Col's Renault R12 Wagon restoration

Yours being an early body shell Col it has the straight forward edge of upper crossmember near bellhousing,wheresas after I think mid 74 that crossmember had a recess back,made it a bit easier to get cogbox in and out…jim

Reactions: COL
Great photos thanks. Someone will be very pleased to use these in the future. We don't know who "posterity" is of course. :)

It does remind me how good our two R12 1.4 wagons were.
Yeah, I know. It'll be me!

Reactions: COL
Have been doing a little more to the R12 Wagon.

Decided to make sure everything in the drive line was going to line up central so put in a block that I have laying around. I noticed that the drive line was not straight with the centre line of the car so to fix the issue I slotted the mounting holes to make things a little adjustable.

Results shown below.

IMG_5546.JPG
IMG_5547.JPG
IMG_5545.JPG

The drive line sitting nice and square in the engine bay.
IMG_5548.JPG

Have been giving some thought to how i'm going to make the gear selection linkage work. This is a Fuego linkage which is from the same car as the NG3 transaxle. The pics below show what i have come up with to move across the gates. To actually select the gears I will be using the Fuego rod with rod ends attached.

I'm going to have to cut out the floor and fabricate a hump to cover the selector rods and mount the gear stick and then fill the hump at the rear of the transaxle.
IMG_5542.JPG

IMG_5543.JPG

IMG_5544.JPG

If you want to save yourself the cutting and welding, I think there is another way of doing the linkages. You can move the gear stick joint at floor level (in line with the 'box control input) and use a yoke to transmit rotation to the box input. For/aft movements implemented normally. The yoke can run under the car, of course.

This would allow you to keep the floor as is and just make up a hump for the back of the g'box.

Not sure how reverse is selected on the NG snd if it would work with this arangement though.

If you want to save yourself the cutting and welding, I think there is another way of doing the linkages. You can move the gear stick joint at floor level (in line with the 'box control input) and use a yoke to transmit rotation to the box input. For/aft movements implemented normally. The yoke can run under the car, of course.

This would allow you to keep the floor as is and just make up a hump for the back of the g'box.

Not sure how reverse is selected on the NG snd if it would work with this arangement though.
That is how the 395 transaxles work, this is an NG3. The R18 and Fuego has a hump that the gear lever is mounted on.

The gates are defined by springs with varying stiffness in the NG series transaxles.

That is not what I meant.

The 395 (and all other FWD 3-series) have two controls, the twist rod out the back and the push/pull rod out the side. Something like that.

The NG I think (from faint memory) only has the little shaft that sticks out the back. I think it twists to move the selector finger left to right and pushes/pulls to select. Not sure how reverse is selected but has to be the same, maybe just further to the side or something? Stick left and down? Is that right?

Yeap, I totally misremembered both but I was more confident about the NG3 than the 395. Well, that's memory for you.

I see now it would be difficult to come up with a linkage contraption for the NG inputs and keep it under the floor of the R12.

I would take it as a challenge.

Some more progress today. Decided to weld some of the holes in the floor today.

This is a large hole next to the left rear wheel arch that usually has a disc glued over it.
IMG_5626.JPG

This is the large hole on the right rear wheel arch with the disc welded in.
IMG_5628.JPG

These three holes are under the rear seat. The left hole is for the return spring for the hand brake. The middle hole looks like it has been punched in for some reason. The right hole has a rubber bung inserted.
IMG_5630.JPG

The middle hole and the right hole have been welded up. I will make a bracket up for the hand brake return spring and plug weld it in position.
IMG_5633.JPG

Right rear foot well will all the small holes welded and a disc prepared for welding in the large hole
IMG_5631.JPG

Today's efforts

Welded in disc in right rear foot well
IMG_5640.JPG

Welded in disc in right front foot well and also welded up the holes as well. Dressing up the welds for the disc was a bit of a challenge. The disc is a bit more recessed than the last two. Have been using worn out 100 mm grinding wheels to dress the welds.
IMG_5641.JPG

Welded up the holes along the sill where the stainless steel trim was originally fitted.
IMG_5642.JPG

Fabricated up a bracket for the hand brake return spring, I can see this being a challenge to hold in place while it is welded in.
IMG_5643.JPG

That is the right side done, now for the left side.

Col, need another R12 wagon?
spotted this on the 4CV register fb, if interested reckon @JohnW can get you more details.
cheers

View attachment 233975
I had a Virage the same colours as that in the mid 2000's that I dragged from a paddock next to a service station not to far from me. Looks like it is suffering from the same FeO2 problems that killed of my Virage. I had that Virage for about 5 years before the FeO2 got the better of it.

spotted this on the 4CV register fb, if interested reckon @JohnW can get you more details.
cheers

View attachment 233975
Better to go straight to the person who posted it on FB I'd suggest. I see the double panel above the rear wheel arch has gone from the inside.... Definitely a parts car, but the trim and some doors are quite good, for example and it has those late wheel trims. And it has the tinted glass. Worth getting hold of if you could move it cheaply and had somewhere to put it. Mechanicals would be a bonus although in quite a few years of Virage and 1.4 R12 ownership, we never NEEDED mechanical parts. Great cars, R12 wagons, especially the late ones like this.

cheers

View attachment 233975
Better to go straight to the person who posted it on FB I'd suggest. I see the double panel above the rear wheel arch has gone from the inside.... Definitely a parts car, but the trim and some doors are quite good, for example and it has those late wheel trims. And it has the tinted glass. Worth getting hold of if you could move it cheaply and had somewhere to put it. Mechanicals would be a bonus although in quite a few years of Virage and 1.4 R12 ownership, we never NEEDED mechanical parts. Great cars, R12 wagons, especially the late ones like this.
There are some useful parts on that Virage. I have pretty much all the parts that i need for my restoration, they are in the shed somewhere, as long as don't throw anything out, give away or sell I should be good for parts.

I could use some of the bits for my Virage wagon, but I'm not travelling 900km each way for them!