C5 Aisin Warner 6 speed automatic

Shop around if you need a VB, I recently bought one overseas for an AW55-50SN at less than 1/3 quoted trade price and it arrived from the UK in four days.

A read of Sonnax repair products listed for any given transmission, is often a good clue as to what goes wrong in many instances.

Mine has done 204,000 km and the valvebody was exchanged at 192,000 from memory after a gearbox oil change at 190,000. She's been running like a charm, gear changes have been very, very smooth since the replacement.

Good to hear that. Was the vb change brought on by the oil change ?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Citroen's are very sneaky. I would suspect it's just pretending to be fixed before throwing the timing belt or something equally expensive :)
Believe me all cars are sneaky B@st@rd's, spawn of the Devil.....Things always go wrong/strip a thread, you check a part for wear (as per the factory manual) and are looking at worse than the worse case and then the muffler burns out because you change the wiper blades.
:cheers: Brendan.

If I only work when "in the zone" such mishaps are rare. But staying in that mental state all day, every day, is impossible!

Anyhow... A quick surf showed a UK vendor I've used before for valvebodies, offering them at £520 with VAT, brand new.

An informed phone call (ie; know your lingo and don't be a plonker) gets the tax knocked off, last one was £55 extra UPS'd to my door. So you could potentially have an OEM sourced TF80-SC valvebody for just under $900 on your doorstep. Of course, you have bugger-all usable warranty on such an item; it comes down to you either being confident with a vendor, or not.

try A & B transmissions in Melbourne( Dandenong) they do the repairs for Peugeot Australia always found them top rate
Cheers

Don't use stop slip or any additive because it's full of zinc to try to soften the seals but it really turns them rubber o ring s to jelly that's an old thing invented before the 80s and hasn't changed much

thanks. i tried getting a valve body rebuild but did not work. this is a great video showing a similar model box being dismantled. a common theme he repeats is that there's often more wrong than the valve body. keep this in mind when considering between a valve body and complete rebuild.

Given my aviation experience and the fact that oil in a/c hydraulic systems was regarly changed I would so that changing oil in a modern transmission should go a long way to prolong its life given this is why we change engine oils both deteriate and im sure as someone pointed out that ford product was same as peugeot maybe we need a sticky to highlight replacements to OEM

Last edited:
Given my aviation experience and the fact that oil in a/c hydraulic systems was regularly changed I would say that changing oil in a modern transmission should go a long way to prolong its life given this is why we change engine oils, both deteriorate and I'm sure as someone pointed out that ford product was same as Peugeot maybe we need a sticky to highlight replacements to OEM

Don't use stop slip or any additive because it's full of zinc to try to soften the seals but it really turns them rubber o ring s to jelly that's an old thing invented before the 80s and hasn't changed much

Post is a bit old for reply, but for what it's worth here goes. There are no rubber O rings or seals, they're made of a whole lot of different man made compounds, most of which actually respond quite well to Lucas products. Have used Lucas for many years and wouldn't consider anything else because in my book there isn't anything else. It really works well, stops the piston and accumulator seals from hardening, keeps those damn electro valves nicely coated with slippery stuff and usually you find the trans running much cooler. It's the piss poor transmission oil which does the damage in the long run.

I read these posts and continue to wonder why so many folk buy automatics.

No doubt there is a good reason? We've just avoided them altogether.

And then there is the lovely dual mass flywheel to cause grief to the manual driver trying to avoid the issues of the automatics. That is assuming you have the choice in the first place.

The automatic in my 2005 Statesman did not miss a beat in the 130000 that I had the car for and the one in the 6.0 litre Caprice is still very happy after 153000.

The zf4hp struggled to get to 100000 on a regular basis.

Have been considering a 508 gt to replace the Caprice but uncertainty over the auto with no manual option is really clouding the choice, might just hang on to the comfort space and grunt offered by the big limo.

So just to get a clear understanding of the situation - if my AM6 box has had the oil changed and it's still operating perfectly at 86,000km, adding the Lucas Transmission Fix would be a good preventative measure? The only product with 'stop slip' in its name that I could find was for power steering fluid, so I'm guessing this is the product to use for the AM6:

[h=1]Lucas Transmission Fix[/h]Lucas Transmission Fix is a non-solvent formula that stops slip, hesitation and
rough shifting in worn transmissions and completely eliminates most seal leaks.
Use in any transmission for preventative maintenance.
Use also in light duty manual transmissions to increase shifting ease and transmission life.

[h=5]KEY BENEFITS[/h]
  • Contains no solvents
  • Lowers operating temperatures and stops foaming
  • Can be added to existing fluid without draining any out
  • Effective in an extremely high percentage of cases
[h=5]PACKAGING[/h]#10009 - 700ml Case of 24

If it ain't broke, don't fix it

Sadly, that doesn't seem to work too well with these modern 'sealed for life' auto boxes. I've heard of suspiciously too many failures, both with euro ZF boxes and these asian types. Anyone got experience to offer on my question?

Yes - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Put another way, no one comes to a forum and tells people about how their gearbox is not broken.