2015 Grand Picasso Adblue Crystallization Issue

looking at a cheap one owner '15 with impeccable service history & reasonable miles - but !
white residue in boot and countdown message makes me wonder if it isn’t more serious than the bloke says.
Out of warranty last July, could it be worth the vendor or I approaching Citroen - or just walk away from buying trouble?
Your existing 2013 model doesn't have this system to consider. Less to go wrong is not a bad thing. The residue is most likely just spilled urea near the filling point, but you need to know the fault codes to determine why the countdown has started. If there are crusty white deposits along the exhaust, the injector may be leaking and that's a fraction of the cost of a urea reservoir. If it turns out to require a urea reservoir it can't hurt for the original owner (vs bought yesterday owner) to ask Citroen directly if there is any support available. It would have to go to a dealer for diagnosis if asking for support. Or you discount the price accordingly for the unknown and fix it yourself.

looking at a cheap one owner '15 with impeccable service history & reasonable miles - but !
white residue in boot and countdown message makes me wonder if it isn’t more serious than the bloke says.
Out of warranty last July, could it be worth the vendor or I approaching Citroen - or just walk away from buying trouble?
If it has a fixed dash display with a countdown timer the car won't be startable once the countdown timer is reached.

Are you sure you're not seeing the 'distance remaining' display for the AdBlue ?

Cheers

Justin

Sorry guys. I haven't been getting alerts about new posts. I have a final post regarding my issue, but first a quick response to Steven King. Agree that the white residue just means sloppy filling technique. The countdown timer is on and presumably the orange UREA alarm comes on at start up, but you don't say if the owner has tried topping up the tank. If he has, then sadly you'll be up for a new tank. No big deal, just big money. So that can be included in your negotiation if that's the only issue IMHO. Great car otherwise.

My story is over. As mentioned, I first tried Wynns Crystal Clean and Protect. Did a first dose. After 100km no change to Urea alarm, so added a second dose. No change after 200kms. Decided to check the adblue injector. It was spotless. I've seen photos where the injector has crusty deposits, but mine looked like new. I wish I'd looked at it before I added the cleaner just to know if the cleaner had done its job. AllenM said he had success getting his tank flushed out. I decided to try that. I emptied the adblue out of the tank and my bucket looked like it was full of detergent. Bubbles everywhere. The cleaner certainly is effective. I only needed to use 150ml according to bottle so I ended up with 300ml and bubbles. The flush didn't work either, so I had to come to the awful conclusion that the level sensor was definitely faulty rather than dirty. With 600kms to go on the countdown, I contacted Citroen Australia again armed with advice (but no help) from ACCC. I was very fortunate to find that this time they agreed to replace the tank for me. What a relief.

Now that my 2015 Grand Picasso is perfect and reliable again, I've decided it's time to sell and move to something smaller and Adblue-free. (Maybe even petrol and diesel free - shock horror!) I haven't needed a 7-seater since the kids got their licences. I wish you all well with your adblue systems.

Owner has been topping up as a matter of course, and frequently ... the Townsville dealer who serviced it in the last year also noted the countdown then. I haven't been able to establish details re replacement parts or recalls being done but the service is all as due by mileage and stamped by Alan Mance, Trivett City and Melbourne City before ... a consumer deserving of better than this.

Owner has been topping up as a matter of course, and frequently ... the Townsville dealer who serviced it in the last year also noted the countdown then. I haven't been able to establish details re replacement parts or recalls being done but the service is all as due by mileage and stamped by Alan Mance, Trivett City and Melbourne City before ... a consumer deserving of better than this.
I think you're just talking about the usage countdown - not the inoperative AdBlue lockout. No dealer would have set a car out the door if the lockout countdown timer was running.

Cheers

Justin

They might have if the owner declined to pay for a repair or if they cleared the faults and nothing immediately came back.

They might have if the owner declined to pay for a repair or if they cleared the faults and nothing immediately came back.
Resetting the countdown timer is a very specific operation. Quite different to clearing faults.

Cheers

Justin

Only getting lowballs, Vendor assures he will see local dealer / get it sorted.
Don’t suppose someone can message me an appropriate point of contact at Citroen Australia for making good out of warranty?

The tanks can be sourced out of Poland for a fraction of the cost quoted in these posts. I will buy one as a reserve. Fitting them is a half hour job. I don’t believe there is any software Diagbox installation process.
These tanks are replaced in the UK on a daily basis. You can imagine how many are replaced in France. It would be like fitting new wiper blades.
Hi Ceenine, do you know where specifically and if so can you post where we can get the tanks from Poland please? I am based in the EU so this is possibly a viable way to deal with the issue.. if (as seems likely) the dealership decides to tell us that we need to do this. Thanks either way. Have a great day. :)

I've recently had a tank replaced in a 2014 Peugeot 308 Touring. It was obviously outside of the warranty period, but the dealer approached Peugeot Citroen Australia for a Goodwill Claim to have it replaced at no cost to me. It would be the car's third urea tank. The first tank was replaced at 121,826 km and the next tank at 159,357 km. That claim was denied. The dealer then wrote to Peugeot Customer Care to escalate the claim. They were described to me as the 'human side' of the claim process and don't deal in the black and white of the car's age. That claim was successful. I now have a new tank. It is an upgraded part with a new part number, so make sure that is what you get. The old part number is 9818559380. The upgraded part no. is 1682620080. The quote for the Goodwill Claim totalled $5,086 as they wanted to put a new heat shield on too (part number 9808404280) and quoted for labour to remove and replace the tank. The tank was costed at $4,147.

I've recently had a tank replaced in a 2014 Peugeot 308 Touring. It was obviously outside of the warranty period, but the dealer approached Peugeot Citroen Australia for a Goodwill Claim to have it replaced at no cost to me. It would be the car's third urea tank. The first tank was replaced at 121,826 km and the next tank at 159,357 km. That claim was denied. The dealer then wrote to Peugeot Customer Care to escalate the claim. They were described to me as the 'human side' of the claim process and don't deal in the black and white of the car's age. That claim was successful. I now have a new tank. It is an upgraded part with a new part number, so make sure that is what you get. The old part number is 9818559380. The upgraded part no. is 1682620080. The quote for the Goodwill Claim totalled $5,086 as they wanted to put a new heat shield on too (part number 9808404280) and quoted for labour to remove and replace the tank. The tank was costed at $4,147.
Interesting. When the AdBue tank in our 2018 308 Touring was replaced under warranty in March 2022 the part listed was indeed P9818559380. I wonder when the newer part started being used. We were told that our car would be using the newer part at the time so it's disappointing to hear that they just installed a superceded part in our car.

Cheers

Justin

9818559380 would have been what was the latest version in March 2022.

adblue 3:7.jpg
as installed 3rd of last month

So we're assuming the vendor got it sorted as you mentioned ?

Cheers

Justin

as discussed;

Hi all, it's been 10+ years since I sold my last Citroën, but am currently considering (early stages) whether a Series II Grand Picasso (HDI) might make a suitable family runabout replacement.

The Adblue tank issues (discussed in various threads on here) are obviously a concern, and I understand there has been no formal recall by Citroën, so my questions are: (1) is there anything to look out for when buying a used example to indicate whether this might be a problem or not? and (2) if a car has had the tank replaced, did Citroën replace them with improved units that resolved the problem, or is a new tank just as likely to fail as an original one?

Thanks