D Model Radio Solution.

Does 'Harrisson_Citroen know you've nicked his avatar for your phone???

(yes, I know you designed it...)

Does 'Harrisson_Citroen know you've nicked his avatar for your phone???

(yes, I know you designed it...)

Shhhhhhhhh!

Getting a bit carried away now but we could produce our own, something like this - or should I have a lie down and a Bex :clown:

attachment.php

Cheers
Chris

Couldn't help myself, these are now printed, I've moved things around a bit so that text sits over buttons etc. and left a clear window for the digital info.

I've ordered the smaller knobs from Retrosound Aus, couple of weeks away but they should tidy things up nicely.

The analog dial face is just tacked in position with low-tack double sided tape for these pics :wink2:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• Analog dial face1a.jpg
    Analog dial face1a.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 3,195
  • Analog dial face2a.jpg
    Analog dial face2a.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 3,237
Couldn't help myself, these are now printed, I've moved things around a bit so that text sits over buttons etc. and left a clear window for the digital info.

I've ordered the smaller knobs from Retrosound Aus, couple of weeks away but they should tidy things up nicely.

This looks great - and interested to hear how you go with the smaller knobs..
Bryce

I appear to have stirred some interest so am about to print a second batch. . .

Cheers
Chris

Second batch printed and 6 kits in the post today, including one to the UK and one to NZ, Bryce yours just made it :wink2:

Though perhaps not an authentic solution Retrosound have provided us with something that has not been available for 40 years - decent sound in a package that fits that non standard space :cool:

Cheers
Chris

Bryce yours just made it :wink2:

Though perhaps not an authentic solution Retrosound have provided us with something that has not been available for 40 years - decent sound in a package that fits that non standard space :cool:

Thanks Chris, looking forward to getting it!

I'm a big fan of the retrosound products. I've installed their model 1 in another car and they had a face plate that matched perfectly what was shown in the brochure. I've also used their slimline speakers.

15141874818_abf11fdccf_z.jpg

Second batch printed and 6 kits in the post today, including one to the UK and one to NZ, Bryce yours just made it :wink2:

Cheers
Chris

I had a little electric jump when I read this! Coooooooool. Now to decide if I attack this job myself and take weeks making a mess before paying someone to fix it up or just get it done properly in the first place. Now where's the fun in that?

Vince

I had a little electric jump when I read this! Coooooooool. Now to decide if I attack this job myself and take weeks making a mess before paying someone to fix it up or just get it done properly in the first place. Now where's the fun in that?

Vince

Trickiest part is running dedicated power and speaker cables without removing the dash, easy with the dash removed.

I ran my power via ignition which in hindsight was not a great idea with no accessory position, would have been more practical via a switch.

You should have a power source for the always on for the headunit just below the ashtray on the firewall. I had to run separate power directly from the battery to the amp fitted under the rear parcel shelf, with the trip from the headunit and RCAs to the rear. Speaker cables from the rear to front. Now that would be fun with the dash in place.

BTW, these kits are supplied with the Euro analog dial face, you need to supply your own double sided tape and remove the green protective film if you choose to fit :wink2:

Cheers
Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the advice, I am hoping to piggyback off the in-place infrastructure of the existing underdash installation. Which was done pretty shoddily and the entire loom is very accessible. Hanging by tape until I cable-tied it up and away. I left the cable runs in place when I removed the busted headunit and I just need to check them for breaks now. There are 3 speakers in the rear parcel shelf and 2 footwell units that I will replace. And a dashboard speaker if I can find one that fits.
Cheers
Vince

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the advice, I am hoping to piggyback off the in-place infrastructure of the existing underdash installation. Which was done pretty shoddily and the entire loom is very accessible. Hanging by tape until I cable-tied it up and away. I left the cable runs in place when I removed the busted headunit and I just need to check them for breaks now. There are 3 speakers in the rear parcel shelf and 2 footwell units that I will replace. And a dashboard speaker if I can find one that fits.
Cheers
Vince

YMMV but I found that the accessory point behind the dash was insufficient for the amperage requirements of the retrosound. I had to run a line from the battery. It is possible, but a pain to get this through with the dash in place. The accessory point is quite likely where a previous radio has been installed. The symptoms were that the radio would cut out randomly, worse if the volume was above a whisper.

Franzose sell a speaker that fits in the front dash. It is a paper construction like the original. I ended up going with two smaller speakers 3.5" that fit below the opening.

