604...is it the coolest euro ever made...

Continuing my Fiat 130 theme. (I once owned a 130 sedan)

Fiat produced a couple of prototypes more in keeping with the styling of the 130 coupe.

A four door sedan and also a 'shooting brake' style.

see attached.

Attachments

• Fiat 130 opera.jpg
    Fiat 130 opera.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 2,383
  • fiat 130 Maremma.jpg
    fiat 130 Maremma.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 411
I love the 604 and would personally love a 604 or a 605. There was a lesbian that lived in Stanmore Sydney that had a 605 that I met once. She kept it in mint condition too.

There was a lesbian that lived in Stanmore Sydney that had a 605 that I met once. She kept it in mint condition too.

OK..."not" exactly the direction I was aiming for with this particular thread...but since there are dutch and german spectators i will allow it... :roflmao::roflmao: :wink2: :confused:

:cheers:

dino

Continuing my Fiat 130 theme. (I once owned a 130 sedan)

Fiat produced a couple of prototypes more in keeping with the styling of the 130 coupe.

A four door sedan and also a 'shooting brake' style.

see attached.

attachment.php

This is what i dont get...why didnt fiat DO the prototype??? just crazy...instead the 130 sedan was a much different car to the coupe...crazyy...although admittedly the production sedan was still a very funky thing...all those switches..the velour interiors...very seventies chick...
I still say...the 604 is a better 130 sedan than the fiat 130 sedan...atleast externally...I will admit that to a certain extent I prefer the italian interior...604 door cards in particular arent memorable and possibly worst door handle/armrest built quality imaginable...i reckon even the russians could have done a better molding back then...ok maybe not the Russians...but certainly the Indians... :confused:

GCE7YCDC2FBPBA7L_medium.jpg

lovely stuff

1974_Fiat_130_For_Sale_Interior_2_1.jpg

1974_Fiat_130_For_Sale_Interior_1_1.jpg

not french...but very very tasty....

What we have to ask our self is: "Is SM nicer and even more cool...??"

1970-citroen-sm-2_460x0w.jpg

I think so...maybe...definitely maybe...

2566103766_cb34233923.jpg

:confused: :wink2:

think we might have winner here...but it is becoming very very exclusive...

Shouldnt "uber" coolness be "accessible" to one and all...I think yes...

Much to ponder here.... :wink2:

dino

So to summarize...so far, this is where I stand...naturally this is my opinion only... :wink2::)

1. Peugeot 604
2. Fiat 130 coupe
3. SM
4. DS
5. 404 sedan
6. mercedes 300sel 6.3
7. R4
8. lancia delta
9. cx
10. bmw 6 series

Ok so some maybe shouldnt be there and there might be others that should ..but it is almost 1 am ...entertain or excuse me...:wink2:

But i think the top 5 are more or less spot on...
Let me explain...

504 is a lovely car...so is the coupe...stunning stuff...even those who dont know french stuff had their jaws drop when they saw the chocolate one in another thread...So...one might thing they should be included..along with the 404 coupe...NOT TO BE..they are simply to nice...to sexy..they are lavish designs that transcend cool...to delicate even...am I right..ofcourse...

Why isnt the DS at the top...As much as I d like to :) it simply can not be done...A DS to be perfectly cool NEEDS a COOL driver...This isnt right...This is why the 604 beats it...ANYBODY will feel cool and look cool in a 604...Although demanding it isnt so image conscious hence why we can do things to it and it will still hold its head up...try modifying a DS...and everything goes very quickly to pieces...DS is a bit like artwork..you can not add to it..nor can you take away...this, although theoretically nice...isnt cool...COOL is freedom to do what you want...we simply can not drink cafe lattes all the time..sometimes we want to park in the russian part of town chasing voluptuous women and strong vodka..again this is a different story along the lines of where daniel was heading so we shall restrain our selfs...but you get my point...you dont take a D to a nasty part of town..a 604 you can (no Patrick, the 605 doesnt qualify--it does when its stolen but not when its driven by an aussie architect...sorry)
Where were we...yes...LHM on the garage floor..NOT COOL...hence number 4

SM although a surprise contender deserves it...its pure decadence...but its quality styling thats a notch up from the D..and that Maserati engine is streets ahead of the tractor pull...right...kinda self explanatory...Right..definitely...

not much to be said here...

its 6.3 litres...that kinda sums it up...if that isnt cool go and see a shrink...then there is the chrome...the air suspension...the timber...quality that still hasnt been surpassed...well yes...Bugatti veyron is better but they didnt build 2 hundred thousand of them did they...thats cool in my books...
plus it did 6 seocn 0 to 100 and 14 sec 1/4...back when i was still an embryo...

R4...cute..but cool...nuff said...and it is my list :D

Lancia delta...god damned..only the italians can capture sm interior and the put it in a hot rod..just look at the face of the thing...you want to be a car and then you want your boyfriend to be the lancia delta evo..its true...dont try and deny it..

214192_lancia_delta_hf_integralle_evo.jpg

Who doesnt want one...??? all that say no...seek help and do it fast...also you need to loose weight...right? yes I thought as much...

CX... I dont know why..but that there is good enough reason...and then there is the chance to wear that "mo" and shoulder patches...we all have to do it at one time or another...

