I got ready and jumped!

Form over function is a problem. Rear visibility is already a problem, but I suppose everyone will be expected to rely upon the reverse camera, obstacle detection and automated reverse parking to avoid running over the cat (or child) or simply needing to be able to reverse park. Lack of a good rear view is a common complaint and older vehicles of the 3-box layout were generally much better in this regard.

Consider this though. The clickbait title is unhelpful, but the story has a ring of truth and common sense about it.

Another darling of European cars decided petrol is evil

1000017794.jpg

That gives them a couple of years to solve the charging problems. They won't.

If the NSW government has its way with turning Sydney into a recreation of Shanghai or Hong Kong, the problem will worsen.

Just 7 years from now all ice are to be obsolete unsaleable just trash though Mazda wants peeps to hold onto trash longer meanwhile apartment residents all left behind with no government support despite it wants all to phase out petrol
IMG_1157.jpeg

Don't kid yourself. Seven years won't see all the problems with EV ownership fixed. Affordability and sufficient second hand service life will keep petrol going a while longer.

Just think - on a whim I can get into my Citroen and go to Brisbane in one all day run, with no planning or stopping required and still have fuel in the tank. My Tesla neighbour can't do that.

Meh, they're estimating 14 million EVs will be made in 2023 worldwide.
With 1.4 billion cars to replace, that's 100 years worth of production at the present EV production rate.
Even if every single automobile production line on the planet started spitting out nothing but EVs tomorrow, it would take until near enough 2040 to make 1.4 billion cars. That's without factoring in making 100s of millions of replacements for EVs written off due to collision, fire, flood, theft etc, etc, during the next 17 years.
Hard to see how it's going to work, unless of course the real plan isn't actually to replace them all anyway?🤔

and it's the all new all singing all dancing Impreza at $35,374 and up with Halogen Daylight Driving Light, again wtf?

Screenshot 2023-10-09 20.35.16.png

The current conflict in the Middle East will only raise petrol prices higher and higher meaning it’s inevitable EV and at least hybrids on CVT (yuck) will become more in demand which is a pretty bad omen for ICE

Meanwhile,

IMG_1209.jpeg
IMG_1210.jpeg
IMG_1211.jpeg

It's only a ban in the city centre, Palo. This sort of thing achieves little, and has become virtue signalling by left wing local governments, such as Stockholm's.

They said it was to protect cyclists - another fashion.

as I am still active as owner on the HQ mailing list , the latest Pug newsies is that the success of the Melbourne car show only reinforces to Peugeot that the future is just electricfying!
It's clear Pug does not give a toss about its ICE customer base
Screenshot 2023-10-13 14.58.24.png

Look up ULEZ in London for over-reach. Peugeot's attitude appears to be to offer a range of technologies and let the buyer decide. The reality is that a buyer who was flat out buying a new car at $40K is just not going to have the capacity to buy an EV at $60K+ regardless of incentives like FBT. If manufacturers simply present a 50% rise in prices, their volumes will crater, so EV volumes are likely to be self-limiting.

Peugeot's PHEV can be programmed to reserve the electric charge for, say, the final inner-city leg of a journey. So, you can confidently plan to drive your PHEV home on a Sunday evening from a weekend in the country without range anxiety ( and of being screamed at by the family in the EV charger queue) and reserve the EV capability for the most beneficial portion of the journey. It is interesting technology.

This week's Luton Airport Carpark fire will be a EV FUD event for many, although it may not have been started by an EV as many seem to think. There was a partial collapse, so it will be interesting to see what part EVs, PHEVs and hybrids may have played in making the fire so severe.

This week's Luton Airport Carpark fire will be a EV FUD event for many, although it may not have been started by an EV as many seem to think. There was a partial collapse, so it will be interesting to see what part EVs, PHEVs and hybrids may have played in making the fire so severe.
The conjecture seems to be around whether the Range Rover catalyst for the Luton fire was a diesel, or a diesel hybrid. Certainly all versions of the RR series in question were subject to various recalls relating to fire risk. Cooling fan fires, DRS fires, turbo oil leak fires, diesel pipe fires etc. The first two were electrical issues noted by RR to have the potential to spontaneously combust while the vehicle was parked.

Did you see the English review I posted the other day? British sales of the Berlingo collapsed when it became all-electric, so the diesel model has returned. You might say by popular demand, and a lesson for Stellantis.

A lot of comments in response to the claim about a diesel start in Luton were along the lines that diesel is 'cold' and doesn't burn very rapidly. I guess those people haven't seen a particle filter fire starter! There was also a large amount of plastic - congealed hydrocarbons - to add to the bonfire. The fire intensity was impressive in the few clips I saw.
Yes, I did see the Berlingo article and it demonstrates the 'demand' point well. The EV tech simply has to become both better and cheaper.

I just watched the news where they were talking about the Feds putting in $90 million with NRMA to build as many fast charging stations in places like Stuart Highway in NT and many regional parts of Queensland. It seems there's no turning back. Regional Australia and Territories like NT say they don't want to be left behind and the Feds obliged, it seems it is easier said than done given even in non-remote NT places are sometimes not accessible to the grid and at other times, the grid cannot cope with the demands of fast charging.
It seems the cost of building charging stations is about half a million dollars a pop so private investments are needed to fund this rollout, These are the ones that come with the whole shebang such as solar and back up you guessed it: diesel power as there is no grid accessible or the grid cannot cope. nonetheless, it appears the government is hell-bent on going down this path and will continue to build as many charging stations as possible in NT and regional areas to encourage the take-up of EVs, despite wondering where are regional places going to come up with the cash to buy a basic EV at north of 60k? didn't we were just told putting a roof over the head is harder than ever?

They typically charge you of the order of 60c/kWh incl. GST at a fast charging station. Say on average it can supply at 50kW (this is not the more common 22kW chargers that are often free mind you.) and so that fast charger might earn $30/hr incl. GST. If you assume it sells power for a solid 12 hours/day it would generate revenue of $360/day, $130K per year if it's in use every day, which it won't be based on what you actually encounter with these chargers. Deduct GST, the cost of the power being sold and all the recurring costs to keep it working and it's no wonder the charging companies are reportedly struggling to make things pay and some are worried about hitting the wall. I don't know if such a charger would ever pay itself off without subsidies, but I guess the charging companies know their business case and investors see a return somewhere.