1972 Citroën D Special- "Celia"

renault12

Fellow Frogger
Hey guys!

I'm not a big forumer; hung out on here and posted occasionally over the years so you'll have to excuse me for being a relative unknown!

Anyway, I've bitten the bullet and bought myself a D. Always wanted one- Not requiring a car as daily transport has finally provided me with the right time for a car like Celia (named by the girlfriend..!).

So.. Mainly starting this thread to document, share and provide a bit of history to my work over years to come. May not be to everyone's liking (or standard) but I'll give most things a go and hope to have a "period" car in terms of originality that'll be up to lasting another 40 years!

Mainly focusing on long term.. I'm a fan of doing something once and doing it properly, so budget can slow things down at times!

Anyhow, here's the car as I bought it. Some of you may have seen it on carsales; it was the ideal start to my project- registered, running and in generally clean condition. I can't really undertake a massive restoration of a total wreck given my facilities and requirement for a running car in the fairly near future so I was after a car I can work on a sort of rolling restoration basis.

Took her for a drive to katoomba the very next day; what a pleasure! I thought my BX 16v rode well!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352715251.254791.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1352715282.368847.jpg

So; I've been soldiering on for a few months now, making progress. Slowly, but progress nonetheless. It's a solid learning experience; teaching myself metalwork and welding as I go!

So- from my disassembly and inspection, she's a pretty solid car. Had plenty of work over the years to keep her going (on the road continuously for last 40 years!) but obviously needs some pretty serious tidying up to meet my standards and requirements.

So- first was to disassemble the front end after discovering serious rust in the numberplate panel.. Signs of things to come...!

All disassembled and I discovered the front of the sills and crossmember (guess that's what it's called..?) were seriously rusty.

Repair time. I cut out all the rusted sill, bought myself some 1.6mm steel and set about fabricating some repair panels and protecting the sills from further rust.. Liberal application of cavity wax while all was apart.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352716164.301411.jpg
The old front crossmember. Surprised to find so much rust here.. Is this a common spot?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352715688.939083.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352715787.318494.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1352715893.921679.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352715986.617524.jpg

Time to spend some money. Citroworld have been great; the crossmember wasn't listed, but an email and the part was listed and bought. I bought a new numberplate panel and some supplies for phase 2 (repainting and sealing the roof).

Anyhow, they turned up the other day! So, I spent my spare time polishing the front bumper using a josco polishing kit from bunnings- HORRENDOUSLY time consuming but really happy with the results! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352716389.036678.jpg

I spent the last few days fitting up re front section and welding in the crossmember. I got the numberplate panel painted at scientific motor body works in rose bay for $100- amazed at the quality; thanks guys! Needed plenty of high-fill to get the finish they did! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352716524.761882.jpg

Here's the crossmember installed after seam sealing and before paint:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352716637.057482.jpg

Last edited:
After I've painted it all up.. I'm proud of my efforts actually..!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352717147.136175.jpg

Oh yeah.. While it was all apart, I dropped a bunch of stuff from the front area I disassembled into the sandblaster! No point putting dirty, rusty stuff back (that attitude costs a lot of money... Don't tell my girlfriend..!)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352717266.469855.jpg

Reassembly time..! Test fitting everything and this is about where it stands now. Had to work a bit over the last few days so not a whole lot of time. Getting there though and I'm pretty happy with what I've done here so far!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352717493.133764.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352717546.282593.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1352717583.718277.jpg

I've ordered a new exhaust and spheres from citroworld; these spheres are flat and the exhaust is well past it's best.. I'd guess less than 10% of the gases actually make it out the rear tailpipes...!

The interior needs major work.. 40 years of wear, carpet is non original, seats need to be retrimmed etc. At least the dashboard is perfect, everything works and nothing is missing. I've quickly learnt that to replace things becomes very expensive...!

I'll post some pics when I get to it. I've started the panel work with the worst panels.. Bootlid and rear passenger door. I'll post some more pictures tomorrow and as I progress. I'm hoping to have her back on the road by new year.

Its an exciting experience though and the satisfaction of owning such a special car just adds to the pleasure; I can't wait until it's driveable!

