Car ID

It was a tumultuous end to 2017 in our country (politically), but thing are quietening down a bit. I'm glad to have made to this new year where hopefully, the restoration will be completed. In my absence I encountered and overcame a number of challenges, the biggest being a seizing Brake booster. New units were out of stock so I had to settle for a second hand one that has served well so far. I also encountered a worm clutch disc and replaced it together with the pressure plate. The fork was also torn through. Replaced that as well. I also replaced the brake slave cylinder, clutch cylinder at the fork and front brake pads (had been eaten by the seizing of brake booster). I also got a pair of new headlights, fixed the leaky plenum, a chattery exhaust, and reverse light switch at the gearbox

Sent from my Infinix-X600-LTE using aussiefrogs mobile app

I've also managed to flush out oil twice (service without changing the plugs) to clean up the gooey oil I had as a result of blown head gasket, and consequent machined/refaced cylinder head

Good to hear - the car won't know itself. Having lived in Malindi, we followed the Kenyan election(s) closely. Good if things quieten down!!

Cheers

More progress, or anti? Well, had found it that the shuddering motor has a crankshaft vs block issue. Motor came off and the problem was at the thrust seal/ washers. Some block and some crankshaft had been interacting for a bit too long. Had to have them no h machines, and replace the thrust washers. While at it, I decided that the block should get a touch of fresh paint. Ill also have to have the timing cover replaced due to a small leak. Ill also have to lay a weld on the gearbox cork. It won't open otherwise. I will post pictures tomorrow.

1516971560729.jpg1516971585299.jpg1516971598541.jpg1516971618549.jpg
d975b638557b4c649960ef4c2dab1025.jpg

Here I was thinking everything was going smoothly until.......... Disappointment. The engine was reassembled today and mounted. The fellow who polished the camshaft had advised I go for standard bearings. I was non the wiser so I got new sets of both main and con bearings. Apparently, polishing does take some material off(blonde moment). The ruckus that the started motor produced was immense. So, we had to dismount and discovered so much play at the cons that you can work the motion by hand. I have to start all over again with grinding the crank and getting them measured to buy yet another set of bearing.........so frustrating. Not much for of a choice though sadly

I wonder if the crank has been reground previously, and it already had undersized bearings? This would mean that buying standard bearings would make them sloppy.

Did the old bearing shells have any markings on them?

Never risk it. Always measure.

That is a bummer! Amazing how a couple of thou is so important...

When we tightened the crank there was zero play. After the noises and subsequent dismantling, you could rattle them by hand..........its micro millimetres of difference
When we tightened the crank there was zero play. After the noises and subsequent dismantling, you could rattle them by hand..........its micro millimetres of difference

Guy who ground the shaft apparently made a mistake. He measured the crank today and found the measurement to be 1.25. After ransacking parts shops all over the city,we finally got a set of these bearings and refastened the engine. Tomorrow, hopefully, the crew will start the car and finish up with tuning

Hello folks. Took receipt of the car. So far so smooth ......until yesterday. Finally had to get the windscreen replaced as it's rainy season down here and a combination of rain and headlights on an old windscreen is like trying to see through translucent decking. Anyway, that was done. My old alternator also acted up and that was duly replaced by a wreckers yard Mercedes - issue Bosch alternator with slight mounting modification. Now I have a leakage in the plenum....AGAIN. I must be married to this thing. I can't catch a break. Anyone with a permanent solution to this never ending plenum saga?

Hello fellow froggers. I was wondering whatever happened to this account. Finally managed to come round to reactivation. I hope everyone who contributed to this thread is well. Its been quite a while and in that time a LOT has happened....including body work and some modifications to the engine due to lack of original parts in these neck of the woods.
I managed to
1. Install 2 litre pistons and cylinders to give the car an extra kick
2. full body work although it seems I will have to do it all over again due to rust issues
3. Engine conversion to EFI system
4. Full interior re work with a bit of creativity.

The car does look glorious but I am still getting used to the new fuel delivery and spark systems

FEELS GOOD TO BE BACK

A very dear friend of mine has been experimenting with EFI conversion of standard Peugeot 504 engines and he's pulled it off. I am experimenting with my unit and in a world where original spare parts are becoming extinct, its a welcome innovation. Basically entails eliminating the carburettor and installing an intake manifold, changing cylinder head and intake manifold to the branched version, and installing a fuel delivery system and coil on plugs. There is also a customized ECU which controls everything. Quite nifty and worth the peace of mind

Hello guys. Small update. This is the set up on EFI. Sincere apologies to the purists but scarcity of NEW and ORIGINAL parts led to this survival tactic. This forum doesn't accomodate videos above 10MB. Would have been easier to explain. Anyway, I am fielding questions

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-03-18 at 6.34.02 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-03-18 at 6.34.02 PM.jpeg
    58 KB · Views: 40
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-03-18 at 6.34.03 PM (2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-03-18 at 6.34.03 PM (2).jpeg
    65.3 KB · Views: 40
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-03-18 at 6.34.03 PM (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-03-18 at 6.34.03 PM (1).jpeg
    68.6 KB · Views: 37
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-03-18 at 6.34.03 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-03-18 at 6.34.03 PM.jpeg