1972 Citroën D Special- "Celia"

Thanks Sven..!

I've been watching your thread with interest- great work and the experience is certainly one to be savoured!

Work always gets in the way, another reason progress has been a little slower for me of late. Still, provides a nice respite from the stresses and challenges of working life!

Best of luck.. We'll have to compare notes as we go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make sure you check the runout before refitting the discs; I would have put everything back together and had the same problem!

Hi Toby,

Great work - it must be very satisfying to get such a great result in the end.

Can you elude as to how you went about measuring the runout...? Was there an off the shelf dial gauge which can be fixed in place to do this job properly....?

Many thanks in advance,

Mark...:)

1972 Citroën D Special- "Celia"

Can you elude as to how you went about measuring the runout...? Was there an off the shelf dial gauge which can be fixed in place to do this properly...

Certainly!

I used a dial gauge- first time I'd used one actually!

The 814 manual has a description on how to make the bracket up to hold the gauge; the fixture attaches to the handbrake caliper mounting holes on the gearbox.

I'll confess- I decided I knew better than Monsieur Lefebre.. I made one up which bolts to the caliper mounting holes on the gearbox as I had the calipers removed. Mine was much simpler- really just a "U" shaped piece of 1.5mm steel plate with holes in the appropriate place.

I guess the positive with the more complex factory bracket is that it could be used with the brake calipers in situ, theoretically to measure the runout of the discs with everything bar the handbrake calipers in place.. This way you could actually check if they were warped for diagnosis purposes.

How you actually remove the handbrake caliper with everything else still in the car is anyone's guess.. It was traumatic enough with everything removed!

Let me know if you want some pictures and I'll take one of my bracket to post.

Hope this helps!

Hi Toby,

Great work - it must be very satisfying to get such a great result in the end.

Can you elude as to how you went about measuring the runout...? Was there an off the shelf dial gauge which can be fixed in place to do this job properly....?

Many thanks in advance,

Mark...:)

Mark,
My dial gauge has magnetic base and should be able to attach to the chassis, would this give you the same accuracy as fixing to the gearbox? You are welcome to loan if you think it suitable. :wink2:

Toby,
I'm impressed with your industry, huge effort there :approve:

Cheers
Chris

Mark,
My dial gauge has magnetic base and should be able to attach to the chassis, would this give you the same accuracy as fixing to the gearbox?

Chris,

The issue would be getting it to fit over the brake disc.. The bracket needs to be very precise in its length in order to have the dial gauge situated correctly.

I'm not saying you couldn't fit it on the chassis rail, but a) I'd seriously question whether the magnet would be strong enough to hold the gauge as it dragged on the disc, and b) it would be quite seriously lucky for the length of the mounting magnet and dial gauge to be correct and position the gauge over the disc..

The magnet mounted gauge could, however, come in quite handy even to mount it on the handbrake caliper (presuming you fitted these first).

Worth a go if you've got one with the magnet mount..!

Chris,

The issue would be getting it to fit over the brake disc.. The bracket needs to be very precise in its length in order to have the dial gauge situated correctly.

I'm not saying you couldn't fit it on the chassis rail, but a) I'd seriously question whether the magnet would be strong enough to hold the gauge as it dragged on the disc, and b) it would be quite seriously lucky for the length of the mounting magnet and dial gauge to be correct and position the gauge over the disc..

The magnet mounted gauge could, however, come in quite handy even to mount it on the handbrake caliper (presuming you fitted these first).

Worth a go if you've got one with the magnet mount..!

I really don't know Toby,
The magnet is extremely strong, I can hardly budge the base when it is attached to steel plate (or the like), it has a release which must mechanically lift the magnet. I think the question would be if there is room to have the base attached to the chassis. There is plenty of adjustment to get the probe to connect with the top of the disk, and no way the base would move whilst taking the measurement. The magnetic base can be removed, so at worst a bracket would have to be made and the gauge fixed as in 814.

A little academic for me, as I hope it will be a good while before I fit new disks. I do have to swap in a steering rack so may be able to investigate when there is better access. I'm hoping for the same when aligning the steering column :confused:

attachment.php

Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• Dial Indicator.jpg
    Dial Indicator.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 690
Ah ok! Now I see!

That would work a treat, I'm sure! I was imagining a normal dial gauge with a magnet on the bottom! What a useful tool!

I'm sure they'll be ok, mine had next to no wear but we're warped/contaminated..

Good luck! Ps.. Where'd you get the dial gauge? It's awesome!