Clint and John R8 Bridgetown !!!

geckoeng

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
The start of the RR8ted Project

I thought we had started a thread in “Projects” about this build, but after much searching on AF I found nought.
This is the project by Clint and his dad John van Halteren in Bridgetown. John has the 4CV/16TS in Renault/4CV.
The car was a rolling chassis when it arrived in Bridgetown, and they started putting a parts collection together to do a build on it. Clint wants a nice R8 with 16TS and big 4 speed. Nice wheels and tyres. A “good feel” car.

EM0026 test.jpg
EM0027 test.jpg
EM0028 test.jpg
EM0029 test.jpg
EM0025 test.jpg

Ray

I visited Bridgetown this weekend. Mainly to give John his 70[SUP]th[/SUP] birthday present, but also to see the progress of the R8, and talk Renault motor cars. They have made fantastic progress with the body. Filling the few rust holes in the floor and getting the boot floor repaired. Straitening fenders and exposing bad accident repairs. The externals are getting to be real straight now. John is very good at his bodywork. His fitting of front arches is very nice and will give the car a good look.

DSCN0056.JPG
DSCN0057.JPG
DSCN0058.JPG
DSCN0059.JPG
DSCN0060.JPG
DSCN0061.JPG

Ray

Those wheel arches are very well done, they look wide enough to cover some big wheels but they are not too obvious because they follow the body profile like they were done at the factory.

Interesting photos of the yard with the Caravelle casually stored on the top a shipping container.

If I didn't know better I'd say there's something that looks like a Skoda S100? in the shed/workshop. Or maybe another Caravelle/Floride? The tail lights don't seem right for these though.

And there's something in the same picture that looks like a white Alpine?

Nice R8 by the way. So the first batch of pictures were taken after the last or before?

Busta.....

It is a nice place to go and be with a person so into classic cars, as he has Alfa's and Simcas and Skodas, and he likes bikes Ducati and Motoguzi. A huge Classic Renault fan, and he has had a lot......

Ray

If I didn't know better I'd say there's something that looks like a Skoda S100? in the shed/workshop. Or maybe another Caravelle/Floride? The tail lights don't seem right for these though.

And there's something in the same picture that looks like a white Alpine?

Nice R8 by the way. So the first batch of pictures were taken after the last or before?

Hi Schlitzy...
The second pictures were taken after the first. I am trying to keep a timeline.

The only car in the background is
http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/renault-forum/109200-4cv-fans-19.html
Post #471

Ray

Busta.....

It is a nice place to go and be with a person so into classic cars, as he has Alfa's and Simcas and Skodas, and he likes bikes Ducati and Motoguzi. A huge Classic Renault fan, and he has had a lot......

Ray

That white Alpine-looking like car wouldn't be a 1200S?

And in the same picture, the red car wouldn't be a Moskvitch? Because if it is I've got to meet this bloke virus and all.

Busta.....

Ray

So the red car in the same picture is another 100S.

What is the white one?

Thanks for starting the thread Ray, I'm not so computer savvy. Anyways what does one do when he aquires a set of Mk2 Cosmics?
He finds a car to put them on which has turned into what I call the not a Gordini replicar project. Upon getting the R8 home we found the body to be quite reasonable so things got under way. Dad fitted up the 16ts which has R8 Gordni intake manifold and extractors on the standard box while we build a big 4 speed. The doors were all lined up and then those flares...An Alfa 90 in the yard became a donor and the result is fantastic! The back guards have been pumped out about 25mm as well.
Then it was time to strip the car to a bare shell. We are taking it back to bare metal and although there has been the usual rust repairs we are still very happy with the body.
As Ray said my Dad is one of the greatest car and motorcycle enthusiasts around and it is great we have this project together.
In the background is a 4cv, Skoda Octavia, Skoda 110, Alfa GTV amongst others.
Also a big thankyou Ray for all of your help, service and encouragement.
Clint

I visited Bridgetown this weekend. Mainly to give John his 70[SUP]th[/SUP] birthday present, but also to see the progress of the R8, and talk Renault motor cars. They have made fantastic progress with the body. Filling the few rust holes in the floor and getting the boot floor repaired. Straitening fenders and exposing bad accident repairs. The externals are getting to be real straight now. John is very good at his bodywork. His fitting of front arches is very nice and will give the car a good look.

View attachment 119432
View attachment 119433
View attachment 119434
View attachment 119435
View attachment 119436
View attachment 119437

Ray

John deserves lots of praise for his good work! Thanks for posting.

Looking forward to the progress. Thanks for the thread Ray. Good luck Clint and John with the R8 rebuild. Another RER in WA!

Sent from my Moto G Play using aussiefrogs mobile app

More to the point, an R8.... How many are on the road in WA? Currently two, one on concessional licensing and one fully licensed, and a few Gordinis, also on concessional licenses.

We're home safely and not infected as far as I can tell, btw.

Thanks for starting the thread Ray, I'm not so computer savvy. Anyways what does one do when he aquires a set of Mk2 Cosmics?
He finds a car to put them on which has turned into what I call the not a Gordini replicar project. Upon getting the R8 home we found the body to be quite reasonable so things got under way. Dad fitted up the 16ts which has R8 Gordni intake manifold and extractors on the standard box while we build a big 4 speed. The doors were all lined up and then those flares...An Alfa 90 in the yard became a donor and the result is fantastic! The back guards have been pumped out about 25mm as well.
Then it was time to strip the car to a bare shell. We are taking it back to bare metal and although there has been the usual rust repairs we are still very happy with the body.
As Ray said my Dad is one of the greatest car and motorcycle enthusiasts around and it is great we have this project together.
Clint

Great stuff Clint. Hope the Alfa steel has been well rust-proofed!! :)

[...]

Clint

Octavia?! Wow, that's a flashback. Is that the white one in the back of the garage? Because to me it looks more like a 1000MB (if we're talking Skodas).

Octavia :

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/K1106X/light-blue-skoda-octavia-old-car-K1106X.jpg

1000MB:

https://cdn.motor1.com/images/mgl/9Ar1p/s3/55-jahre-skoda-1000-mb.jpg

Last edited:
Yes there is a 1000mb...moving along we are here to talk Renaults. The Floride on the container had the very last bits stripped off it and is now destined to rust in peace! The 12 is still in the yard John.
Thea Alfa/rust thing is always a running joke in our shed and yes they are well and trully rust proofed!
Thanks for all the positive comments.
Clint

Yes there is a 1000mb...moving along we are here to talk Renaults. The Floride on the container had the very last bits stripped off it and is now destined to rust in peace! The 12 is still in the yard John.
Thea Alfa/rust thing is always a running joke in our shed and yes they are well and trully rust proofed!
Thanks for all the positive comments. Clint

Keep safe down there Clint. Don't forget to shout if there's something odd you find you need, in case I have one!