Clint and John R8 Bridgetown !!!

Thanks John, you too are a great Renault enthusiast! Yes I am looking for windscreen wipers and trim which includes logo to fit front panel. I think ??? we have everything else we need.

Hi Clint,

When you say 'wipers', what exactly are you missing? I gave my spare arms away to help another project a couple of years ago but there are others with stashes.

The front trim is a bar and a badge - I think they are available new and rare as hen's teeth secondhand. I'll check a box today as I just might have a second spare badge.

Hi John, I need wiper arms and holders. I know you can buy them new too but trying to keep costs to a minimum.

Hi Peter, the box is a cover for the alternator. As we are running 16ts in both our cars we have decided to stay with standard alternators on both. The reason is we have plenty of spares for everything. The bodyshell is looking pretty tidy now all in primer after a lot of hard work. Thanks for your positive comments.

Hi Peter, the box is a cover for the alternator. As we are running 16ts in both our cars we have decided to stay with standard alternators on both. The reason is we have plenty of spares for everything. The bodyshell is looking pretty tidy now all in primer after a lot of hard work. Thanks for your positive comments.

Now THAT I did not think of!! I've fitted a central brake light - one would mount nicely on the box.

Well They have been "Busy as Beavers" in Bridgetown with being in Isolation. Clint has trouble with the computer at the moment and sent me pictures today of the progress.

IMG_1473.jpg
IMG_1477.jpg
IMG_1495.jpg
IMG_1498.jpg
IMG_1500.jpg
IMG_1501.jpg
IMG_1520.jpg
IMG_1521.jpg

Wheels had just come back from bead blast, so some detailing to be done there.

Ray

Hello fellow Froggers, I have an update on our R8 project as I have finally found where my resized pictures went!!!
I have decided on a colour... silver grey. It is almost exactly like grey primer but shiny. I'm going for this colour as I'm wanting
dark tinted windows, black/polished Cosmics and black,chrome,polished bits to bounce! It is getting exciting putting bits back on
as the weather isn't friendly for body work at the moment.
!cid_535.jpg
!cid_223.jpg
!cid_197.jpg
!cid_243.jpg
!cid_957.jpg
!cid_108.jpg

Hi everyone, hope all is well. I have a brief update on the R8. 16 radiator is mounted up front and Dad has done an awesome job of pipe work.
All the cables and brake/fuel lines, battery cable etc have been refurbished, cleaned, painted and installed. Steering rack and upper wishbones
are in. The car is right side up again and starting on bodywork. I am cleaning, painting, detailing engine at the moment. Gearbox casings have
been cleaned and Ray is working on bits for the big box conversion. Won't be a show car but we are very happy with progress.
!cid_325.jpg
!cid_631.jpg

Looks really professional, very tidy job. I like the very tidy route for the water pipes to the front. Only observation there is that the pipes go under the crossmember on the front. That would scrape the road on most Aussi roads and you would not want to use too much kerb on a race track unless you run a very high ride height.

Thanks Bustamif, the car will be as low as possible. The radiator and pipes are all under the lowest point between the car and the road which is the two floorpan crossmembers so it will be ok.

I would agree with Bustamif, it is a low point.
I was able to re-route the pipes up to pass through the steering box support and it clears everything and gives you peace of mind. I ran the pipes through the RHS cavity to give enough clearance to the gear selector - but it looks like you have allowed enough for all clearances.
photo56A.jpg

If you take a good look at the steel surface of the crossmember you are likely to see lots of scratches and gouges from various attacks from the road surface.
I guess if you want to use the water pipes as a protective cushion to protect the underside of the crossmember, that's fine. Just sayin.

Gentlemen,
If you are scraping the cross member you have ground off all the bolts holding the front suspension to the cross member !!!!

Yep, but only occasionally and not enough to grind the heads off the bolts. The centre of the car is more prone to occasional contact with undulations than the inner pivot points. Depends on what you intend to use it for I guess.

The front undertray leading to the rear diffuser probably helps protect stuff under my car.

TRI5B52.jpg

The lowest point on my R8 1600/A110 is under the gearbox as shown above. The gearbox is protected by an aluminium and titanium skid plate concealed by the rear diffuser. The centre of the diffuser has some small vents to allow some gearbox cooling.
My water hoses are on top of the crossmember, similar to R8Dream and most others with a front radiator system.
Sounds over the top but the titanium was offcuts from an Americas Cup Yacht project, bits donated to me by Iain Murray.
I just have some risk aversion to vulnerable pipes, hoses, oil water, fuel, brakes or electric bits exposed under the chassis.

Great photos - and so much work.

I have this vague memory of Frans using HDPE pipes - black poly in common terms.

Bustamif - fancy getting titanium pipes donated. Wow. That's special.

John the water pipes are actually aluminium, light fragile and transfers a lot of heat out of the system. The titanium is the material for the skid plate protecting the gearbox. Same stuff F1 used to use for their skid plates and it gives off great sparks.
They had offcuts in odd shapes from various braces and brackets. I still have a few bits which I find uses for such as mounts for brake reservoir bottles etc.
Back to the original topic now, cheers.