I'll be after heaps of help and advice as I progress; I'm still unsure as to which direction I'll take the resto, at the moment I'll just focus on protecting, repairing and cleaning up the important stuff.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your acquisition. You look like you are doing a great job on the restoration. Look forward to the updates as you progress.

Thanks! It's exciting to have someone to share my progress with.. People at work and friends wonder why you'd bother but opening the garage door makes me smile every time. An amazing car!

So- panel work.

The car was resprayed about 10 years ago and is still very respectable. A few panels are worse for wear; the rear drivers door is rusty, the bootlid (under the seal) is bubbling and the front guards around the indicators is quite bubbly and rusty.

I hate rust. It makes me feel all nervous.. Like the car is on borrowed time. So whatever I do, removing rust properly and rustproofing is number 1 on the agenda. If it costs a little more, then so be it- I'd rather do it properly. The car will be garaged and driven only on lovely days so in figuring a proper repair and well maintained should last almost forever.

The bootlid.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352719513.357571.jpg
This is with rust converter all over and the paint taken off with a paint removing disc. Luckily, my best friend is a panel beater. Unluckily, he lives in Melbourne and I now live in Sydney. Logistics are hard.. But having that help is very fortunate- without it, my budget would have to triple.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352719654.387421.jpg
The bootlid was covered in surface rust all over (invisible under the paint) as well as some minor bubbling on the bottom edge.

We drilled all the spot welds and removed the inner reinforcement to expose yet more rust and enable a proper repair.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352719827.605723.jpg

We then etch primed it all to stop any rust until we could continue the repairs. Should come up well though and at least I'll know all the rust is gone!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352720124.465136.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352720205.434572.jpg
Even my cat Abigail gets excited when a citroworld delivery arrives!

Question for the popular vote: I really like the yellow (although not the original colour) and was drawn to the car as a result.. I really think it suits the fun aspect of the D special and looks good on the lines of the car.

The original colour is white: AC088LE.

What are people's thoughts..? Originality and paint her white, or keep the yellow? I'm kind of planning a panel-by-panel repaint so the white is considerably more difficult from that perspective and I definitely prefer the yellow but the Appeal of an original colour is there too I guess...

All you guys on here are so inspirational and drive the quality of my work (which is no where near what you guys are doing but motivational nonetheless) and much of it is fastidiously original.. Will my car be looked down on for being a "period" restoration rather than authentic on all counts..?

Congratulations, looks like you are doing some nice work there. I met that car some time ago and it is probably a good basis for what you want to do. It also has a history with the Citroen Car Club NSW as you probably already know. I am sure someone will be along soon who knows the details.

I believe the suspension spheres fitted to that car are the older split type which are generally considered to be better than the later one piece types. Those split spheres can be rebuilt so don't throw them out after you get the new ones. (If you don't want them I'll buy them from you :) )

Have you had all the panels off the car yet? In a matter of hours you can get it back to nearly a bare frame and really see what needs doing. No harder to do that a big Meccano set.

The roof takes longer to remove and replace. You are aware that the DS had two different roof sealing methods? Bolted and bonded. I re-fixed my later bonded roof using a Sikaflex adhesive. The rubber "seal" that finishes between the gutter and roof panel does not in fact do much sealing as it is more decorative.

Good luck. We all look forward to progress reports. Just ask if you have any questions.

Last edited:
Yes I recognise that car too. A previous owner was at the time the Secretary of CCCNSW - some years ago.

Ah, the colour question, original for year against personal preference. Tough one.

I must start by saying I painted my 73 Pallas in an "original" colour, but not the same as it was built with, I chose another from the same year. Unfortunately my choices were all a bit boring, but then the DS23 Pallas was a bourgeois '70's car and a long way from the light, lithe DS19 of 1956. The colour choices for 1972 were similarly restrained:

http://www.nuancierds.fr/1972.htm

On the other hand the D Special is much closer to the original design and looks great in the earlier colours. There was a great yellow precedent in 1958-59 in Jonquille

http://www.nuancierds.fr/AC 305 Jonquille.htm

But at the end of the day it is your choice and if you plan to keep the car for some time then just chose a colour that makes you happy. No need to ask others opinions.:)

Last edited:
Might be worth wipping off the front guards for a look at suspension boots and bump stops, theres a good chance they're cactus but leaks will prove it anyway if its suspect, these resto threads are g'ing me on, I have to get mine up on stands soon so I can begin sorting engine bay out, repainting and replacing, its a filthy sad mess in there...had a burst of sandblasting repainting but ground to a halt, the biggest thing is timing, having diagnosis for repairs and parts ready for methodical repair, I have a habit of dissassembly, stuffing around with getting bits, car sitting with pile of spares, worse still once you start then everything comes under scrutiny and the findings tend to be negative, but good on you for tackling the beasty, they are slightly obssessive objects!

