1972 Citroën D Special- "Celia"

Chris,

I was actually wondering where this went! Celia is missing her mirror.. can you take a photo of yours at some point so I know exactly which one I should be looking for?

Toby

As long as you have the correct dash for a '72 D Special, this should be what you are looking for.

878_item_pict_2034-0750.jpg

http://www.citroworld.com/tableaux/index.php?pageId=24&catId=107&returnId=77&itemId=878

Cheers
Chris

Hi Toby

just a thought with the speedo, as I have done the same thing with my car. Is your car still registered? They like the mileage to be consecutive... my car came from interstate so I had to blue slip it... so it didn't matter that I zero'd my counter before installation. If your car is still registered maybe you need to adjust the counter to match the old one.. it's very easy, you can gently rotate the number barrels with a screw driver.

Matthew :)

Matthew,

I wouldn't have thought of that! It is sill registered (has been continuously for the last 40 years!) so I better do that.

You mean just adjust the odometer while it's all assembled and just "rotate" the kilometer reading? Or do I need to disassemble anything..?

Thanks again!

Toby

When you put the binnacle back in, do not pretend you're an apprentice when tightening those four screws. Just nip them up. If you tighten them too much you will snap off the corner of the binnacle. And I don't speak from personal experience:)

Craig is so right...! The screws on my 71 are only barely in there. Only just enough to stop the screws unscrewing...

Cheers,

Mark....:)

I recall that Jenny's partner at the time was a panel beater or painter, and he had a lot to do with the respray. (Come on Mort or DS, help me out here!) He also polished the rocker cover.

If you're going to pull the radiator out you may as well consider replacing the belts and lower radiator hoses at the same time - unless you know they are good.

Cleaning with kero and a brush and rags would probably be best.

Ive only just seen this thread.
The car is/was a single throat solex DSpecial 71/72. I can remember it in White Meije with a black vinyl interior (small bolt on arm rests) that was ripped and split in lots of places - typical fate in Aussie conditions.
I cant remember what Jenny named it, ErIC springs to mind...
I believe the interior trim was replaced - it might have since been swapped for something else of course ...
The car was very strong to drive with a quiet top gear - even with a sinlge throat. It had rust in the usual places but nothing deadly. Door panels were suffering several attempts to bog up rust from the past - nothing unusual given NSW RTA concern with even the smallest rust bubble causing inspectors to demand it be 'fixed'. The Car was very loved by Jenny and she had it painted in the light yellow with rust repairs and it came out very good. The rocker cover was mirror polished and the engine bay was very nicely steam cleaned.

Keep the original plates. they belong to the car. Apart from anything it shows its ALWAYS been registered - despite the repaints, retrims, and renewal.
:2cents::wink2:

Well.. I've dropped the radiator in to alexandria radiators for them to fit a thermofan switch. Apparently for about $85 you can buy an adjustable switch which they're going to mount in the top tank for me.

This way I can set the fan to switch on, hopefully, at a low enough temperature.

If not, then I'll have to find another death fan. Mine is missing half a blade- can't be good for the water pump to be swinging something that far out of balance. I'll give Roger a call and see if he's got anything.. If he does then I'll grab it and fit that too like you suggested Chris. And yeah, I bought a slimline fan so the death fan would still fit without an issue. At least I've always got that as an out.

We shall see.

For what this is worth, my advise is to replace it as it was designed and work from there.
There are planty of fans around to replace one with a missing blade. or buy a new one online from Europe...
An engine driven fan spins WITH the speed of the engine thus keeping pace with it - always. An electric fan does not.

Remember even on the hot DS23's there was an engine driven fan and the electric fan only ever kicks in when sitting in traffic. On the open road its never on. its just an aux option for heat build up.:2cents:

Yeah, I think that's what I'll do.

Anyone got a link to where I can buy a fan? I can't find them anywhere!

Not much (well nothing) had been done on Celia for a week or so.. Busy time. Ill try to get something done this afternoon after work!

The model spec you have is not a model that suffers from over heating. I'm puzzled why you would jump straight into doing modifications (that actually won't work btw) before having the car up and useable and knowing what it does on a hot day?

The model spec you have is not a model that suffers from over heating. I'm puzzled why you would jump straight into doing modifications (that actually won't work btw) before having the car up and useable and knowing what it does on a hot day?

They weren't intended as modifications- just the cheapest & simplest way of getting it back on the road.

I can't find a new mechanical fan, hence the electric one.

To repair my old radiator was considerably more expensive than this one. I will get it done some day.

