C5 Aisin Warner 6 speed automatic

fritzelhund

Fellow Frogger
I would like to share an experience with others.

The C5 ( a 2 litre diesel ) at 7 years of age and 65000 ks had begun to deliver inconsistent 2nd to 3rd up changes, that were very dependent on throttle setting, but I still couldn't drive around it so off to EUROSERVE ( in Brisbane ) it went.

Fresh genuine oil in the gearbox ( I don't know if this box has a filter ) , and no doubt a chat with Lexia, and all is back to what it was or even better than it has ever been. It now readily sings through changes and is more likely to pick up 6th on a 90 km/h motorway. Genuine oil was charged at approx $18 a litre and it needed 7.5 litres.

The exercise was well worth the effort.

doesn't matter what the service book says, change the oil in the Auto every 20k at the very least. Good to hear it solved your problem.

Citroen's are very sneaky. I would suspect it's just pretending to be fixed before throwing the timing belt or something equally expensive :)

M. C5_ V6_ 2006
Oh !! Ye of little faith,
Timing belt, water pump and a couple of oil seals on crankshaft and camshaft were tackled at the same time..preventive stuff. The car has done only 65ks but time was up on the belt and coolant anyway.

Citroen's are very sneaky. I would suspect it's just pretending to be fixed before throwing the timing belt or something equally expensive :)

You'd be well advised to keep an eye on your V6's crank pulley/damper and beware any wobbles. That can be very expensive!

Fresh oil is a good idea, but if the AM6 starts to slip on changes, the finger may be pointing at the valve block.

Thanks David,

It seems M. Citroen has had a habit of selecting poor automatic transmission suppliers. The Borg Warner 35 in DSs got a bad name early on ( mixing oils and porous castings ), more recently the AL$s ( great GERMAN stuff that SIEMENS product ) and now you tell me the ( Japanese sourced ) AM6 isn't to be trusted. The torque converter in my GS always leaked around the central seal on the shaft, ....... It seems the more things change the more they stay the same >>> Inadequate engine mounts seems to be another almost "traditional " fault carried over even in these PSA days.

No, the AM6 is an excellent transmission and used in a number of excellent cars from major manufacturers, but called different things. However, like everything mechanical, it can eventually develop faults.

Autotrans adaptive resets will only be temporary ,the main problem is already exists which is sticky solenoids due to contamination from factory.or glycol from cooler.resetting just puts the solenoids on a good part of the pin until adaptations are finished from driving normally.then solenoid pin will be back running the sticky part again. Good luck anyway

The am6 I have is hard shifting and occasionally revs up high between up shifts like it's momentarily out of gear. I expected something like this so took out the extra $2k 5yr cover option from the dealer. Found saddleton automatics in coffs Harbor who can do a valve body change for 1800. So will likely get that done on warranty once the land Rover this car replaced finishes having its auto rebuilt under warranty too ... Though I might try an oil change first. ..

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

The am6 I have is hard shifting and occasionally revs up high between up shifts like it's momentarily out of gear. I expected something like this so took out the extra $2k 5yr cover option from the dealer. Found saddleton automatics in coffs Harbor who can do a valve body change for 1800. So will likely get that done on warranty once the land Rover this car replaced finishes having its auto rebuilt under warranty too ... Though I might try an oil change first. ..

I read these posts and continue to wonder why so many folk buy automatics.

No doubt there is a good reason? We've just avoided them altogether.

I would too. I grew up on manuals. But the gf won't drive them. ..

I read these posts and continue to wonder why so many folk buy automatics.

No doubt there is a good reason? We've just avoided them altogether.

Hi John,:)
I have joint problems and have had my clutch hip replaced twice now. A manual car irritates it. I also have got to like them now :)
No doubt there is a price to pay however particularly with French cars.
Jaahn

Hi John,:)
I have joint problems and have had my clutch hip replaced twice now. A manual car irritates it. I also have got to like them now :)
No doubt there is a price to pay however particularly with French cars.
Jaahn
Ouch. Now that's a reason!

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, come to think of it in my case, given that I do love my C-matic.... :(

You'd be well advised to keep an eye on your V6's crank pulley/damper and beware any wobbles. That can be very expensive!

Fresh oil is a good idea, but if the AM6 starts to slip on changes, the finger may be pointing at the valve block.

Fresh oil is a good idea, but if the AM6 starts to slip on changes, the finger may be pointing at the valve block.[/QUOTE]

If your in Brisbane there is an auto transmission guy at Stafford that reconditions the solenoids with a ASIN repair kit for a lot less than new ones and he does clean the filter on an oil change ... be thankful you don't have a crosser or a 4007 with the DCT / DCS The local Peugeot Price for the oil is $1700 + TRADE PRICE Ford sell the same stuff for $37.00 a ltr needs 5.5 ltrs for a change

Thanks David,

It seems M. Citroen has had a habit of selecting poor automatic transmission suppliers. The Borg Warner 35 in DSs got a bad name early on ( mixing oils and porous castings ), more recently the AL$s ( great GERMAN stuff that SIEMENS product ) and now you tell me the ( Japanese sourced ) AM6 isn't to be trusted. The torque converter in my GS always leaked around the central seal on the shaft, ....... It seems the more things change the more they stay the same >>> Inadequate engine mounts seems to be another almost "traditional " fault carried over even in these PSA days.

Well if something works why change it.

Good luck with the transmission. Mine suffered the same fate and an oil change only fixed it temporarily. I ended up having to replace the valvebody with a refurbished one for $2,000 including labour which isn't too bad. Has been going strong ever since.

good to hear that, how many kms had it done ? as im hoping i can just get away with that too and not a complete box change