604...is it the coolest euro ever made...

604, to me, is a 3 box sedan, cool in it's own way but 99% of them just look like old sedans, when done right they are very cool though!

Since it was mentioned, the 605, to me it looks like a big Camry, and is about as cool. (sorry guys)

Citroens, to people that don't understand them, seriously uncool, not many people understand them either. :disappr:

504, much like the 604, when done right, are cool, most are done right. :approve:

404, meh, just a restorers cars to me :confused: I've always thought they look a bit like a scaled up Trabant, to me that's cool, but I like 2 strokes. :D

403, cool. :cool: Not in white though, but no cars are. I reckon a 403 would look really nice in a dark colour with wide wheels and lowered a bit. :cool: I am slightly biased though. :rolleyes:

402 & 202 (they're the ones with the lights behind the grill Shane) much like Citroens really, they're properly French and thus, are more weird than cool. I like them though. :approve:

All depends on your perspective, naturally, we all think the cars we own are cool, I think my 505 is cool, would be much better if the paint would behave and stay where it's meant to and not fade! :roflmao:

A good example. At school we built a S2 SWB Land Rover out of a few dead ones, it had a ute cab painted white, dark blue body, light swampy green chassis and axles and burgundy wheels. Quite possibly the most horrible looking vehicle I've ever seen. Of course the teacher wouldn't shut up about how cool it looked.

Every car is cool in it's own way. :confused:

The 504 is more disctinctive though, no-one dared copy its arse end.

Not even Peugeot with the 505, instead they made the HUGE expanse of flat sheet that is great for reading newspapers on, they even put a little lip spoiler on mine so the paper doesn't side off the boot. :roflmao:

Thanks

Hayden

To me, 505 bootlids always look like they don't quite shut properly.

Anyway, I used to hanker after one of these......nearly bought one years ago, wish I had.

:cheers:

Mike.

Attachments

• tagora.jpg
    tagora.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 466
Cool is not a well defined term so no one will ever agree on what it means.

The 604 has a look that is understated, possibly graceful, discreet, considered, competent but with a bit of a hard edge to it.

The DS is a lot more flamboyant and BMWs and Mercs downright vulgar and too obvious by comparison.

I think this is why the 604 was such a good diplomatic car for the French as it sends just the right quiet, courteous, but don't F%&# with me statement that a diplomat would have wanted to send 35 years ago.

I think that there is something slightly evil looking about CXs, which I like. French gangster maybe.

well said and I m in total agreement..you sir have just qualified yourself as a man of taste...

dino

My 404 Coupé Injection is cool. A bit flash and a bit common sense, it's a potent mix.

The 604 was criticised by the press at its introduction for being so plain looking but I kind of like its understated looks. It's classic like a 404 sedan is a classic. The 504 is more disctinctive though, no-one dared copy its arse end.

Agreed...and 404 coupe definitely belongs at the "high cool" level...but you are right it is a touch to flash and flamboyant...kinda like an old aston...this takes away from its coolness...:wink2: undeniably beautiful and even sexy cars though...but lets leave sexy for another thread...

dino

I kind of have to agree with Dino. A clean 604, lowered slightly, from the front is just as cool as ice.

Understated, but really looks the business with it's wiide track and the slim, sleek front end sitting just above the road, looks great.

Yet another man with impeccable taste...and above description is why I ve changed to GTI mags, am dropping the front end.....

Seems like the 604 really does belong at the top...

:wink2:

dino

I agree the slim front end is cool.
Now if it fitted and matched the rest of the car, and the panels looked like thew were all designed by the same designer, and the wheel track was a bit wider at the rear, it would be sort of cool, in the same way an old italian man with horn rimmed glasses and pants pulled up to his under arms sipping a short black in Stanley street is sort of cool.

When i look at the fiats that have been compared to to car, I dont see any of that mismatch that the pug has.
I guess the italians just design facades better than the french, and I'd bet resale prices reflect this.

Jo

Problem with your theory, even though it does make "some" sense (eg rear vent on 604 is misplaced unlike on the fiat), is that the cars WERE designed by the same man...hell even the v6 engines are similar in size...

'Sides..this is all irrelevant even though a few points you make are valid...problem is, fuego drivers can never be taken seriously when opinions on taste and style, let alone coolness, are discussed...sorry JO...and your germanic heritage doesnt help...if you were Italian I d think twice about your commentary and would take it more seriously....

will look at spacers for the back if this indeed will take car to greater heights of 'cool'...

:D

dino

604, to me, is a 3 box sedan, cool in it's own way but 99% of them just look like old sedans, when done right they are very cool though!

