Col's Renault R12 Wagon restoration

Isn't this what retirement is all about taking life slowly and enjoying what you do without the dead lines of a paying boss.

I'm semi retired at present only working 3 days a week, so should be able to achieve more than I am at present. I have other hobbies as well so they take time also.
I went through your thread Col. Your marking out for drilling holes looks mm perfect.
When I do em I'm like.😉👍 🤣

Reactions: COL
My condolences :( My partner's decision made against my advice was a new Alfa Romeo Giulietta - so I guess not a total loss here :)
My Alfa 147 was incredible bought with a faulty gearbox, which i replaced.
Ten years of reliability and no money spent, other than belts.
In the shed now as i bought a GTV but i like the 147 as it is a much better car.

I hope yours is as good as my one, or better.

My Alfa 147 was incredible bought with a faulty gearbox, which i replaced.
Ten years of reliability and no money spent, other than belts.
In the shed now as i bought a GTV but i like the 147 as it is a much better car.

I hope yours is as good as my one, or better.
So far… Although we are on our third one in 60K kms! First one last 5 months and 1000km - dealer fucked it up and there was a drawn out fight with Fiat Chrysler and the ACCC. Eventually they took it off my hands and gave me a new one. That one last 30K before it was totalled in the 2020 Canberra hailstorm. Insurance ripped us off on the payout and had to tip in 7K to get another new one. Third time lucky :)

Well, nice to see you back on the 12 Col.

I had to re-read the thread and looking back at your work, I had a thought about the square holes for the bumper supports. I would round the corners a bit to avoid the stress concentration points they create. Even if this means enlarging the holes a bit to give you room to put say a 5mm radius in the corners (that is 1cm overall in both width and height) this will very likely stop the cracks coming back in the future.

Made a little progress this week.

Welded on the chassis extensions to take the R18/Fuego style transaxle mounts.

Right side chassis extension
IMG_5313.JPG

Left side chassis extension
IMG_5314.JPG

Right side transaxle mount
IMG_5315.JPG

Left side transaxle mount
IMG_5316.JPG

Looking from the front
IMG_5317.JPG

welded up the original holes, need to shorten the outriggers so they do not hit the mount plates and drill a couple of new holes
IMG_5318.JPG

To work out where to drill the new mounting holes in the R18 steel transaxle mounts I decided it would be easier to build a mock section of the NG3 transaxle. So fabricated this "H" shaped section out of wood and drilled holes is it for the transaxle mounts.

IMG_5349.JPG

Bolted the transaxle mounts to the dummy transaxle section.
IMG_5351.JPG

Sitting on top the R18 rubber mounts.
IMG_5355.JPG

Now to mark out the position of the holes and trim the R18 steel mounts to length.

To work out where to drill the new mounting holes in the R18 steel transaxle mounts I decided it would be easier to build a mock section of the NG3 transaxle. So fabricated this "H" shaped section out of wood and drilled holes is it for the transaxle mounts.

View attachment 211991

Bolted the transaxle mounts to the dummy transaxle section.
View attachment 211992

Sitting on top the R18 rubber mounts.
View attachment 211993

Now to mark out the position of the holes and trim the R18 steel mounts to length.
Love it Col. Can you make 2? My Virage will need one eventually!

A bit more progress this week.

Drilled the holes so that the out riggers can be bolted to the transaxle mounts.
IMG_5390.JPG

Shortened up the out riggers by 22 mm as can be seen from the next three pics. I also removed some of the rough edges from the factory stampings.
IMG_5391.JPG

IMG_5392.JPG
IMG_5393.JPG

Out riggers and dummy transaxle in place.
IMG_5394.JPG

Need to weld the bracing as I removed those welds when I shortened out riggers as can be seen in the 2nd pic.

Next test is to mount the out riggers onto the NG3 transaxle and sit it in place.

A bit more progress this week.

Drilled the holes so that the out riggers can be bolted to the transaxle mounts.
View attachment 213128

Shortened up the out riggers by 22 mm as can be seen from the next three pics. I also removed some of the rough edges from the factory stampings.
View attachment 213133
View attachment 213129View attachment 213130

Out riggers and dummy transaxle in place.
View attachment 213131

Need to weld the bracing as I removed those welds when I shortened out riggers as can be seen in the 2nd pic.

Next test is to mount the out riggers onto the NG3 transaxle and sit it in place.
Nice quality Australian Oak there. I've seen Parker furniture with sections like that.

Nice quality Australian Oak there. I've seen Parker furniture with sections like that.
I think it was off cuts/left overs from fitting out an old peoples home, when I was employed there about 15 years ago.

The pieces were plucked from the skip because I knew they would come in handy one day for such a project. (I think Greenpeace would approve) :unsure:

I think it was off cuts/left overs from fitting out an old peoples home, when I was employed there about 15 years ago.

The pieces were plucked from the skip because I knew they would come in handy one day for such a project. (I think Greenpeace would approve) :unsure:
NEVER throw that sort of timber away. :)

Didn't notice the first time around, but how are you going to deal with the NG 'box outdrive/d'shaft problem?
I have been giving that a bit of thought, I have a few options.

I can replace the NG out drives and sealing system with those from a 352 transaxle or shorten the drive shafts.

I will most likely go shorten the driveshaft route, no doubt it won't be cheap.

Decided to have a trial fit of the NG3 Transaxke today and all lined up perfectly.

Left side outrigger and mount
IMG_5422.JPG

Right side out rigger and mount
IMG_5423.JPG

Looking from the front at the bell housing
IMG_5424.JPG

The rear of the NG3 Transaxle
IMG_5426.JPG

Anothe pic showing how much the rear protrudes past the hump
IMG_5427.JPG

looking down on top
IMG_5429.JPG

Now the next part of the 5 speed conversion with an NG3 Transaxle is to work out how to fit the gear lever and linkages. I have already done a bit of work on the linkages, will post some pics of those later.

It looks like I will have to cut out some more body work and fabricate a system similar to what is in the R18 and Fuego. I originally was going to fit a 395 Transaxle but decided the NG3 would be a better way to go.

Hi Col, your last photo reminded me of the issues I was having registering an R12
with R17 TL mechanicals way back in the 70's.
The clincher that the bodyshell was designed and indeed used for this was the dip
in the crossmember flange to clear the camshaft pulley of a 16/17 engine.

Hi Col, your last photo reminded me of the issues I was having registering an R12
The clincher that the bodyshell was designed and indeed used for this was the dip
Very "Renault". Take every opportunity to use things from the parts bin, either with contemporary or future model options.

Decided to have a trial fit of the NG3 Transaxke today and all lined up perfectly.

Left side outrigger and mount
View attachment 214012

Right side out rigger and mount
View attachment 214013

Looking from the front at the bell housing
View attachment 214014

The rear of the NG3 Transaxle
View attachment 214015

Anothe pic showing how much the rear protrudes past the hump
View attachment 214016

looking down on top
View attachment 214017

Now the next part of the 5 speed conversion with an NG3 Transaxle is to work out how to fit the gear lever and linkages. I have already done a bit of work on the linkages, will post some pics of those later.

It looks like I will have to cut out some more body work and fabricate a system similar to what is in the R18 and Fuego. I originally was going to fit a 395 Transaxle but decided the NG3 would be a better way to go.
Great photos thanks. Someone will be very pleased to use these in the future. We don't know who "posterity" is of course. :)

It does remind me how good our two R12 1.4 wagons were.

Hi Steve

I don't think the R16 cam pulley fits but the R17 cam pulley does.