DS voltage regulator wiring

I’m dismantling my lovely Christian Fahrig loom and the wire that should go from regulator (red sleeve) to the green connector on dash goes all by itself, and thick diameter to around about the ignition switch with a female bullet connector. WTF? Did he make this for a BVH I am starting to wonder, it’s bizarre.

What's the color of the female, Steven? Should be either brown or white. On the 3-dial dash, the BVM cars had an extra pair of wires on the ignition switch, coded in brown and white. One in from the regulator, the other out to the start solenoid. Dig around a little bit and you should find them.

Steven, if the Iskra supplied by Darrin is what you're working with, disregard my last post. My main question is now are you working with the battery post start solenoid?

Steven, if the Iskra supplied by Darrin is what you're working with, disregard my last post. My main question is now are you working with the battery post start solenoid?

Bill, sorry I'm once again confusing things. Steven isn't using the Alt supplied by Citroen Classics, I only showed it as there are obviously differing configurations. His is as supplied by Citrotech and the blurb in my previous post shows how dssmpassion describes the wiring as an English translation for that configuration. . .

Cheers
Chris

Thanks Chris yes I didn’t get a diagram for set up but going off DSSmpassion one. This is where it really confuses me Bill, I plugged in the wires from ignition , brown sleeve and white sleeve to the two in loom that could only have been for the extra ignition wires, but one female on those had a smaller bullet, what I now find is the regulator wire as you point out, so I changed it to a bigger female and don’t remember what the sleeve was as I put it on without one, didn’t have one handy. It wouldn’t start though so I ended up putting the brown sleeve off ignition straight to battery. It then started and worked but charging light stayed on! I used the diagram supplied by maker to reinvestigate issues and noted the brown sleeve off ignition was shown to head onto feed for light switch so discarded the wire I made up to battery and patched wire onto light switch feed and plugged into ignition brown sleeve. So why does this regulator red sleeve go to the ignition when every diagram shows it going straight to the dash? this is quietly doing my head in!

I have a citrotech Iska one I think, pretty sure, solenoid on starter. before I go too much further I’ll confirm with photo tomorrow the set up on alternator, then think tankers can walk me through this headache! Really appreciate you guys helping btw. : )

I have the loom stretched out on table denuded of tape so I can see what wires are where, bits of tape here and there with notes so I know where to wrap it from again.

this is the old timer electrique de diagram I used to repatch the ignition brown sleeve into light switch-
205B0D70-5E1A-4354-80A1-8109F7DDFE1E.jpg

Last edited:
I have a citrotech Iska one I think, pretty sure, solenoid on starter. before I go too much further I’ll confirm with photo tomorrow the set up on alternator, then think tankers can walk me through this headache! Really appreciate you guys helping btw. : )

I have the loom stretched out on table denuded of tape so I can see what wires are where, bits of tape here and there with notes so I know where to wrap it from again.

This one Steven?
https://citrotech.nl/shop/product/dynamo-ds-met-ingebouwde-spanningsregelaar-nieuw/

Loom tape, I've got loom tape. . . had to buy a box of the stuff, black fabric with adhesive - yell out if you need a few rolls :wink2:

Cheers
Chris

so far I believe I have discovered the dash charging lamp wire is wired up to the starter solenoid connecting wire. The way the wires were put together indicates a blunder as the red sleeve reg wire which should have the dash wire coming off it ( if it was made for a car with a starter relay) doesn't have the wire and the starter solenoid wire (also red sleeve) does have it. So it's kind of back the front anyway, the wire connecting the starter solenoid wire to ignition has a bullet connection and the reg wire has the o ring connector. So I'd call that a mistake. I am attempting to put a wire back in which will run direct from yellow on reg on new alternator straight to green plug on dash and double check where the positive out of alternator actually goes. I've even got the right sleeves so future headaches can be avoided. Not really impressed by all this but hey that's communicating with people whose language is not native English I guess. Pretty sure I explained it was a manual 74 carby rhd in the first place. Devil is in the detail but straight out blunders don't help. Or was it sabotage because I kicked up a stink about the VAT? I wil never know.

Going to go and test it later and see what happens : )

Last edited:
I'm having a godamn beer. I tested the loom with corrected wires and the alernator works fine and the dash light goes out.

Thanks to everyone for advice and suggestions. It has taken way to long to solve this but now I kind of know what to look for.

Cheers Steven

so far I believe I have discovered the dash charging lamp wire is wired up to the starter solenoid connecting wire.

Going to go and test it later and see what happens : )

Sounds like they gave you the loom for a BVH. Wiring the lamp and the starter wire together is how the starter interlock works. Both the wand and the lamp ground through the lamp relay in the VR.

this is definitely the case John but it was still wrong even for that, the dash wire was on the wrong wire. ie it was coming off the white sleeve wire to the power and not the reg wire. I can see that from the colour codes and the connectors put on the wires. Glad it's solved now. I was beginning to get a bit fed up with it. I just want to drive it!

Last edited: