2.0 HDI C5 won't start

Ron McGr

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Tadpole
Tadpole
Hi Guys,
Yesterday we went for a run in the 2006 C5 Hdi. It ran well but appeared to lack power, then developed a flat spot on acceleration. Got home okay and this arvo I tried to start it. It fired up running on three cylinders and then made a horrid knocking sound in the one not working. Turned it off and tried again, complete fail. Kicks over, runs on two cyl and stops.

Is this possibly a diesel fuel pressure problem. ?
I checked the air cleaner, no problems with the air, so I guess it is fuel.

Any ideas?

Given that you can also feel a type of flapping coming from the drive line on take off, this thing is looking good for the scrap heap
I replaced the left side drive shaft with a brand new one ($600 odd) and now think the right hand side has gone.

Cheers,
Ron

BTW No problems with the 5CV, runs like a clock. Far to simple not to.

Bad diesel, i.e. water in the filter maybe. Open the filter drain. Re Prime, if not the external pump type turn ignition on and off about 20 times.

Lack of power will be a vacuum leak.

Confirm engine model from VIN

Thanks for that. I doubt it is bad diesel.
VIN/Chassis: VF7RCRHRJ76794599 Engine no: DYVM4006719
Vehicle has done 258,000km, doesn't use any oil and has been running very well up till now. Has half a tank of diesel in it.

Is the filter recent? Can you pump fuel around with the bulb?
The RH engine mount tends to shear off the bolt, so check that. The 'dogbone' at the top RH mount and the lower rear torque link bush can also fail and result in the feeling of the drivetrain 'walking'.
The driveshafts on some of these could have a displaced spring in the inner joint if extended too far or angled too mush during repair work. If it is then crushed, you get a vibration, especially on sweeping bends.
RHR - 1) For being gutless, check the turbo vacuum piping and 2) for non-starting consider the EGR valve. You can slide a piece of sheet under it to isolate it as it won't start if it's dropped the head of the valve or the actuator arm broke off (look under the cover).

Is the filter recent? Can you pump fuel around with the bulb?
The RH engine mount tends to shear off the bolt, so check that. The 'dogbone' at the top RH mount and the lower rear torque link bush can also fail and result in the feeling of the drivetrain 'walking'.
The driveshafts on some of these could have a displaced spring in the inner joint if extended too far or angled too mush during repair work. If it is then crushed, you get a vibration, especially on sweeping bends.
RHR - 1) For being gutless, check the turbo vacuum piping and 2) for non-starting consider the EGR valve. You can slide a piece of sheet under it to isolate it as it won't start if it's dropped the head of the valve or the actuator arm broke off (look under the cover).
Thanks, David. I'll check it tomorrow. I did squeeze the bulb and it was hard as. The vibration feels like a wheel flapping through the steering wheel when tacking off. Once the car is coasting it is as smooth as. Put the foot down and you can feel something shaking again, more so through the floor.

Ron,
One tank and bad Diesel can cause the fuel filter to clog and stop passing fuel.

Have you checked the lay shaft bearing on the RHS driveshaft to see if it has any motion or has failed or come loose?

Cheers, Ken

Dave,

Thanks for the EGR valve suggestion. I don't recall that cause coming up on AF before but I will store it away for the day I have a non-starter.

It is great having you comment on the threads so keep it up please.

Cheers, Ken

Latest update. It is a fuel delivery problem. Pump the fuel bulb and it starts and stops on 3 cylinders. Start again, nothing. I took the fuel lead off the fuel outlet from the filter, nothing. I'm guessing the fuel pump has ceased to operate. Where is the the pump located?

Most likely in the tank with access from under the squab of the back seat. So check there.

Check to see if you have 12 volts there as it could be a blown fuse or a burnt connection on a plug at the BSM.

There are lots of posts about this sort of a problem on AF you can search for and check.

Cheers, Ken

Dave,

Thanks for the EGR valve suggestion. I don't recall that cause coming up on AF before but I will store it away for the day I have a non-starter.

It is great having you comment on the threads so keep it up please.

Cheers, Ken
EGR is blocked off on this car.
Most likely in the tank with access from under the squab of the back seat. So check there.

Check to see if you have 12 volts there as it could be a blown fuse or a burnt connection on a plug at the BSM.

There are lots of posts about this sort of a problem on AF you can search for and check.

Cheers, Ken
Many thanks, Ken

I'm guessing this issue continues from series I C5 until series III and issue corrected on the C5X??

Cheers, Ken

No,gents, this C5 draws fuel from the tank via vacuum. No electric pump as in the pre-facelift cars and 4 speed C5 2.2HDs <06. If it is not drawing fuel and it is not down to the filter or an air leak, then the tank could be under vacuum due to a blocked vent (wasp?) or the pickup is obstructed by debris, including excess Eolys.

No,gents, this C5 draws fuel from the tank via vacuum. No electric pump as in the pre-facelift cars and 4 speed C5 2.2HDs <06. If it is not drawing fuel and it is not down to the filter or an air leak, then the tank could be under vacuum due to a blocked vent (wasp?) or the pickup is obstructed by debris, including excess Eolys.
David, the car is actually a 2007 C5, last one prior to the face lift model. Basically the same as a 2006 2ltr Hdi. Is this one electric or vacuum?

1709000013258.png

This is a picture of the fuel sender unit in my C5. Looks electric to me
Fuel sender .jpg

looks that way to me also ,if its anything like the peugeot im familiar with this is only a lift pump and turns on for a short period when ignition is turned on so have someone look at the test light attached to the pos wire when the ignition is turned on ,you should be able to feeel the pump working also ,i seen to recall that there is a pipe between the pump and the outlet, in the tank , that falls to bits and although the pump is operating there is no delivery you could also remove the outlet conection and see if you have fuel comeing out there ,or pull the complete thing out have a squiz ,do a search i think after market pumps have been used to fix pump problems ,PS is there fuel going into the filter ,the filter housing may have water in it blocking fuel flow ,!