YMMV but I found that the accessory point behind the dash was insufficient for the amperage requirements of the retrosound. I had to run a line from the battery. It is possible, but a pain to get this through with the dash in place. The accessory point is quite likely where a previous radio has been installed. The symptoms were that the radio would cut out randomly, worse if the volume was above a whisper.

Franzose sell a speaker that fits in the front dash. It is a paper construction like the original. I ended up going with two smaller speakers 3.5" that fit below the opening.

Working from fading memory now, but I think I ran the aways on from the accessory point under the dash (it only runs clock and programmed stations etc.) The main power, yes definitely needs a direct connection to battery.

The two 3.5" speakers in front speaker location is a great idea :wink2:

Cheers
Chris

Thanks to GreenBlood for his brilliant workmanship..Here is my radio, like has been said a touch tricky to fit it all in, especially with all the extra cables fitted for subwoofer’s etc.... but I think it certainly looks the part and functions so well. I tend to leave it on Bluetooth and as soon as you hop in and start up it takes the music from my iPhone. The right hand knob rotates and lets you choose tracks from the phone. The Tricolour ribbon down there on the right is a USB stick in the remote USB mount.
A BIG thanks again to GreenBlood for his brilliant efforts....

my radio.jpgradio set up.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks to GreenBlood for his brilliant workmanship..Here is my radio, like has been said a touch tricky to fit it all in, especially with all the extra cables fitted for subwoofer’s etc.... but I think it certainly looks the part and functions so well. I tend to leave it on Bluetooth and as soon as you hop in and start up it takes the music from my iPhone. The right hand knob rotates and lets you choose tracks from the phone. The Tricolour ribbon down there on the right is a USB stick in the remote USB mount.
A BIG thanks agin to GreenBlood for his brilliant efforts....

63083d1416477812-d-model-radio-solution-my-radio.jpg

Nicely done Robin,
That really looks the part, the ivory buttons and knobs tone in nicely with the Ivoir Borley paint on your very special car. :approve:

Thanks for posting the pics, I'm dead chuffed, the whole unit does look quite purposeful rather than a blank backing plate :wink2:

Cheers
Chris

Just looking at the current Retrosound website I see they have added to their knob selection, these may be what I'm looking for - no sizes but they look smaller and maybe better suited?

Product Code 29-90
attachment.php

Cheers
Chris

Not much to report of worth, I finally received the 29-90 knob set and sadly the fronts are the same size as the Becker knobs I'm currently using. The full chrome insert is too 'zing bling' for a European look, I've also decided to replace the front Retrosound bezel fascia with the black button version to soften the look, pics when finalised.

What I can say though is that inquires are happening on a regular basis, the acceptance of this solution is most gratifying. The faceplate kits have found homes not only in Australia but, New Zealand, the UK, Switzerland, Sweden, Germany and most recently a kit on it's way to Belgium. No money has changed hands the kits have been gifted, in return I have had offers of accommodation, wine, Swiss chocolate, car parts etc. Friendships have been formed with Season Greetings being exchanged and updates with pictures of owners cars from around the world. This has been far more rewarding for me than putting a dollar value on the kits, in a troubled world what a great community we have in this forum and the Citroen fraternity as a whole. :cheers:

Looks like another production run will be on the cards. . . :wink2:

Cheers
Chris

Thanks to Greenblood, I have re-done the face part of my install. Still a tiny bit of shaving of the cubby to make it fit perfectly, but the new faceplate looks excellent.

I will post more detail later, but in the meantime, I started with this:
15889595712_b29b3fd5cb.jpg

There were issues around being able to use the rear knobs in reality, and the faceplate cut down was never looking as I wanted.

Enter the superb faceplate from Greenblood.
15929380506_39d324fa60.jpg

I modified a set of knobs so the rears were just the spurs, not the whole surround. This was the norm on old Becker radios for example.

Next was to cut the cubby down to size:
16138522037_2b5d4a7f11.jpg

Then the final install:
16323525752_b75042f52f.jpg

Very neat Bryce, nicely done. . .

Seeing the black button version I am a convert, less bling and a more Euro look :approve:

BTW, I notice your blog down over the last few days - all back up and running again now :wink2:

Cheers
Chris

Thanks.
To finish, i need to trim the cubby a bit to make it a bit more snug, Colour back some grey mounting strips you can see through the unit and re-fit the door of the ashtray in front of my usb ports.

the blog did go down, and the most recent backup was corrupted (I had to use a backup of the backup from a few months ago), so I am slowly adding back the last few months of posts one by one from google cache.