635...mmm this is an interesting one...Its sexy...YES...its stylish...YES..its large...YES..its fast ...YES...its has alarge boot...YES...nice door handle...YES...
Face it..sit down..ask yourself any number of questions...even ones that are completely irrelevant....ANSWER will always be YES..its the car that would be a perfect women for a man and a perfect man for a woman....If they were a car that is..and if we are not straying into other rather adventurous forms of lifestyle...but I do not want to stray...AS YOU CAN CLEARLY SEE...we shall leave those options for another day...but you get my point right... :D

dino

goodnight... and I stand to be corrected...

oh by the way Fuegos manage number 23... just the way the dice falls unfortunately...
and before I forget...605 got 42...not bad really...

No alexander...jeeps didnt register...

Last edited:
I reject your assertion that big engines are cool - it is cool to not have to hide behind the size of your engine, and to state clearly to the world that you are comfortable with who you are in your choice of vehicle.

Original 4 door alfasud is super cool with rubber mat flooring, simple dash and 70's hub caps.

Guilia Super. Pretty. Cool.

Powerful engine man? You be the judge.

Attachments

• alfasud.jpg
    alfasud.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 339
  • alfa_neu6.jpg
    alfa_neu6.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 599
  • imagesCA9RN1TU.jpg
    imagesCA9RN1TU.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 349
Last edited:
love that 5 bm.

my vote for cool (sry i'm ignoring the 604 as being beneath contempt).

1: lancia aurelia
2: bristol 400 zagato (my dad had one, v nice)
3: daimler 250v8 sedan - theres a cool lowered one of these with big minilites in red and white at caloundra atm - freakin awesome ! (just found a link - http://www.justauto.com.au/justcars/buy_and_sell/for_sale/afb84b7d-59fa-4ca0-b378-997f22023ab7
4: austin 1800 - and by your idea of cool = interior space then here we have a winner (used to have one of these, great car.)

love that 5 bm.

my vote for cool (sry i'm ignoring the 604 as being beneath contempt).

1: lancia aurelia
2: bristol 400 zagato (my dad had one, v nice)
3: daimler 250v8 sedan - theres a cool lowered one of these with big minilites in red and white at caloundra atm - freakin awesome ! (just found a link - http://www.justauto.com.au/justcars/buy_and_sell/for_sale/afb84b7d-59fa-4ca0-b378-997f22023ab7
4: austin 1800 - and by your idea of cool = interior space then here we have a winner (used to have one of these, great car.)

I've always wanted to put the engine from one of those in a 403, now THAT would be the coolest Euro! :D

3: daimler 250v8 sedan - theres a cool lowered one of these with big minilites in red and white at

The 405 is blocking up my dad's garage...
This has been in the family for over 30 years. It is a great car, but i don't know about cool. Almost everything here is trying far too hard.

There is nothing worse than a car that screams for attention. It says a lot about the driver, which is why i hate driving the damiler around the city

It is a cliche, but it doesn't get much better than this for me. No bullshit - just practical and fun. They have become far too trendy, which is ironic and sad.

4073144041_f7e9dcceab.jpg

So to summarize...so far, this is where I stand...naturally this is my opinion only... :wink2::)

1. Peugeot 604
2. Fiat 130 coupe
3. SM
4. DS
5. 404 sedan
6. mercedes 300sel 6.3
7. R4
8. lancia delta
9. cx
10. bmw 6 series

I'd still put the Fiat 130 top. Maybe I am just biased against 4 doors, or it could be that the Fiat has a Ferrari engine, and the 604 has a Volvo engine.

The other interesting thing about this list ( and I am agreeing with your general logic here) is that, Citroens apart, they are all "square" cars rather than rounded ones. No Peugeot 406 coupe. No Alfa Montreal. I am assuming here you mean the 80's BMW 6 series, not the modern abomination.

To continue the square theme, XW /XY Falcons look much better than XAs. By the time you get to XD, you have a 605 (or FIAT 130) copy, only a bigger car with smaller headlights. Saw a WB Caprice this morning. Still looks good. W126 Benzes are still an imposing car.

Strangely, Volvo 240s and 760s aren't.

Weird.

It is a great car, but i don't know about cool. Almost everything here is trying far too hard.

There is nothing worse than a car that screams for attention. It says a lot about the driver, which is why i hate driving the damiler around the city

that could be considered a bit harsh - after all, what fun would it be if everyone expressed themselves the same way.

personally i always like ratty different things - that bm looks like a laugh and from the above assertion means that i would have to be deficient in something to be happy to drive it.

personally when i see a modded / loud looking car i generally think it says the driver likes playing with and modding cars. i fail to see how that can be a bad thing, it's their / my bag.

same block but different heads - 2v rather than 4v i think from memory.

Maybe they had similar origins in design but they were not the same block. The blocks have different V angles for starters, 65 degrees in the Dino and 60 degrees in the 130. Also the Dino engine was chain driven while the 130 was belt drive. Aurelio Lampredi designed the 130 engine while he was with Fiat, he hadn't worked for Ferrari for a long time.

Maybe they had similar origins in design but they were not the same block. The blocks have different V angles for starters, 65 degrees in the Dino and 60 degrees in the 130. Also the Dino engine was chain driven while the 130 was belt drive. Aurelio Lampredi designed the 130 engine while he was with Fiat, he hadn't worked for Ferrari for a long time.

ah cheers, i guess i had assumed as fiat had said it was a ferrari motor but one was 2v and one was 4v i thought they would at least have had something in common... apparently not !