Yeah, the car belonged to Jenny an was purchased by Dan a few years back. I bought the car of Dan as he was relocating overseas for employment.

UFO I thought you'd know more on the history of the car; I must join the CCCNSW- when is the next meeting?

The roof is the bolt on type. There was rust in the roof rails (noted in the original ad by Jenny all those years back) which Dan has kindly repaired. Only issue is he fabricated the roof rails himself and they don't have the little "lip" to secure the door seals.

I'll order new rails from citroworld and while the roof is off being painted I'm planning on replacing them all with new parts so it all fits properly. I've bought all the seals etc so will get on to it in the fulness of time; main issue is lack of a suitable helper.. Kate is willing to help but probably a bit small is stature to manhandle the roof around the small confines of my garage.

Michael; the front spheres have been replaced with CX spheres but I have all the original 2 piece spheres which I'll get rebuilt by Richo once they're off- for €30 a sphere I bought a new set from citroworld which I'll use while the others are being refurbed.

I'm reluctant to pull the entire car apart (and I convinced myself buying the car that I wouldn't do that; more work through section by section doing things properly as I go). I really don't want the car to be in pieces for years on end. I've had a pretty thorough inspection and the hull looks reasonable but I'm sure there are always more suprises...!

Thanks for the Help regarding colour; I think I'll stick with the yellow at this stage. Nothing is forever after all!

One thing that bothers me is that the C pillar corrugated aluminum trims are looking rather sad and are quite badly dented and damaged.

Anyone got a set or know where I can get them repaired? Thanks for the motivation everyone, can't wait to get involved with the club and meet you all face to face!

UFO I thought you'd know more on the history of the car; I must join the CCCNSW- when is the next meeting?

Thanks for the Help regarding colour; I think I'll stick with the yellow at this stage. Nothing is forever after all!

One thing that bothers me is that the C pillar corrugated aluminum trims are looking rather sad and are quite badly dented and damaged.

Anyone got a set or know where I can get them repaired? Thanks for the motivation everyone, can't wait to get involved with the club and meet you all face to face!

Joining the CCCNSW will be the best investment you will make in your car, as well as the shared knowledge, tech days, they have a library of tools available.

That yellow will look stunning once freshened up, the D can handle most colours, you only have yourself and your GF to please, as you say nothing is forever, it gets my vote :)

C-pillar trim can be carefully worked from behind, I've used the back of a tea-spoon into the grooves with some success. I have managed to get a set NOS via ebay, they do come up from time to time. If you have no success my original set are now not too bad but would respond well to anodising to finish them off, have a go at straightening yours, if you are not happy get back in touch.

Cheers
Chris

Chris,

Thanks very much. Your thread(s) have been inspirational, they've done much to show me what can be done if you're willing to give it a go.. In fact it was your experiences that convinced me to buy a welder and give it a go.

I'll make sure I join the CCCNSW; I'm going to need all the help I can get!

As for the C pillar trims, they're in a seriously bad way, they're "torn" around the edges too so I think I'll be in touch sooner rather than later. I thought about repairing them as well as I can and that's still the backup plan but it'd be great to start from something a little better.

Thanks all- yellow it is! I've made a little more progress; the bumper is ready to go back together.

The center rubber is fine except the bracket moulded into the back is rusted and fell off the rubber when I dismantled it.

So- last nights project involved rust killing, etch priming and painting before re-attaching the bracket with some sikaflex 227.

Should be fine for many years to come (and now I can fully re-assemble the bumper!)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352768725.362795.jpg

That's tonight's job- time to do a few hours real work!

Chris,

Thanks very much. Your thread(s) have been inspirational, they've done much to show me what can be done if you're willing to give it a go.. In fact it was your experiences that convinced me to buy a welder and give it a go.