What I can say though is that inquires are happening on a regular basis, the acceptance of this solution is most gratifying. The faceplate kits have found homes not only in Australia but, New Zealand, the UK, Switzerland, Sweden, Germany and most recently a kit on it's way to Belgium. No money has changed hands the kits have been gifted, in return I have had offers of accommodation, wine, Swiss chocolate, car parts etc. Friendships have been formed with Season Greetings being exchanged and updates with pictures of owners cars from around the world. This has been far more rewarding for me than putting a dollar value on the kits, in a troubled world what a great community we have in this forum and the Citroen fraternity as a whole. :cheers:

Cheers
Chris

Further to the above comments I thought I would share this treasure with you. . .

I was contacted by a DS enthusiast in Belgium as mentioned above, now AF member OscarSpier. Oscar is an Artist and typically paints street scenes with classic Citroen cars as a focus, his work can be found here
Galerie Picoux (Drop down menu /Oscar).

Oscar offered a small mixed media artwork in exchange for a 'faceplate kit' and I was delighted to accept. I had mentioned in passing that my own car was Bleu Lagune in colour.

Well the painting arrived in the mail yesterday, to my surprise and delight Oscar has prepared a painting for me and included a D in Bleu Lagune - I'm truly humbled by this exchange of one mans skills and talents for another's, the artwork is just gorgeous, so delicate in an impressionistic style and beautifully crafted.

I have taken a photo but this image does not do justice to the painting, Oscar obviously has a passion for the DS and the car is represented with a minimum of brush strokes yet is fully informed with essential detail.

attachment.php

Thrilled :wink2:

Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• Oscar Painting DSpecial.jpg
    Oscar Painting DSpecial.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,622
A few more installations, some nice comments from Othello of Citothello who has now installed a Retrosound Model 2 into his own car.

www.citrothello.net/ds-23-ie-bvh-pallas-1973-restauration-10-2/ - Translator

Original link DS 23 IE BVH PALLAS 1974 RESTAURATION 11. | Citrothello

Othello said:
Then, end the installation of carpet, the calculator cache. Poses of the modern car, but with a façade resembling the original radio (Thanks Chris for Australia and Philippe).

My DS will be exhibited at the salon OTM, the largest exhibition of old cars from Switzerland on 21 and 22 March 2015. With my friend José, we were asked to occupy a beautiful space to put 10 DS on the occasion of 60 years. 8 DS de José will be exhibited, as well as my Prestige DS and the DS 23 IE. I think it will be interesting for people to discover the innards of a DS.

attachment.php

attachment.php

. . .and an installation in the Netherlands

www.citroen-forum.nl/forums/viewreply/1891503/ - Translator

Original link Citroen-Forum.nl - Citroën ID/DS - welk type autoradio

Some very nice detailed images of Gerard's handywork here . . .
https://plus.google.com/photos/1051...ms/6123985835317537201?authkey=CJCL_PDvxKjSLQ

attachment.php

Another on it's way to the UK and one now in the USA :wink2:

Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• Citothello Retrosound Model 2a.JPG
    Citothello Retrosound Model 2a.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 1,821
  • Citothello Retrosound Model 2b.JPG
    Citothello Retrosound Model 2b.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 2,290
  • 2015-03-08 16.55.40.jpg
    2015-03-08 16.55.40.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 1,978
Chris that's awesome, it must be very satisfying to see your work scattered around the globe. I like the anti vibration discs in the last pic lol! I assume that's what they are...

Matthew :)

Chris that's awesome, it must be very satisfying to see your work scattered around the globe. I like the anti vibration discs in the last pic lol! I assume that's what they are...

Matthew :)

I love the communication Matthew, the enthusiasm shown by owners is just fantastic with most sharing pictures and experiences.

The car of Othello's in the above link is interesting, 23IE BVH with Citroen Factory airconditioning. If you check the link you will see it has an air flap on the inside of the aluminum cowl at the radiator. This is controlled by a lever on the inside in the driver's footwell. I've not seen anything like it before on a D, must have something to do with very cold climates and assist with getting the engine up to temperature? A continuing learning experience for me :wink2:

Detailed images here. . .
DS 23 IE BVH PALLAS 1974 RESTAURATION 10. | Citrothello

attachment.php

Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• Cowl flap.JPG
    Cowl flap.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,549