504 to restore

No twisting, but maybe side to side. If all else fails a rag to protect from glass fragments and a pair of long nosed pliers.

This may be of limited value, but at least it shows what you're dealing with. As mentioned earlier, you will need to use a fair bit of force to remove the rheostat button.

View attachment 238169
I gather that metal clip in the knob fits in the groove on the switch shaft?
Is there no way to fit a hooked instrument in the back of the knob to spread the clip a little?

The plastic knob has no metal clip. As per the photo, it is simply molded plastic. Possibly the simplest way of removing the knob, but most expensive, is via a suitable tool such as the one I just used. If you go down the blue tool path, and don't want to damage the painted finish, you'll need to insert some padding between it and the black part of the instrument cluster. By the way, the tool is part of a Kincrome set.

Look, although the knobs are difficult to remove, at least they don't become loose and fall off!

20240312_152420.jpg
20240312_152454.jpg

Why not try some hot water on the plastic knob to hopefully soften/expand it in an attempt to make it easier,you would have to lean instrument panel over face down almost,so as not to get water inside gauges..jim

Why not try some hot water on the plastic knob to hopefully soften/expand it in an attempt to make it easier,you would have to lean instrument panel over face down almost,so as not to get water inside gauges..jim
Could I use a hair dryer to avoid the whole moisture issue?

I guess you could as long as you blow air across parallel to instrument cluster and have cold cloth over panel faces to prevent distortion of lenses

Sounds like you may need a small gel heat pack you can wrap around the knobs without touching anything else or adding fluid.

I guess you could as long as you blow air across parallel to instrument cluster and have cold cloth over panel faces to prevent distortion of lenses
I've already removed the lenses because 2 of them were opaque and badly cracked. Thank you so much for trying to help me with this. I know it's a fairly dull operation.

If it's any consolation, I think you have something wonderful and enviable to look forward to after all this frustrating pernickety resto labour. Today my dad identified the 504 as the most comfortable Peugeot he's owned, though he said the 505 with a 5 speed gearbox was the best cruiser. (Note that his comparative references include his 406, 307, current 308 well as his sister's 404 and my 306.)

If it's any consolation, I think you have something wonderful and enviable to look forward to after all this frustrating pernickety resto labour. Today my dad identified the 504 as the most comfortable Peugeot he's owned, though he said the 505 with a 5 speed gearbox was the best cruiser. (Note that his comparative references include his 406, 307, current 308 well as his sister's 404 and my 306.)
Thank you for your comment. Hopefully soon I may be able to compare the two side by side (watch this space)

The plastic knob has no metal clip. As per the photo, it is simply molded plastic. Possibly the simplest way of removing the knob, but most expensive, is via a suitable tool such as the one I just used. If you go down the blue tool path, and don't want to damage the painted finish, you'll need to insert some padding between it and the black part of the instrument cluster. By the way, the tool is part of a Kincrome set.

Look, although the knobs are difficult to remove, at least they don't become loose and fall off!

View attachment 238171View attachment 238172
Oh OK, I know what I've done, In post #180 about removing the knob, there's a round black item at the bottom of the attached image. I thought that was the knob off the switch above it
I see now It Is actually a bulb holder.
Carry on.

20240312_155652.jpg

Oh OK, I know what I've done, In post #180 about removing the knob, there's a round black item at the bottom of the attached image. I thought that was the knob off the switch above it
Carry on.

View attachment 238179
It requires gumption to acknowledge a misinterpretation. Respect. 🫡

Carry on.

View attachment 238179
All good. I made a mistake once, but then realised I hadn't.

10 years since I played with a 504 dash but I think the bulbs are push in and twist

I have installed new perspex covers for the dials in a few 504s, and I recommend doing it, if you can find a place that has perspex offcuts. Just look up the yellow pages. And they don't even have to be cut perfectly...a little large or rough outer edge won't show up, though you may have to tack them in place whilst installing.

I used to also rub back the plastic case with 800 grit sandpaper and repaint with a spray can. Used to look like new.