Since it was mentioned, the 605, to me it looks like a big Camry, and is about as cool. (sorry guys)

Citroens, to people that don't understand them, seriously uncool, not many people understand them either. :disappr:

504, much like the 604, when done right, are cool, most are done right. :approve:

404, meh, just a restorers cars to me :confused: I've always thought they look a bit like a scaled up Trabant, to me that's cool, but I like 2 strokes. :D

403, cool. :cool: Not in white though, but no cars are. I reckon a 403 would look really nice in a dark colour with wide wheels and lowered a bit. :cool: I am slightly biased though. :rolleyes:

402 & 202 (they're the ones with the lights behind the grill Shane) much like Citroens really, they're properly French and thus, are more weird than cool. I like them though. :approve:

All depends on your perspective, naturally, we all think the cars we own are cool, I think my 505 is cool, would be much better if the paint would behave and stay where it's meant to and not fade! :roflmao:

A good example. At school we built a S2 SWB Land Rover out of a few dead ones, it had a ute cab painted white, dark blue body, light swampy green chassis and axles and burgundy wheels. Quite possibly the most horrible looking vehicle I've ever seen. Of course the teacher wouldn't shut up about how cool it looked.

Every car is cool in it's own way. :confused:

Not even Peugeot with the 505, instead they made the HUGE expanse of flat sheet that is great for reading newspapers on, they even put a little lip spoiler on mine so the paper doesn't side off the boot. :roflmao:

Thanks

Hayden

505 is cool...its very cool...not as cool as a 604...but that is an unfair comparison...but its cool...dont let anybody tell you otherwise... :wink2: :D

you are right about everything else...

Ofcourse its a personal opinion...but the question is if I m right whether it belongs at the top...maybe not number 1...but surely in the top five...just has to...

dino

I always thought the Lancia Gamma Coupe was cool, not so sure of the sedan version though. The last true Lancia.

gamofsi.jpg

I totally agree the 604 is uber cool. I can't wait to get my '78 injection on the road.

I agree also with the 130 coupe, that's a close second for me then followed by the 504 coupe.

Pininfarina was on fire in the early 70s.

You're going to seriously de-cool it by putting GTi mags on it... The steelies as featured in your first pic are the ones it wants - keeps the understated appeal intact ;)

Troy, that gamma is nice...and yes...very cool...hell even its name is cool...GaaaaMMMMaaa....very cool.
all one would need is an old led watch, a straw hat, white shirt and a pair of levis...Had to buy all of those a few days after I got the 604...it is "that" demanding....

Hak..an uber cool car like the 604 can handle a fair bit of "de-cooling"...and its still fine. :wink2::D

dino

Pininfarina was on fire in the early 70s.
very true...

Troy, that gamma is nice...and yes...very cool...hell even its name is cool...GaaaaMMMMaaa....very cool.
all one would need is an old led watch, a straw hat, white shirt and a pair of levis...Had to buy all of those a few days after I got the 604...it is "that" demanding....

Hak..an uber cool car like the 604 can handle a fair bit of "de-cooling"...and its still fine. :wink2::D

dino

very true...

now we need to know your impressions after driving said cool car

you are driving it aren't you ?

now we need to know your impressions after driving said cool car

you are driving it aren't you ?

well..I havent driven it much...maybe a few hundred kays...on a permit..Have been very busy with the factory and I ve got cars coming out of my a###e literally....
But so far...I can say it rides like its on air minus a few obviously faulty suspension rubbers that are passing some vibrations through to chassis..this will be fixed soon...remember car has been sitting for a decade...so not a good thing for suspension rubbers...

But this aside it still rides 8/10ths as a good ID... and chews up speed humps better than 99.9 cars out there...handling is good so far but I havent pushed it yet as i am still getting used to the wider tyres that shed the GTI mags...Yesterday, I had the thing at 90 degrees (perpendicular) to direction of travel ...and she recovered superbly...only one wild swing and she was straight...most rear wheel drivers (including the 505) I could have fishtailing for hundreds of meters but the 604 just wanted to be on its way...its is obviously easily provoked from this perspective...

The car now breathes well and is running superbly...it ll burn rubber happily in the wet...but will still not brake traction when dry...This isnt cool and will be rectified...
Once at speed she tracks well...gear changes are 70s smooth...but she pulls away smoothly and will happily hit 110 and sit there with steering wheel holding position by itself easily...Lane changes are balanced and even at speed graceful, if one can forgive the light "boaty" feel...I dont mind this as I am experienced enough to appreciate the sacrifice made in the name of ride...

Economy is superb so far and I dont understand what all the fuss is about...and I m not a light foot...
Most of my driving means I have to be at the head or the pointy end of traffic...so although no ball tearer the 604 hasnt embarrassed me yet....certainly more potent than 4 cylinder "anything" from that era (up to late eighties merc and beemers included)...

One thing it has going for it is the v6 which seems to love to REV...in fact I m enjoying giving it a "blip or two" when in gear...the trimatic happily obliging the extra sounds to come through without a huge overreaction :D It must be a ripper of a car to drive as a manual...auto is more cool though and I m perfectly happy with it.

