Col's Renault R12 Wagon restoration

Very slowly, not much done in the past 12 months. Work keeps on inter-fearing, can't wait for retirement :)
Be careful Col, in my experience retirement eats up spare time even if you plan for it, you never have any time to spare let alone work on projects. Older age of course has its own limitations too, but enjoy it...

Ken

Be careful Col, in my experience retirement eats up spare time even if you plan for it, you never have any time to spare let alone work on projects. Older age of course has its own limitations too, but enjoy it...

Ken
I have had the same experience Col. I had a heap of cars to restore. So far 15 years I've managed one completely and just keeping up with my other cars is work as well. I have a SWMBO to take notice of and that means constant work as she wants me to move the furniture, hangs new pictures and then wants to put it all back where it was. So it goes, visit family etc etc. Just no time for restoration. Of course half hour or more morning and afternoon tea breaks don't help with the time management either.

Ken
I have had the same experience Col. I had a heap of cars to restore. So far 15 years I've managed one completely and just keeping up with my other cars is work as well. I have a SWMBO to take notice of and that means constant work as she wants me to move the furniture, hangs new pictures and then wants to put it all back where it was. So it goes, visit family etc etc. Just no time for restoration. Of course half hour or more morning and afternoon tea breaks don't help with the time management either.
Isn't this what retirement is all about taking life slowly and enjoying what you do without the dead lines of a paying boss.

I'm semi retired at present only working 3 days a week, so should be able to achieve more than I am at present. I have other hobbies as well so they take time also.

This needs a rear axle from a Dacia 4x4, an Impreza transmission and a Clio Sport engine. You know you want to.

Reactions: COL
Although... I was at pickapart in Melbourne a few weeks ago and there was a Clio IV 3 cylinder - this is probably the funnest engine Renault ever made. And its super small and light, really characterful and will make the 12 more balanced.

900cc turbo 3 pot and 90 horsepower.

Ken
Ken,
as you say, "Spare time".
What spare time?
Intending to get to the projects is a start.
If your in the country it is firewood to keep warm and fences.
Then from time to time you have a repair on the cars, tractors or around the house.
Health issues and fatigue impact .

It can do you head in .
Some solve the problem by simply drinking and getting nothing done and the situation spirals downward.

A good start is a more or less clear work space.
.... but then i have to work on the car i am clearing out of the way , so i can work on what i really want to work on.
Familiar to people?

Although... I was at pickapart in Melbourne a few weeks ago and there was a Clio IV 3 cylinder - this is probably the funnest engine Renault ever made. And its super small and light, really characterful and will make the 12 more balanced.

900cc turbo 3 pot and 90 horsepower.
When my wife was looking for a new car about 6 or 7 years ago we took a three cylinder Captur for a drive. It was an auto and it had way more than adequate performance for Brisbane traffic.
She ended up buying a turbo 1.6, 6 speed manual Juke instead. Same platform if I remember correctly?

When my wife was looking for a new car about 6 or 7 years ago we took a three cylinder Captur for a drive. It was an auto and it had way more than adequate performance for Brisbane traffic.
She ended up buying a turbo 1.6, 6 speed manual Juke instead. Same platform if I remember correctly?

The auto is the 4 cylinder, the 3 pot is only ever found with a manual.

Same basic engine, apart from the 4 being direct injection and 3 port.

Juke I think is more Megane platform? Dunno... That Juke engine you have though is what's in the Clio IV Sport and in the Megane IV GT. Which would fit in an R12 engine bay.... Hmmm :)

The auto is the 4 cylinder, the 3 pot is only ever found with a manual.
She was looking at buying the 3 cylinder manual as she likes manual transmissions.
They only had an auto car in stock to test drive, so it must have been the 4 cylinder then.🤷‍♂️
I was completely switched off by this stage as the salesman was an absolute d#ckhead, but my wife insisted on having a test drive.

I see some ads for various things and say to people,
"The ad would never sell a Citroen!"
In fact many salesmen could not sell a Citroen or anything else.

The situation baffles me when i see this.
A Citroen dealer in Canberra, Fyshwick had "Cow-boys" a few years back, so out of place when you are selling prestige cars.

I see some ads for various things and say to people,
"The ad would never sell a Citroen!"
In fact many salesmen could not sell a Citroen or anything else.

The situation baffles me when i see this.
A Citroen dealer in Canberra, Fyshwick had "Cow-boys" a few years back, so out of place when you are selling prestige cars.
Although to be fair (and it pains me to say this...) the lass at the Reno dealer in Woden in 2016 did manage to undercut the best quote I got in Melbourne for the Clio IV I bought new. 15K driveway brand new... Sigh, pre pandemic pricing - remember that?

Although to be fair (and it pains me to say this...) the lass at the Reno dealer in Woden in 2016 did manage to undercut the best quote I got in Melbourne for the Clio IV I bought new. 15K driveway brand new... Sigh, pre pandemic pricing - remember that?
15K is remarkable.
Great deal.

Juke I think is more Megane platform?
Old model Juke and Captur both shared the Nissan B platform. The new ones share the CMF B platform.

Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi-Alliance-Renault-Captur-Nissan-Juke.jpg

Yes the Clios were good value, I was nudging my wife towards them as they were about $6 or $7K cheaper than the base model Captur. SWMABO isn't easily nudged, she dug her heels in and insisted on an SUV.🙄