2.0 HDI C5 won't start

It just screws out, but with much effort. Some people use a notched socket for better fit.

The seal is an O ring, that is supplied with the filter, and with time it holds the cap like very tough glue. You may need a breaker bar or similar. I use a length of steel pipe as an extra lever.

When refitting it is essential to oil the new O ring or it will deform and leak. Screwing back on also needs force because of the ring. The longer it stays there the harder it gets.

Do you have any idea when this was last opened?

Later engines, eg RHH, abandoned this system.
Okay, I don't think this has been off in many years. I do have a much longer bar. The "Notched" Socket is the one I went out and purchased.
Many thanks, mate :)

It stripped the thread even with a proper fitting socket. I think I may have to cut notches out of that long socket so I can get it to go down the sides as well. Then it will have better grip.

Ron,

I have a notched six sided 27mm socket if you need to borrow it.

Cheers, Ken

Hi Guys, It's off!
The idea I had worked.
I cut two sections out of a long 27mm socket, and it did the job, immediately with no slipping, of course.
Pics attached

Attachments

• Fuel Filter Socket 01.jpg
    Fuel Filter Socket 01.jpg
    691.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Fuel Filter Socket 02.jpg
    Fuel Filter Socket 02.jpg
    698.6 KB · Views: 37
I'll bet that gave you a work-out. As shown in the video, screwing back uses force too. Never forget to oil the ring.

Note how the video bleeds and hand pumps afterwards.

I'll bet that gave you a work-out. As shown in the video, screwing back uses force too. Never forget to oil the ring.

Note how the video bleeds and hand pumps afterwards.
Yes, all good. Cleaned everything, put the new filter back it, primed it and she fired up and ran like a charm. What is the eloys that I need to put in the DPF tank?

No worse LOL
I freely admit to knowing nothing about modern diesel engines. I'd prefer to get an exhaust place to cut the DPF out and save all the problems. The black smoke that comes out the back then, will make people think I put a Nissan Diesel motor in it. The early 1978 Golf GLD we had, did not have this problem, and neither did the 2002 Discovery TD5. I guess our 2017 VW Touareg does, but I leave servicing etc, to Barvarian Motor Service. This Citroen is a cheap run a bout that I bought for 2 grand. When it completely fails, it will go to the dump.

Excellent news. It might be a good idea to look at the filter drain again soon in case it has trapped any more water from residue in lines or tank. You don't need to take the lid off, because that needs a new O ring.

The correct additive fluid can be found by looking at the colour of the connections to the underfloor tank. There is a ton of stuff here in AF about it, but to absolutely sure, ring EAI in Sydney, 02 9481 8400, on Monday armed with your VIN. They can supply the correct fluid you need at a reasonable cost.

You fill the tank by connecting the tube supplied with the bottle, and letting it run in. Keep it off your skin. Again, this has been discussed in AF.

When finished you will need Lexia or Diagbox to reset the computer, as it will still think it is empty.

Last edited:
I missed the last post. There is nothing much to be gained by removing the DPF. Citroen's version actually works.

Even if the garage does the additive, still check with EAI so you know what type is needed. Can Bavarian do the computer reset?

I missed the last post. There is nothing much to be gained by removing the DPF. Citroen's version actually works.

Even if the garage does the additive, still check with EAI so you know what type is needed. Can Bavarian do the computer reset?
I don't think they so. Not unless it has a similar system to MB, AUDI, VW, BMW. They are the vehicle they specialize in. Euroserve in Newstead would be able to. I take it there to get serious work done that I'm too old, and not nimble enough to do anymore :sneaky:

The CCCQ has a Diagbox System that would be able to reset the Eolys Counter.

Cheers Ken

Euroserve can reset at a minimum charge, but book it in and advise that's all you need done. Friendly enough to do this reset. But as suggested make sure you order the correct fluid

Euroserve can reset at a minimum charge, but book it in and advise that's all you need done. Friendly enough to do this reset. But as suggested make sure you order the correct fluid
Maybe I should just let them put the stuff in.

EAI can sell you an aftermarket additive product in 1lt bottles that claims to suit multiple versions. It's less expensive than the factory Eolys product, which for this model will be a 3lt refill kit. You need a diagnostic tool to set the initial amount in the tank because it has no level sensor and only estimates how much remains over time. It is likely sensible to pass this job to Euroserve then.

EAI can sell you an aftermarket additive product in 1lt bottles that claims to suit multiple versions. It's less expensive than the factory Eolys product, which for this model will be a 3lt refill kit. You need a diagnostic tool to set the initial amount in the tank because it has no level sensor and only estimates how much remains over time. It is likely sensible to pass this job to Euroserve then.
David, If the car says it is low on that fluid, and I add some to it, will it still work or does it have to be reset to keep operating? Sorry If I sound like a brainless idiot, I have no knowledge on this type of thing.

Ron, as an 'owner' you are not expected to be across a system that is a lifetime fill for many examples and usually not needing attention for 100,000 miles or more. Simply adding fluid will not be enough as the car has no way of knowing the actual level of Eolys in the tank and this is why the ECU must be given the initial fill quantity. The rigid tank in your C5 is to the left of the fuel tank under the LHR passenger position - access from under car and under an aluminium protector shield.