Dspecial restoration 1975

D Special restoration 1975

loving this Phillip you guys seem to have down to a production line. impressive and very fast. the experience is showing as it is the attention to detail that is importance. especially as these cars have so so many damn bits and pieces. it is also good that repo parts are available.

congratulation look forward to seeing the finished product.

Has the quality of repro rubber improved recently? Some of it has been terrible going back over the last several years. I bought a mudflap kit with those stainless fittings from one of the usual suspects and the rubber stank so much it couldn't stay indoors. Are these OK? Some mudflaps bought via CTA were in contrast very much better.

That filter is where almost every car you will encounter has had it fitted. It may not be strictly correct, but that's where it usually is. Isn't there supposed to be strainer in the tank in the form of stacked discs? The EFI cars have a filter located in the sill between the tank and pump, but you don't have that in a carby car. EFI fuel tanks don't get the strainer per the parts book. There's a document covering it in the downloadable parts/manual info. Look for "DS fuel tank filter.pdf" in the fuel-system directory of the Green CD.

Last edited:
Great to see your progress. very inspiring. Having viewed several days posts in one evening it all makes it look so quick and easy!

loving this Phillip you guys seem to have down to a production line. impressive and very fast. the experience is showing as it is the attention to detail that is importance. especially as these cars have so so many damn bits and pieces. it is also good that repo parts are available.

congratulation look forward to seeing the finished product.

Thanks for the compliments Lamoor its still a long way to go but we are enjoying ourselves my son and I that is.
Repro parts are not ideal and they are expensive but I least you have something that you can use.

Has the quality of repro rubber improved recently? Some of it has been terrible going back over the last several years. I bought a mudflap kit with those stainless fittings from one of the usual suspects and the rubber stank so much it couldn't stay indoors. Are these OK? Some mudflaps bought via CTA were in contrast very much better.

That filter is where almost every car you will encounter has had it fitted. It may not be strictly correct, but that's where it usually is. Isn't there supposed to be strainer in the tank in the form of stacked discs? The EFI cars have a filter located in the sill between the tank and pump, but you don't have that in a carby car. EFI fuel tanks don't get the strainer per the parts book. There's a document covering it in the downloadable parts/manual info. Look for "DS fuel tank filter.pdf" in the fuel-system directory of the Green CD.

Well!! I would say the rubber flap kit is not too bad I bought it from Citro Services and I must say the smell is tolerable you’re right some years back it really smelled.
Correct!! Most fuel filters that I have seen have been fitted pass the pump the location is really irrelevant the pressure of the mechanical pump is actually quite good and the filter is passive with very little drag. You will know quickly if any issues.
Right or wrong this is my 2 cents worth.

1975 Dspecial resto

Just one picture today my second steering wheel has finally arrived it took two and a half month. will need to decide which of the two I will use....:)

20161013_065055.jpg

Well!! I would say the rubber flap kit is not too bad I bought it from Citro Services and I must say the smell is tolerable you’re right some years back it really smelled.
Correct!! Most fuel filters that I have seen have been fitted pass the pump the location is really irrelevant the pressure of the mechanical pump is actually quite good and the filter is passive with very little drag. You will know quickly if any issues.
Right or wrong this is my 2 cents worth.

LeParisian,
My comment re the position of the fuel filter has nothing to do with its efficiency as has been posted.
My concern is if the filter springs a leak it will be under pressure and will spray over the hot engine.
Despite comments that this is the usual place to install the filter my experience is the opposite. Thinking mechanics will realise that the filter mounted on high and under pressure is not a good thing. The engine heat is not a good environment for the plastic.
As to efficiency it will be the same if on the suction [tank] side of the pump.

Personal experience. I had a plastic low mounted filter [not Ryco] leak from a crack in the hose spout. Fortunately it was just that,a leak, the petrol smell giving safe warning.

My remark re the little Solex was meant in jest and no I couldn't see anything else wrong. Nice work.:headbang:

1975 Dspecial resto

Received yet again more parts this time the flexi, windscreen rubber ect.....
I juggle between citroworld and citroservices to buy my parts sometimes one as the item and the other doesnt...

20161013_165207.jpg
20161014_064447.jpg

LeParisian,
My comment re the position of the fuel filter has nothing to do with its efficiency as has been posted.
My concern is if the filter springs a leak it will be under pressure and will spray over the hot engine.
Despite comments that this is the usual place to install the filter my experience is the opposite. Thinking mechanics will realise that the filter mounted on high and under pressure is not a good thing. The engine heat is not a good environment for the plastic.
As to efficiency it will be the same if on the suction [tank] side of the pump.

Personal experience. I had a plastic low mounted filter [not Ryco] leak from a crack in the hose spout. Fortunately it was just that,a leak, the petrol smell giving safe warning.

My remark re the little Solex was meant in jest and no I couldn't see anything else wrong. Nice work.:headbang:

Good point wildebeest! this a good constructive comment thank you, years ago I had an engine fire at a petrol station in the middle of the city with my 1963 ID, the copper tube from the Webber popped off and sprayed the spark plug on a near 40 degree day, yeah that wasn’t fun!!!!!!! My first Citroen it happened around 1971 I managed to return it on the road, this car only had hydraulic suspension so easier to fix, bad memories!!!!:confused:.

Last edited:
I've started the engine and it runs really well on the Solex carby. I have some issues with flexi the problem is the muffler is 1975 and the engine pipe is 1969 so the flexy needs modification. I have a small movie clip but cannot upload.

20161015_145623.jpg
20161015_145630.jpg
20161015_145638.jpg
20161016_150712.jpg

20161016_150721.jpg
20161016_150726.jpg
20161016_150732.jpg
20161016_150737.jpg

The search for an old school panel beater has finally stopped I've found someone experienced in that field willing to do the job there is lot of rust cutting and plating to do. So every panels have been stripped and thursday they will go the the beauty shop. its been a very very busy weekend and as you can see I'm working in a very comfined area..:confused:

It will be done into 4 stages
1 Soda blasting all panels inside and out
2 Rust cutting some new patches provided
3 Spray painting
4 Realignment of panels on chassis
Roughly around 3 months

20161016_201432.jpg
20161017_061016.jpg
20161014_164806.jpg
20161016_201425.jpg
20161016_201417.jpg
20161017_060954.jpg
20161017_061024.jpg
20161015_144145.jpg
20161017_061009.jpg

Pic 6 of 9 where you're blocking the old rear vision mirror holes out - the original hole sometimes tears to the front of the door. I've seen some with extra strengthening welded behind. Our drivers door has torn. It's worth doing while your painting.

Pic 6 of 9 where you're blocking the old rear vision mirror holes out - the original hole sometimes tears to the front of the door. I've seen some with extra strengthening welded behind. Our drivers door has torn. It's worth doing while your painting.

Thanks! will pass it on to the panel beater