Leather seats have started to soften up but I still have a way to go before they can be restitched..All the plastics have come up good with 303 and silicone spray is helping the fast glass get its job done quicker day by day...This car really needs to be driven...and I am helping it relax...

But this isnt about "my" car...its about the legend, the phoenix, the immortal 604...

Am I right...does it belong at the top..surely an avalanche :D of support thus far proves it does....

:adrink:

dino

well..I havent driven it much...maybe a few hundred kays...on a permit..Have been very busy with the factory and I ve got cars coming out of my a###e literally....
But so far...I can say it rides like its on air minus a few obviously faulty suspension rubbers that are passing some vibrations through to chassis..this will be fixed soon...remember car has been sitting for a decade...so not a good thing for suspension rubbers...

But this aside it still rides 8/10ths as a good ID... and chews up speed humps better than 99.9 cars out there...handling is good so far but I havent pushed it yet as i am still getting used to the wider tyres that shed the GTI mags...Yesterday, I had the thing at 90 degrees (perpendicular) to direction of travel ...and she recovered superbly...only one wild swing and she was straight...most rear wheel drivers (including the 505) I could have fishtailing for hundreds of meters but the 604 just wanted to be on its way...its is obviously easily provoked from this perspective...

The car now breathes well and is running superbly...it ll burn rubber happily in the wet...but will still not brake traction when dry...This isnt cool and will be rectified...
Once at speed she tracks well...gear changes are 70s smooth...but she pulls away smoothly and will happily hit 110 and sit there with steering wheel holding position by itself easily...Lane changes are balanced and even at speed graceful, if one can forgive the light "boaty" feel...I dont mind this as I am experienced enough to appreciate the sacrifice made in the name of ride...

Economy is superb so far and I dont understand what all the fuss is about...and I m not a light foot...
Most of my driving means I have to be at the head or the pointy end of traffic...so although no ball tearer the 604 hasnt embarrassed me yet....certainly more potent than 4 cylinder "anything" from that era (up to late eighties merc and beemers included)...

One thing it has going for it is the v6 which seems to love to REV...in fact I m enjoying giving it a "blip or two" when in gear...the trimatic happily obliging the extra sounds to come through without a huge overreaction :D It must be a ripper of a car to drive as a manual...auto is more cool though and I m perfectly happy with it.

Leather seats have started to soften up but I still have a way to go before they can be restitched..All the plastics have come up good with 303 and silicone spray is helping the fast glass get its job done quicker day by day...This car really needs to be driven...and I am helping it relax...

But this isnt about "my" car...its about the legend, the phoenix, the immortal 604...

Am I right...does it belong at the top..surely an avalanche :D of support thus far proves it does....

:adrink:

dino

I can hear all the Renault owners yawning......:rolleyes:

Dino, the car is cool but i'm biased but it's an experience bias i posses

BTW it sounds like your car might still have the old 900rpm stall torque convertor in it so it won't break traction in the dry

it will just bury it's rear into the ground and move forward

and yes they are a hoot to drive in manual form but they are still cool in manual the same as they are still cool woth GTi mags on them

the front end looks like it means business and more so with yellow lights in them

i have a pic of one i took in either frnce or switzerland with yellow lights and even with all the other cars around it the 604 stands out as the 'don't stuff with me' car

i'm afraid mine is sitting awaiting it's new heart that i am putting back together at the moment

the thought of converting it to manual while the engine is out is still haunting me but the only clutch plate i have is in use and i don't feel like buying another at this point

i also need a few more m/s cylinders and another clutch pedal but everything else i have

I can hear all the Renault owners yawning......:rolleyes:

well..instead of yawning they could perhaps put up a worthy represenative..but lets face it...this side of an r4 or an alpine ...renault sint the first thing that comes to mind when one thinks "cool"...

Renault_Alpine_A310.jpg

perhaps its to cool...just look at that colour even...very cool...but the faux fibreglass lets it down...its still says...be gentle with me even though it has the heart of a 604...so a brave-heart thats really a bit of a pussy...

and what about the gorgeous R4..very cool..but is it to cute...I think so...

24144_HD_ren2010Renault4_8B.jpg

..a gordini perhaps...again...definitely cool...but look at that face...only a mum could love that...

renault_8_gordini1.jpg

:wink2:

:D

:confused:

dino

DS knocks em all out of the park, and of Double Chevrons last pic, the CX is clear winner!
Remember that Ad for a Honda or something where a DS comes out of the car park, and everyone thinks..."cool...what's this and ad for again????"

DS knocks em all out of the park, and of Double Chevrons last pic, the CX is clear winner!
Remember that Ad for a Honda or something where a DS comes out of the car park, and everyone thinks..."cool...what's this and ad for again????"

the DS is too soft to be cool and the CX too quirky

i think Dino has finally found nirvana