Dspecial restoration 1975

Panels packed and on their way to the beauty shop

20161019_175216.jpg
20161019_175241.jpg
20161019_175303.jpg

Soda blasting seems to be the current fad. Have walnut shells come and gone? Have you used soda blasting previously? Any issues with paint adhesion, surface quality or post-blast prep? There are many stories about surface micro-polishing and residues. Also it supposedly doesn't remove rust and that requires re-blasting with abrasive media.

the best way to go is electrolysis bath with zinc phosphate coat after, gets through the metal and everywhere. I've got panels unpainted now for over 3 months just sitting and barely any surface rust appearing. Just have to find the time to put in the bottom panels and proceed to paint. No abrasion and chemically treated!

Soda blasting seems to be the current fad. Have walnut shells come and gone? Have you used soda blasting previously? Any issues with paint adhesion, surface quality or post-blast prep? There are many stories about surface micro-polishing and residues. Also it supposedly doesn't remove rust and that requires re-blasting with abrasive media.

Never done this process before but the panel beater insisted on having the sodablasting process done prior rust repairs. he will cut the rust section out and plate the area

A year back I had my Renault 4CV soda-blasted and repainted, back to metal for the first time since December 1950. It was a very good process and the painting went well. My painter uses soda-blasting regularly and speaks highly of the process.

The original Renault primer was tenacious and came off in the end with a phosphoric acid wipe. There was practically no rust to consider, no spidery trails of rust under the primer, so I can't comment on soda blasting on rusty metal. It did take chrome plating off pitted/grotty old diecasting that with hindsight we should have masked. I have new ones so it didn't matter.

The photos show before during and after for the bonnet, the body after soda blasting and the final result. I'm well pleased!

Cheers

Attachments

• Bonnet hole for filling 25 Nov.jpg
    Bonnet hole for filling 25 Nov.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 359
  • Bonnet repairs 26 Nov 2015.jpg
    Bonnet repairs 26 Nov 2015.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 345
  • Bonnet painted 17 Dec 2015 sml.jpg
    Bonnet painted 17 Dec 2015 sml.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 338
  • Stripped to metal 1.jpg
    Stripped to metal 1.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 337
  • Two projects completed sml.jpg
    Two projects completed sml.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 682
A year back I had my Renault 4CV soda-blasted and repainted, back to metal for the first time since December 1950. It was a very good process and the painting went well. My painter uses soda-blasting regularly and speaks highly of the process.

The original Renault primer was tenacious and came off in the end with a phosphoric acid wipe. There was practically no rust to consider, no spidery trails of rust under the primer, so I can't comment on soda blasting on rusty metal. It did take chrome plating off pitted/grotty old diecasting that with hindsight we should have masked. I have new ones so it didn't matter.

The photos show before during and after for the bonnet, the body after soda blasting and the final result. I'm well pleased!

Cheers

The results looks quite stunning and the colour suits the car

The judges at Saturday's French Car Day in Perth agreed with you. It took off a Michelin / Bonjour Perth trophy.:dance:

Thanks John - after all that we didn't get a decent chat all day! Next time. I was blown away - never won anything like that before!

The results looks quite stunning and the colour suits the car

Thank you so much. We had a big family debate about the colour. I wanted to go to her original grey (they look lovely in grey) but she'd been blue since 1966 (yes, I've owned the car for 50 years now) and I was outvoted. I'm not unhappy with the results though! The surprise was just how good the metal was under the awful paint.

And to repeat, the soda blasting really was very satisfactory.

Cheers

Thank you so much. We had a big family debate about the colour. I wanted to go to her original grey (they look lovely in grey) but she'd been blue since 1966 (yes, I've owned the car for 50 years now) and I was outvoted. I'm not unhappy with the results though! The surprise was just how good the metal was under the awful paint.

There would be no need for disappointment there John as it looks sensational in blue and sits up nicely on the suspension, the wheels look a treat as well.

Cheers

There would be no need for disappointment there John as it looks sensational in blue and sits up nicely on the suspension, the wheels look a treat as well.

Noice!

90340d1452045100-dspecial-restoration-1975-two-projects-completed-sml.jpg

Terrific result and a great looking car. Well done.

Thanks to all. Most kind. I really didn't want to hijack the thread, just to respond to the soda blast question.... :)

Cheers

In my opinion I call this colour the perfect blue, "50 years" cant believe you kept this car for so long.... :dance:

In my opinion I call this colour the perfect blue, "50 years" cant believe you kept this car for so long.... :dance:

Pleased to help. As for keeping it so long, it just sort of became part of the family, and I always loved it. We went on our honeymoon in it too. And camping. And..... :)

Good luck with your painting.

1975 Dspecial restoration

The Sodablaster man has been and not much bog showing on the panel except for the front passenger door wihch is not repairable its also badly twisted so come on guys "someone out there must have a spare front passenger door that they dont need". prepared to pay good money for a good one will even take one with some rust .

PART_1477286173720_3.jpg
received_10211193555464112.jpg
received_10211193556584140.jpg
received_10211193557464162.jpg
received_10211193675547114.jpg

Last edited:
Slow progress but managed to remove the dash ready to weld and repair the roof rail. Revamped the rear suspension cylinders with new seals, new rubber boots, new brake cylinder rubber kits, new rubber stoppers and reconditioned spheres.
Still chasing a good second hand front passenger door??
The dash is still in good condition perhaps just a touch up will suffise the electrical harness is quite healthy there is lot of painting to do.

20161103_161245.jpg
20161103_161253.jpg
20161103_161355.jpg
20161103_161414.jpg

20161103_161444.jpg
20161103_161455.jpg
20161103_161501.jpg

This weekend the roof rail rust cancer was removed and the donor roof rail prepared to fit over the existing rail. All welding spots drilled out to avoid having to remove the door surrounding rubbers basically avoiding to cut the support below; a slow job and did. The donor frame will also need some patching. Before welding the donor frame will be trialled into position secured just using with self-tappers to hold the frame into position and will temporally refit the windscreen and roof to check alignment and then if all fit nicely weld into position.

20161106_125847_HDR.jpg
20161106_125851_HDR.jpg
20161106_151846_HDR.jpg
20161106_151851_HDR.jpg
20161106_151858.jpg
20161106_182841_HDR.jpg
20161106_182846.jpg
20161106_182853.jpg

Last edited:
Dspecial restoration

Following M.B instructions I successfully resprayed my dash using VHT wrinkle spray from auto barn. The more paint used the thicker the wrinkle. The process is reasonably easy. Im happy with the results at least it can be touch up if required

I dropped the glove box accidently consequently it will have to be done again

20161110_170848.jpg
20161111_064022.jpg
20161111_064046.jpg

Last edited: