2.0 HDI C5 won't start

On tyres - there is much comment regarding X7 tyres in this forum, with several opinions - it isn't all Michelin.

I saved money by converting mine to Dunlop FM800. I don't have the extra large wheels. They perform very well and are in the recommended group. The Jax website can give a tyre price. Sometimes brands give a discount if you buy four. 19 inchers (Exclusive) aren't cheap.

... and you may also find it needs the rear bushes of the control arms etc..
Tyres and brakes are just wear items and you can easily get a cost on those. Query EAI for a guide on brake parts. Dealers also offer the Eurorepar range of parts which includes brakes parts, most fast moving items and some spheres. You can only ask them for a guide and compare with other options.
Does it need spheres because they are flat or the suspension cylinders all around due to leakage? Both? At the front the orange/yellow foam rubber at the top of the strut eventually wears out and the top of the strut can then turn, which they are not meant to do. You can't fix leakage other by replacement. For reference:
Front Cylinder RH 5271L6, LH 5271L5 $1K each Sphere 1638046680 $550 Alternate 1638377980 $220
Rear Cylinder 527299 $650 each. Sphere 1638045580 $300
Check eBay. The spheres last very well and so good used might be a sensible option.

When was the timing belt changed?
Check for leakage around the inlet / head cover as they are prone to oil leakage here and it's quite a lot of work to fix.
Does it slip / flare on a 2>3 upchange when hot? Check this as it may mean it requires a valve block.

If it's a clean example with just a few faults, it's worth spending some cash on to end up with an excellent vehicle.

... and you may also find it needs the rear bushes of the control arms etc..
Tyres and brakes are just wear items and you can easily get a cost on those. Query EAI for a guide on brake parts. Dealers also offer the Eurorepar range of parts which includes brakes parts, most fast moving items and come spheres. You can only ask them for a guide and compare with other options.
Does it need spheres because they are flat or the suspension cylinders all around due to leakage? Both? At the front the orange/yellow foam rubber at the top of the strut eventually wears out and the top of the strut can then turn, which they are not meant to do. You can't fix leakage other by replacement. For reference:
Front Cylinder RH 5271L6, LH 5271L5 $1K each Sphere 1638046680 $550 Alternate 1638377980 $220
Rear Cylinder 527299 $650 each. Sphere 1638045580 $300
Check eBay. The spheres last very well and so good used might be a sensible option.

When was the timing belt changed?
Check for leakage around the inlet / head cover as they are prone to oil leakage here and it's quite a lot of work to fix.
Does it slip / flare on a 2>3 upchange when hot? Check this as it may mean it requires a valve block.

If it's a clean example with just a few faults, it's worth spending some cash on to end up with an excellent vehicle.
Thanks, David. I pick it up Easter Sunday and will drive it home. It 80km away. After that I can go through it. The report was from a roadworthy place, so it may not all be gloom and doom. fifteen hundred for a 2012 X7 with less than 150,000 on the clock is still a good buy for me. I paid 2 grand for the old one I have, that was unregistered, needed a bit of work and had 256,000 on it.

Check the plastic spacer at the caliper end of each handbrake cable. When they collapse the electric handbrake unit usually ends up damaged, which is expensive to fix. There are a couple of threads about this.
You never know, the roadworthy place might simply have thought the suspension too soft and condemned it???
Someone might take on the old C5. It's worth offering rather than summarily sending it to the wrecker.

Hmm another C5 project... Carlo5 is close to retirement and may have space coming up to store. Let us know after your Easter you arrives

Check the plastic spacer at the caliper end of each handbrake cable. When they collapse the electric handbrake unit usually ends up damaged, which is expensive to fix. There are a couple of threads about this.
You never know, the roadworthy place might simply have thought the suspension too soft and condemned it???
Someone might take on the old C5. It's worth offering rather than summarily sending it to the wrecker.
David, I've been thinking the same thing about the suspension. The person who looked at it, said shock absorbers. We all know the suspension on these cars is soft and bounces. That means the spheres are good!

Hmm another C5 project... Carlo5 is close to retirement and may have space coming up to store. Let us know after your Easter you arrives
If you are interested in my old white X6 C5, let me know. So far, it has had the rear suspension bushes fixed, drivers side front end bushes replaced, alternator pulley replaced, all engine mounts replaced and a new drive shaft fitted on the passenger side front. It drives well, auto trans works well and was serviced 12 months ago. Battery is 2 years old. Tyres are good. currently registered to December 2024. No rust anywhere, and I'm open to offers.

Attachments

• 2007 Citroen C5 01.jpg
    2007 Citroen C5 01.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 2007 Citroen C5 02.jpg
    2007 Citroen C5 02.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 2007 Citroen C5 03.jpg
    2007 Citroen C5 03.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 27
Hi David,

I've just come back from another caravan trip, and have decided to get rid of that C5.
I've found a 2012 C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive with 127,000km on it for a very good price.
I suppose the X7 has similar problems, but at least it has less milage on it, and the same motor.
The older model that I have has done 260,000km and all sorts of things are going wrong with it.
Nothing like starting out with another "money pit" :LOL:
So please fill us in. What was the eventual diagnosis when Euroserve got it back ... or didn't they ?
I am in suspense. What could have gone so wrong that you decided to ditch the white C5 and take on another "mystery" ?

Ron fixed the original water-in-fuel problem himself, but needed a garage with Diagbox to do a catalyst refill.

So please fill us in. What was the eventual diagnosis when Euroserve got it back ... or didn't they ?
I am in suspense. What could have gone so wrong that you decided to ditch the white C5 and take on another "mystery" ?
I didn't take it into Euroserve. I went on a caravan trip, came back and decided to sell it. I suspect the problem is suspension bushes. If you do a right hand turn and plant the foot, there is no vibration. The Vibration is bad turning left under power and not as bad full ahead. To me that sound like a suspension issue.
I've had enough with that car!
Time to move on with a slightly later one with 120,000 less km on it, and hopefully less electrical glitches.

Ron fixed the original water-in-fuel problem himself, but needed a garage with Diagbox to do a catalyst refill.
Yes, a shot of injector/exhaust cleaner fluid has fixed all those problems. It now runs like a rocket.
I'm still using it until the later model one arrives. It starts immediately, chooses it's time to let the gear stick out of park, and runs quite smoothly until you apply a lot of power. :rolleyes:

You'll notice the extra 30 odd horse power in the new car. Check the timing belt was done - it was due at 10 years.

If any one is interested in buying this car, $500 and it is yours.
Tomorrow I'll know if Sam is prepared to give it a road worthy.
Somehow I doubt it. That drive line vibration on take off will probably kill it.