way out west at Hoppers Crossing. Only went for the first time last year and it's at the end of the street !!

They have some really nice vehicles turn out, even a pre-worked on outfit of FJ & elderly van that looked like they had come straight out of granddad's shed, grot 'n all. Fair bit of the "modern" unusual, Reliant 3 wheeler; there was a GT40 in last year's lineup.

cheers,
Bob

G'day Dave,

no, local show 'n shine way out west at Hoppers Crossing. Only went for the first time last year and it's at the end of the street !!

They have some really nice vehicles turn out, even a pre-worked on outfit of FJ & elderly van that looked like they had come straight out of granddad's shed, grot 'n all. Fair bit of the "modern" unusual, Reliant 3 wheeler; there was a GT40 in last year's lineup.

cheers,
Bob

Of course, should have known that. That 4cv is the one on ebay and in the ad it says can be viewed at Hoppers.

G'day,

It was the other fella, the Lorraine-Dietrich that caught my eye, never heard of it before. Had vendors plate on the dash, local Melbourne sale. I think it was branded "silent six"

And wow, size of those rear drums, like a truck. Eeer, nothing at the front though :)

cheers,
Bob

G'day,

It was the other fella, the Lorraine-Dietrich that caught my eye, never heard of it before. Had vendors plate on the dash, local Melbourne sale. I think it was branded "silent six"

And wow, size of those rear drums, like a truck. Eeer, nothing at the front though :)

cheers,
Bob

When I was in my 20,s my mate and I drove a ute around the mallee looking for interesting cars to salvage and came across several Lorraine- Dietrich stripped down to their chassis on farms, front wheel brake drums were huge too, very interesting, but a bit far gone and unfamiliar for us to recover.

Some farmers had no value at all on bits, others saw or wanted gold ransoms for rusty junk... Don't ask me the location of the farms, i was just the passenger driven around by a local.!!

Ken

Had to run an errand for the GLW after work. Picking up a clarinet from a primary school in Yarraville. After parking the Ford truckster the walk up the street was very interesting to say the least!
First; A Red Peugeot with rego plates YVE-405 on a 407HDi sedan, very nice combo!
Second; Futher up the street another 407 sedan!
and finally for the car perves, a 1966 notchback Mustang in white with a black vinyl roof, wire wheels and on full rego GMC-xxx.
And then an Audi R8 parked up a driveway as I walked back to the chariot!
A pretty fair strike rate for a street in the 'burbs!
:cheers:
Brendan

G'day Brendan,

hope your Furd is a late model, you might get a ticket parking any old bit of local gear in Yarraville, bit fussy over there.

cheers,
Bob

G'day Brendan,

hope your Furd is a late model, you might get a ticket parking any old bit of local gear in Yarraville, bit fussy over there.

cheers,
Bob
G'Day Bob,
I hope it passes muster just with it's Green cred....BF wagon running straight LPG out of the factory. Running up too many km's per week to justify any other fuel. Was very tempted with diesel 407 and C5 wagons but a little too expensive then of course a couple surface after the purchase.:mad:
But you get that!

Brendan

G'Day Bob,
I hope it passes muster just with it's Green cred....BF wagon running straight LPG out of the factory. Running up too many km's per week to justify any other fuel. Was very tempted with diesel 407 and C5 wagons but a little too expensive then of course a couple surface after the purchase.:mad:
But you get that!

Brendan

p.s. Bob have you checked the Pond regarding Concreter's?
Brendan