Clint and John R8 Bridgetown !!!

Hi guys, been a while since an update. Got a few more goodies, ducted backing plates for front brakes...thanks Dave. Recovered steering wheel...thanks Ray, and lots of great bodywork....thanks Dad!

With pictures....
2.jpg
r.jpg
r7.jpg
r13.jpg
r10.jpg

Coming on beautifully!! Thanks for posting.

You've re-covered the dashboard top moulding? Looks very good.

Those later-type tie rods are a huge improvement!

Thanks John. the recovered dash top came with the car, R12 speedo and tacho set into Skoda 120 chrome/metal bezels. The original ones were chrome/plastic. They are mounted in a custom made plate to fit into the original dash to give a neat, clean simple look.

Thanks John. the recovered dash top came with the car, R12 speedo and tacho set into Skoda 120 chrome/metal bezels. The original ones were chrome/plastic. They are mounted in a custom made plate to fit into the original dash to give a neat, clean simple look.
Complete success I'd say. :) They are a good fit. I've bought a GPS speedo that mounts above the dash and it is a huge improvement, giving knowledge of the actual speed - a radical idea with the R8. The orginal speedo overreads, wobbles, is in mph and not the easiest to read at a glance - OK otherwise.......

Ray's good at steering wheels, isn't he! Very neat job.

Digital speedo 11 Nov 2020 sml.jpg

Last edited:
Sunny days really ended the Hibernation ......
All primed and ready for the "Party Cloths". Nice work, keep it coming.

Those wheels look good in bare alloy, I know a lot of people paint them, usually black, but I feel they look great as they are.

Ray may have a better opinion on this but it looks to me like the bump stops may need a little trim considering the wheel is on droop and the springs seem to be of the slightly lower variety

Great work....the car looks fantastic as do the dash and steering wheel! And I also run a GPS speedo in the A110 - but the "real" speedo isn't massively off.....the GPS is a whole lot easier to read tho!

Ray may have a better opinion on this but it looks to me like the bump stops may need a little trim considering the wheel is on droop and the springs seem to be of the slightly lower variety
When all together and running, John and I will go over it for ride stance, and suspension movement.

Although I remember on my Dauphine when this started with me, I would corner partially on the rubber stop, better than heavy anti roll bar.

Ray

So nice to go through the pictures and see the progress.

Ray

I am so excited to see this classic car in a complete piece. The progress of this build looks amazing.

Hi everyone, update on the R8...
Ray came down for a week's getaway at Christmas and the big four speed box came together nicely...
Then, on the 6th of Feb a big fire threatened Hester and our workshop, picture shown is our street with workshop on the right! We are very lucky to still have the R8 and the rest of our collection. A couple of weeks later it was back to business as usual. The engine and box are now assembled and ready to go in.
Final coats of paint are being done this week, will be sooo good to see it going back together!
r18.jpg
1 John's place is to the right.jpg
r14.jpg
r15.jpg

Bloody Smart work, got a picture on my phone this afternoon of motor and gearbox assy, just very nice to see.

Those FLAMES scare the SH*T out of me to think how close it was, I walk in all of that area and can imagine what it looks like now, VERY LUCKY indeed. God must be a Renault and Skoda man.......

The correct tie rod ends have now arrived, so final assembly of front end can now be done.

Ray

Wow, that fire was close, great to see you dodged that one. A land of contrasts, here in NSW the PM was at the end of our street a couple of weeks ago, on the 7 news checking a big shed, the top barely visible above usual flood water for our area.

Some pics of the solution to the alternator access and plumbing under the rear window/parcel shelf of the R8 would be interesting. Considering the high standard of work and design on this project, the alt and water pump detail will be a great piece of info for anyone planning such an upgrade.

Yes, very scary! Everyone has always thought the threat would be from the north. As to alternator, the is a removable box on the parcel shelf for access and with the fuel tank removed (alloy tank in the front of the car) there is room to access everything else. For 30 years my Dad has been battling water pumps (including broken bolt extraction!), alternator and radiator issues on the 4cv with 16ts. A few years ago he did an engine rebuild and new radiator/electric fan, when putting it back together I asked him why he hadn't cut a hole in the back firewall/shell for access.... he has now!
r19.jpg

Ah, fuel tank in the front makes for easy access to the rear plumbing and alternator. Would be a challenge to get that approved for rego in NSW.

Thanks for the compliments on the build Bustamif, should be alright as it will be a proper fuel cell and R8 Gordini and Alpines have fuel tank and battery up front...

Complete success I'd say. :) They are a good fit. I've bought a GPS speedo that mounts above the dash and it is a huge improvement, giving knowledge of the actual speed - a radical idea with the R8. The orginal speedo overreads, wobbles, is in mph and not the easiest to read at a glance - OK otherwise.......

Ray's good at steering wheels, isn't he! Very neat job.

View attachment 136371
Johnno.
Ray restored a Mota Lita wheel for my 504 some time back. Magic job. I didn't let the wheel go when I parted with my 504.
It's now an ornament on my model show case. Waiting for my next Peugeot I reckon !