As for the C pillar trims, they're in a seriously bad way, they're "torn" around the edges too so I think I'll be in touch sooner rather than later. I thought about repairing them as well as I can and that's still the backup plan but it'd be great to start from something a little better.

Ok, in my pursuit for a pair of NOS C-Pillar outer trims I have ended up with spares of one side, not sure which I'll have to check. I would have to get something back as these cost me a motsa $$. The used trim could be donated to a worthy cause :)

Mnm, I'm a little too attached. She's a little champion and enjoys assisting in the resto..!

You really need a cat if you are serious about these projects, they have a really logical mind especially when it comes to putting things back together, sadly Tim (my cat) overworked on my project and didn't get to see the finish... the way I'm going I too may be lucky :clown:

attachment.php

Cheers
Chris

Celia

congratulations

trust that you will enjoy the journey, and joining the club will provide you with the company of having a like minded people bent about these remarkable motoring ICONS.

great cat !

Ok, in my pursuit for a pair of NOS C-Pillar outer trims I have ended up with spares of one side, not sure which I'll have to check. I would have to get something back as these cost me a motsa $$. The used trim could be donated to a worthy cause :)

You really need a cat if you are serious about these projects, they have a really logical mind especially when it comes to putting things back together, sadly Tim (my cat) overworked on my project and didn't get to see the finish... the way I'm going I too may be lucky :clown:
Cheers
Chris

Chris,

That would be great. I'll send you a PM, definitely not taking anything for free; i've learnt how expensive these things tend to be! Thanks very much, that'll take a significant weight off; I hate knowing I have to buy things that are unobtainable...! I'm really surprised none of the aftermarket suppliers make these panels! I've only found Pallas ones and they're obviously no good on Celia. Bit like me wearing a pearl necklace...!

Shame to hear about your helper... I'm a pretty laid back kinda guy but I'd be devastated if the same happened to Abigail...

Thanks again; I really appreciate it!

Cheers,

Toby

Last edited:
Mnm, I'm a little too attached. She's a little champion and enjoys assisting in the resto..!

I had a Scottish Fold called Miguel. Sadly no longer with us. He loved to sit and watch whatever I was doing.. I would enjoy his company now with the work I am doing on the DecidedlySpecial. Your pic reminded me of his penchant for tearing boxes to shreds and scattering the debris across the living room. Ho humm..:( Sorry, a tad off topic..

Matthew :)

Well- In that case, we should dedicate Celia to tim and Miguel! I'm sure Abigail will be more than willing to put in some longer hours for such a valid cause!

More panel work. The bootlid is coming along well. The inner reinforcement on the bottom edge that I drilled and pulled off is pretty rusty. Repairable but plenty of work.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352805509.698018.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352805521.155448.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352805551.121182.jpg

Excuse the quality of the photos; mobile phone camera was the best I had on hand. Think I need to copy Shane any buy myself a dedicated "garage" camera.. They're cheap enough in either case.

Anyhow- back to the task at hand. After taking the paint off, there were several holes along the bottom edge where the rust had come through.

Another workout with the welder:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352805694.647414.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352805724.317204.jpg

Starting to get somewhere. Amazing how flexible the bootlid is without the reinforcement panel welded to the inside!

We'll keep soldiering on. I've discovered in my work around the front of the engine bay that the radiator is leaking. Disappointing considering it was recored a few years back..!

Ill do some research before deciding what to do. It's leaking from the bottom of the core, I'm sure it can be repaired but we'll have to weigh up the options. A new radiator looks like it can be had for around €500.. not cheap.

Any recommendations for a quality radiator place in Sydneys eastern suburbs? I've got to take the parts on the bus now- my girlfriends clio was written off yesterday by a red light runner.. Thankfully she's ok. Replacement car time now..

Maybe I can talk her in to a 2CV...

Toby,
Sorry to hear about the Clio, hope your girlfriend is not too shaken - not a pleasant experience...

Now, the bootlid, if it were me I'd get a panel shop to fold a replacement support panel, it's all straightforward bends. Then you have the option of getting them to spot weld back in place or plug weld at home. :2cents:

Cheers
Chris