205 GTI 'Classics' - Where are they now?

peugeot 205 gti classic badges

Hello Hicho
I am interested in trying to acquire CLASSIC badges
Can you help
Thanks Jim

G'day Jim,

Still waiting on a fourth taker. I'm happy to buy 2 sets but can't justify 3.

Now have:
- Hicho
- Walshy
- Wetsleeve

Once I get another taker, I'll move forward and attempt to get them made up.

G'day Jim,

Still waiting on a fourth taker.

Have you tried RI88IT? His car looks beautiful but missing side stickers. Or maybe Jim wants to put his hand up for a second set?

As I mentioned, while it lends to the authenticity, I'm not overly enthused about the look of the stickers. Spoke to a few members of the public at the Melbourne French Car Festival that had a "Çlassic" when they were released. The general consensus was that on the rear panel the Classic text was a badge, not a decal/sticker. Can anyone help out with some pics of original side and rear badging to assist with my decision? Thanks. Donna.

It is definitely a sticker, albeit a fairly thick, contoured one.

I tend to agree about the looks - it's really about originality for me.

I've put a photo below. If you look in my profile and photo albums you'll see some photos of the side view (can't work out at the moment how to import it back from the album to a post...)

Sydney-20131113-00087.jpg

I wonder how many green 205s out there have been de-classicified (if that's a term)...

I know of a 205 in Mayerling/Sorrento Green, euro spec S3 rear panel etc - it's not hard to change the appearance of a car!

Most green 205s weren't 'Classics'. There were only ever 30 Classics in Australia. On the othe hand, Sorrento Green was a popular colour in the S3 that looks quite similar to the Mayerling Green of the Classics.

From what I've seen, quite a few of the Classics have lost some or all of the 'Classic' stickers - no doubt partly because they are pretty much impossible to replace if you don't preserve them when respraying or repairing a panel, and partly because (as RI88IT points out) they never looked that good to start with!

Most green 205s weren't 'Classics'. There were only ever 30 Classics in Australia. On the othe hand, Sorrento Green was a popular colour in the S3 that looks quite similar to the Mayerling Green of the Classics.

From what I've seen, quite a few of the Classics have lost some or all of the 'Classic' stickers - no doubt partly because they are pretty much impossible to replace if you don't preserve them when respraying or repairing a panel, and partly because (as RI88IT points out) they never looked that good to start with!

Yep! Not a huge fan of them, but like original look.

And my rear 'classic' logo is definitely a sticker like the rear quarters, only smaller in size.
They are called a 'dome' or 3D sticker, basically a sticker covered in a hard-ish clear epoxy resin - hence the cost and difficulty in getting a custom job reproduced.

I can't resist: Where are they now?

Probably featuring in an arrest mugshot, overweight and balding.

:roflmao:

I stumbled across the original Australian press release for the Classic the other day.

It's a pretty ordinary publication and the copy wasn't very good either, but here is a link.

Hopefully it's useful.

Thank you! One to print out for the file...

Who's the new owner of Gezza's classic? Are there any details we can update the register with??

That's great!! Thanks so much.

Press statements have have come a long way!!

Gezza's Classic - Number 25 of 30

So who's the lucky new owner of Gezza's Classic? Gezza said he was on the forum. Can we update the register and keep track of where this one is?

That would be my brother and I...Number 25 is still in Perth, my brother is currently discovering the driving joys of a 205gti :D...after a $3,200 servicing bill!

That would be my brother and I...Number 25 is still in Perth, my brother is currently discovering the driving joys of a 205gti :D...after a $3,200 servicing bill!

Wow, where did your brother get the work done? And what was done?

Wow, where did your brother get the work done? And what was done?

I think it was Eurocare...? It needed a few things - turns out it was leaking from the crankshaft seal, so had that repaired and took the chance to do timing belt, tensioners etc, might have had the air con re-gassed too, also needed new rotors, pads all round and maybe a master cylinder, plus general oil and filter service.

And a few gauges had stopped working just after my brother picked it up - had those repaired too!

Flipping eck!!

I knew as did your brother it had just started a very slow oil leak (I even pointed it out to him) timing belt was fine though I gave a full set of brake pads for all round with the car along with $1000s worth of other parts as you know, gauges were all working fine so don't know what went wrong there?

As for the aircon yeah wasn't the coldest as again I pointed out to your brother as for oil and filter service I had don't that less than 200kms before I sold it!!

Master cylinder is a new one was fine with me.

I think the biggest part of that bill is labour :-(

If your brother had come back down here I would of done all the brakes for him and the oil and filter again (although didn't need doing). Plus checked out the gauges guessing it was the oil temp or oil pressure gauge as they are the ones I changed for the fancy ones well with the number sin them I still have the originals some were I forgot to give them him.

Gutted it needed the seal doing :-(

I think it was Eurocare...? It needed a few things - turns out it was leaking from the crankshaft seal, so had that repaired and took the chance to do timing belt, tensioners etc, might have had the air con re-gassed too, also needed new rotors, pads all round and maybe a master cylinder, plus general oil and filter service.

Interesting, thanks for providing the info. This topic is getting slightly off topic, so I won't add much more. However, I have always been impressed by the reasonable hour rates charged by Eurocare for labour. Late last year I had the lads at Eurocare change the timing belt on my 205 as I no longer had access to a hoist (and didn't really want to do the job) and the bill was only a few hundred dollars. So for them to charge over 3k, it must have been the cost of parts that added up.