Thanks for the help guys. To be honest I haven't touched her in over a week- motivation is waning and I've got some pretty big life stuff going on.

Ill get back on track soon.

Did you try Western Hemispheres? They did list the fans new and used. An ideal time to be buying ex-USA given the strong dollar.
Roger Parker couldn't help?
It'd be surprising if none of the European vendors can find one. Not even Citroen Andre (Andre Pol)?

I can make an original 8 blade fan available.
In good condition,still flexible. One tiny split (repaired) about 10mm long in an arc at the base of a blade. Unlikely to give trouble. The extent or size of the crack is visible in the image showing the back side of the fan. it is at the base of the blade at approx. 2 o'clock.
Close up shot of split in one of the images, bigger than lifesize.
Was fitted to a DS21 engine.

Please let me know by PM or email if it is suitable.

Attachments

• Citroen 8 blade engine fan DS21 001_400x600.JPG
    Citroen 8 blade engine fan DS21 001_400x600.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 450
  • Citroen 8 blade engine fan DS21 002_800x533.JPG
    Citroen 8 blade engine fan DS21 002_800x533.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 565
  • Citroen 8 blade engine fan DS21 003_400x600.JPG
    Citroen 8 blade engine fan DS21 003_400x600.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 465
Richo,

PM'd. Thanks so much- That'll be awesome to have!

So, another order from Citroworld turned up the other day and I had a chance to pick it up today. It's only half of what I ordered (it was kindly split over multiple boxes/invoices to avoid import tarrifs) but it's motivational nonetheless.

I fitted the new front indicator lens assemblys quickly before- wow! What an improvement! I'll have some chance of getting a pink slip to have her re-registered in March now. My spheres also arrived, must be the exhaust parts in the next package.

I'm thinking of actually trailering it out to Citromet to have the spheres changed; it's not really something I feel like tackling in the garage (I really cant afford for her to be totally immobilised and have LHM all over the floor!). I was planning to have the panelwork done by now and be able to drive it out but I'd like to get the mechanical stuff done so when the panels are ready she'll be ready to drive a little.. Thoughts? Maybe I should just wait; I'm sure he could have it done in a day or two in either case.

Work on the car has been very, very slow (ie. non-existant) over the last few weeks; blame a lack of motivation, time and finances for that. Significant life changes occuring now and for the next few weeks. Once it's all back to normal maybe I'll feel like doing something. I'll feel good once this radiator debacle is solved and I've got a mechanical fan to put back on too.

Annoyed I wasted the money doing the thermofan thing properly. I'm so tempted to remove it completely now. I'm sure I don't need it anyway and it'll only impede the efficiency of the death fan anyway. I'll see how I feel.

Oh yeah.. Has anyone in Sydney got a rear drivers door & a bootlid (condition really unimportant) I could buy/use so I can move her around until my panelwork is completed? Not having a car is making things very difficult...

Thanks again and sorry for the lack of progress!

Some pics of the new indicator lenses fitted. Once the rust in the guards is fixed the front will look really, really nice :)
IMG_1977.jpgIMG_1979.jpgIMG_1980.jpg

Spheres are fairly easy to change. You depressurise the system by lowering it to minimum height and then undo the regulator bleed screw half a turn to release the pressure in the accumulator. You will need a strap wrench of some kind and rags to catch the fluid that will leak when you remove the spheres. Sometimes spheres can be undone by hand, which is fine as they don't need to be overly tight. Obviously, you need to jack the back a little and you don't even need to remove the rear guards. The accumulator is a little more of a fiddle as it's not easy to get at without removing the regulator. Someone who knows what to do would have a full set of spheres changed and cleaned up well inside an hour. It's worth having a go yourself. Start with the front.

Annoyed I wasted the money doing the thermofan thing properly. I'm so tempted to remove it completely now. I'm sure I don't need it anyway and it'll only impede the efficiency of the death fan anyway. I'll see how I feel.

Well friendly advice and regular technical days are also what the CCCNSW can offer you...

!!!!!

How does the speedo cable join separate!?!

It's driving me nuts!View attachment 37492

That's not the speedo cable :)

The spedeo cable is quite thin by comparison, the join under the bonnet should be around where the sphere sits usually a grey cable with a brass knurled male female connection - just unscrew to separate.

Cheers
Chris

Thanks Chris.

I thought this may be the clutch cable when I started but it's not- what is it?

Ill go and look for the real speedo cable now.

Oh and while you're imparting wisdom- do you know the easiest way to get the exhaust downpipe off? From the top or bottom..? I can't see how it can be done with the manifold still on :-(