D Model Radio Solution.

its in the parts manual, I panicked when I saw it then put 2 and 2 together, Othellos site has taken over as a quick reference point, especially the vert Pallas, Herr Zink doesn't get studied so much now!

its in the parts manual, I panicked when I saw it then put 2 and 2 together, Othellos site has taken over as a quick reference point, especially the vert Pallas, Herr Zink doesn't get studied so much now!

They are both very generous with the information they share, Othello has recently opened his site to all-comers, previously much of the info was by subscription only.

I don't think you'll need that cowl flap in the NT :roflmao:

Cheers
Chris

Do you know exactly which model of Retrosound 2 you used? If I look on Amazon there are about fifty different models. Also are there any issues with FM bands?

Cheers
Rick

Do you know exactly which model of Retrosound 2 you used? If I look on Amazon there are about fifty different models. Also are there any issues with FM bands?

Cheers
Rick

You can configure the model 2 for different country radio bands.
The different models are different faceplate, knob etc combinations.

The main thing you need to think about when purchasing the unit is the finish of the display (the rectangular middle bit). Comes in black (which I used) and Chrome. (maybe Ivory too, can't recall). I went with Black and you can see throughout this thread the different buttons and faceplates that were tried. I am currently using the becker style front knobs, with cut down different rear knobs and Greenblood's face plate.

Cheers
Rick

Rick,
There is only one Model 2 - but in three button/fascia combinations as seen here.
http://www.retrosoundusa.com.au/index.php?l=product_list&c=209
Don't be confused by the Zuma and Model 1

The Model 2 is the only one with bluetooth so should be easily distinguished from the lesser models.

No problems with FM, as Bryce has mentioned you can select Aus/Euro/USA I would think Aus would cover NZ.

Let me know if you would like the Citroen faceplate :wink2:
Did you get here via NZ DS News

Cheers
Chris

Thanks Chris and Bryce. Yes I would like to get a faceplate, let me know how to go about that. If you look for Retrosound model two on Amazon, there are probably 50-60 combinations. I will go for a Chrome one, but does it matter which knobs I go for?

Yes I found this forum and the link to your excellent post in NZ DS News. I have just bought a '71 DS21 after having a series of "D's" in my youth in the eighties. It's nice to be back!

Cheers
Rick

I will go for a Chrome one, but does it matter which knobs I go for?

Yes, the knobs matter from a fitment point of view. The place in the dash is very small and not all the knobs fit that well. If you let the knobs stick out a bit more, you have more options, but even then they can't be too wide at the base. I wanted them more flush, so I was more restricted.

Here is where I am swapping from my 1st solution to my second one:
Retrosound Model 2 in a Citroen DS ? Revisited « Classic Jalopy

This is where I cut the knobs to size
Retrosound model 2 knob adjustment « Classic Jalopy

Using the becker knobs:
Retrosound radio in the DS almost complete for the second time « Classic Jalopy

Some details of my original install:
Installing the Retrosound Model 2 in a Citroen DS « Classic Jalopy

There are a few ways to install the retrosound, and Greenblood used a different approach to me and also had a great result, so its really down to what you want it to look like and what works well for you.

Bryce

There are a few ways to install the retrosound, and Greenblood used a different approach to me and also had a great result, so its really down to what you want it to look like and what works well for you.

Bryce

I should point out that the cutout in the 'Citroen faceplate' for the 'Retrosound Fascia' is a fit when set to the back, Bryce has set the faceplate forward, and as the fascia is wider at the base the faceplate leaves gaps at the front. A different (and neat) solution facilitated by the ability to separate the control fascia from the main unit. I'm sure Bryce will find a way to solve the gaps :wink2:

The complete unit is a snug fit and with possibly 20+ installations now, so far, it's fair to say it does fit, and with the unit firmly secured by the original cubby nuts and bolts.

Cheers
Chris

While not specifically related to the retrosound, I re-wired my rear speakers today. Originally I had the wires going along the passengers side of the car, and I had tucked them under the marine carpet that was in place of the proper sill trim. As I am now in the process of replacing that carpet with the proper trim, I spent a few hours doing it the right way - following the factory wiring harness to the rear of the car. This was possible because I had the stainless steel outer sill covers removed for that job.

On the passengers side, the cables can come out of the dashboard near the heater hose. From there, they can dive under the car between the inner and outer sill. You want them there, and not in the box section so you can still get access to them. The factory has helpfully left little guides for the wiring harness that you can string the speaker wire along, until you reach the rear of the car and the hard bit.

You can get the wire to go up the base of the c-pillar bit the hole is tiny and you'll first need to push something that is somewhat flexible and then pull up a single wire then finally your speaker wire. I used a brake bleed hose.

for more details, see here:
Re-routing the DS rear speaker wires « Classic Jalopy

Chris
do you haven still a faceplate for me??

Tijs Kolen
The Netherlands

Hi and welcome to Aussiefrogs :wink2:

Yes, I can supply a faceplate kit, I'll send you a PM with my contact details.

Cheers
Chris

Okay, so I have the radio installed - thanks Chris for the faceplate. I ended up getting a car audio place to install the radio (after I had fitted it to the modified holder) as I just didn't have the time. They also installed my new La Marseillaise air horn (very tacky but puts a smile on everyone's face). The install company could not find the aerial cable so I have no radio. However I managed to find the aerial cable in less than two minutes and I just need to pull it through behind the glove box. When I remove the speaker vent from the top of he dashboard, I notice that the whole cavity is filled with a vast amount of sponge rubber. My question is "Is this normal?" if there is such a thing as normal in a DS. And do I need to worry about how I stuff it all back in?

Cheers
Rick

The sponge rubber is not normal Rick (even for a Citroen) maybe an attempt by a previous owner to stop the rattle you get in an empty cubby?

Cheers
Chris

Chris
I received your front within 7 days (the Netherlands). Great job.
It looks stunning, and the retrosound model 2 plays very good. Also the music from my iphone and calling handsfree.
Thanks. DSCN4887.jpgDSCN4889.jpgDSCN4890.jpg

Last edited:
By the way.
My DS is a 1971, DSpecial, 5 gear, unrestored, 63000km, no welding, no rust.
I bought it 8 years ago. It was owned by a French teacher, who did not driven it for 15 years. It had 39000 km on the clock. He just had serviced it, to get it back on the road.

Chris
I received your front within 7 days (the Netherlands). Great job.
It looks stunning, and the retrosound model 2 plays very good. Also the music from my iphone and calling handsfree.
Thanks.

By the way.
I bought it 8 years ago. It was owned by a French teacher, who did not driven it for 15 years. It had 39000 km on the clock. He just had serviced it, to get it back on the road.

Hi Tijs,

Sounds like a very special car, original 63000km - staggering!! In Australia we didn't see the D Special with 5 speed gearbox but I note it was an available option at the time. I see that your Jaeger clock is still keeping perfect time (also very rare), and your car has the left right park switch that I don't recall on our Special's here.

Yours is only the second D fitted with this radio face in the Netherlands. :)

71729d1436643662-d-model-radio-solution-dscn4887.jpg

Cheers
Chris

By the way.

Hello

can we see some pics of the car? :).

Matthew