Floride Caravelle info

Hello my friends

Our three Caravelle survived to the tour de France called " Rout'2 France"
The trip was from May 11 to June 3
first part was organised by Floride Caravelle Club de France with 56 Floride and Caravelle
Second part in Burgundy
Third part in Limoges organised with three other clubs and 46 cars

I don't know why but there are very few if any Flocars from the UK at French Flocar club events.
I own the only right side steering Caravelle in the flocar Clubs

The reasons to have few UK Flocar are:
There are very few Flocar in the Uk and usually in poor condition
Normally french people do not appreciate Rignt hand steer in France
So if they have an opportunity to buy one they modify it
I have seen twice french guys trying to modify English Garavelle to french version and discovering how it is difficult

Here is mine
114518d1561865771-floride-caravelle-info-uk-r1133.jpg

The reason for me to purchase this version is Photography
I discovered that , in France, pictures of the road are frequently better for the left side than from the right side of the car.
With this car I have the possibility to have Anne Marie taking pictures from the center of the road

Attachments

• UK-R1133.jpg
    UK-R1133.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 362
Last edited:
Hello my friends

Our three Caravelle survived to the tour de France called " Rout'2 France"
The trip was from May 11 to June 3
first part was organised by Floride Caravelle Club de France with 56 Floride and Caravelle
Second part in Burgundy
Third part in Limoges organised with three other clubs and 46 cars

I discovered that , in France, pictures of the road are frequently better for the left side than from the right side of the car.
With this car I have the possibility to have Anne Marie taking pictures from the center of the road

And a wonderful trip it was too!! We so appreciated your generosity in making cars available for us to drive for a long time and for many kilometres, your hospitality, and then the friendship of so many people in France. A great experience!

I hadn't thought of the position of the photographer!!!

Thanks again.

Hi JohnW And I have not thought that it could be frightening for her to be in the "driver" place without any driving wheel and any pedals. But she is very smart and began to be used to :wink2:

I hadn't thought of that either!! Yes, she is indeed very smart... :) You could always give her a second brake pedal....

I was watching the movie "Mrs Harris goes to Paris", and what should show up in the movie. A Caravelle.
Nice looking red one.
Watch the movie and tell me the things that are wrong about the Caravelle.
Let us see how many things they got wrong.
Look forward to all the comments.

The two things I noticed were the spacing of “C A R A V E L L E” on the nose and it had an ‘S’ steering wheel but standard dash…. But why let a few details spoil a good story. Also it was suggested the story was set in 1956 - while of course, the Floride wasn’t released til ‘59 let alone the Caravelle

While we’re on the topic starring roles for old Renaults - Check out “Hitler Diaries” on SBS on Demand - the anti-hero drives an R4 while the hero drives a 16TX

Fireblade.
You picked up the three items I noticed as well.
But as you stated, why let a few details get in the way of a good story.
Not only some great looking cars in the movie, the dresses were amazing. Hope they were acuate.

I've had a read over the past few days of all the information in this thread and still unclear of the options for the interior and hard top when a R.1092 Floride was purchased new. Hopefully someone could clear this up for me.

Looking at this post on Page 2 the cabriolet was available in six colours and there was a Body colour chip, Imitation leather of interior trim chip and a Imitation leather complimentary of the interior trim chip. From that I'm guessing the main seat surface was the middle chip, and the back of the seat, soft-top and soft-top cover was the complimentary colour (right chip)? Not sure if that's correct...

Was the complimentary colour for the hard-top as well or purchases choice when they ordered their Floride and you could mix and match?
Thanks in advance :)
Jason
I can give one example of the color options for a late 1962 R1092 Floride (Caravelle in the USA). The car below (if you could call it a car) has had one respray of the metallic green (lighter green over darker green). All other colors are original. I know the history of this car from about 1966. The hardtop was originally black, the soft top was either a black or dark grey (never replaced) and the seats and doors had two tone vinyl - dark green and light green. Still original. This car was rotten back in 1975, my friend drove it for many years (kept having to get things welded up) and finally sold it to a car dealer in 1993 (when there wasn't anything solid enough to be welded). Yes, he actually got paid money. It looked ok back then, but was falling apart. That is about the only time I have seen a customer get the best of a used car dealer. I don't think it was driven much after 1993.

gvacaravelle1.jpggvacaravelle4.jpggvacaravelle5.jpg

The top of the dashboard (facia) was painted a dark green similar to the dark green vinyl. The area between the back seat lower cushion and the floor had a type of carpet with a horizontal pattern. I don't think this carpet was used anywhere else in the car. Again, it was original. Here is a picture from the same car. The view is looking from the driver's side door opening towards the passenger side. The other picture shows the approximate area on a restored car.

gvacaravelle7.jpgRenault-Floride seats sm.jpg

Going by a 1960 sales brochure, the white cars came with a solid red interior. The dashboard was red on top with white along the front (vertical) portion. Brochures don't always reflect actual options and colors.

Caravelle.
Your photos look great.
We would have had the top off as well, but the temperature was 12 degrees and as you can see, it was raining about 30 minutes before we headed to the wedding.

Hi Everyone.
Have you seen the Caravelle for sale on Carsales. Asking 69,990.00.
Looking forward to the comments on what is not original, but beautiful looking car and will go with that engine.
Makes all our Florides and Caravelles double in value if they get the asking price.

And I was only asking $22,000 for mine. Not a concourse car of course but generally in good condition. Chris said I should ask $25,000 at least. Hmmmm.