1972 Citroën D Special- "Celia"

Chris,

Thanks- she's ok. Car did it's job, sad to see it go though.. Been a fantastic car!

I was thinking that actually.. The ends have had to be cut off completely (rusted away) so I really only have half the support left anyway. I'll bring what I've got left to a panel shop and see what they say.

Cheers!

Toby

Well, another pretty solid half day spent today.

I finished re-assembling the front of the car, aligned the bumper and put everything back together. Satisfying to finally set the ratchet to "tighten".

Shame the satin black really doesn't photograph well so you'll have to excuse the woeful picture quality.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352948503.278072.jpg

Bit of work lining everything up actually. So many points of adjustment.. Think I got it pretty good actually!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352948846.166678.jpg

Shame the detail here really didn't photograph well. I'm proud of it actually.. Be a shame to cover it all up. Looks lovely with everything new, I used new bolts/washers as well (just to make sure they last another 40 years!)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352948778.855951.jpg

Now all I need is the third nose panel painted and the front can be re-assembled. Before I put any of the ducts etc. back in at the front, I need to sort my radiator issue. I also want to replace a few seals on the gearbox; there's quite a bit of oil leaking from various sources. Part of the joy I guess.

I'm also at a bit of a crossroads as to in car audio. Did the D special ever come with a radio? Literature I've found suggests not- thankfully the previous owner fitted the radio in a removable manner so that's already gone. The speakers in the rear parcel shelf are next- I'm wondering whether it's worth welding in panels or just covering the holes with upholstery.. What have you guys done?

I'm also going to have the roof mounted antenna removed when I get the roof painted I think. I've seen some pretty cool looking units from retroradio- do any of them fit?

Thanks again!

Toby

I'm also at a bit of a crossroads as to in car audio. Did the D special ever come with a radio? Literature I've found suggests not- thankfully the previous owner fitted the radio in a removable manner so that's already gone. The speakers in the rear parcel shelf are next- I'm wondering whether it's worth welding in panels or just covering the holes with upholstery.. What have you guys done?

I'm also going to have the roof mounted antenna removed when I get the roof painted I think. I've seen some pretty cool looking units from retroradio- do any of them fit?

Thanks again!

Toby

Toby,
Originally the radio for a DS 3rd. nose was fitted in the pocket above the ashtray. As you can see it's an odd size and a standard din headunit will not fit. Continental Edison, Phillips and a few others made a unit that was a custom fit, these can be had for big money (think 600Euro :eek: ) with the only real benefit being original period fitment, most are mono and have limited FM band - I've seen these retro fitted with provision for USB/iPod connection but you are still dealing with pretty poor sound quality.

I'm waiting for RetroSound USA to release their 'Model 2' (currently no info on this model on their website but a quick search should reveal features) - http://www.retrosoundusa.com/

These will fit the centre pocket and come with USB/iPod/Aux/ and over and above their current models bluetooth for hands free. I plan to run through a separate amp. Front speakers are in the footwell on the raised box section and because the holes are already in place 6 x 9s in the rear parcel shelf. I'm not interested in Doof Doof, so if I install a sub it will be a small under seat jobby. The RetroSound can be customised to the look you are after, buttons/ knobs/ control face/ bezel illumination colours etc. Should be a good solution for a period look utilising modern technology.

Your work is progressing nicely, very satisfying setting the ratchet to 'tighten' one day 'oh yes', one day I'll have that pleasure :)

Cheers
Chris

Toby

Just noticed in one of your pics you only have the bonnet opened halfway. Did you know there is a support on the side of the radiator - or should be. Will make under bonnet access a lot easier.

Toby

Just noticed in one of your pics you only have the bonnet opened halfway. Did you know there is a support on the side of the radiator - or should be. Will make under bonnet access a lot easier.

Hey craig,

Yeah- I know.. I use that half-open position because if I close the garage door with the bonnet in the open position, the door hits the bonnet (don't ask how I found out!). I know I'll always forget to close the bonnet before the garage door so it's my idiot proof way of doing things.

Once I get into the mechanical work I'll have to write myself a note or a "REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT" tag or something...! Thanks though! Are all these bonnets pretty flexible? Mine twists something terrible, even when I'm opening it. I'm thinking it may be the poxy Renault 12 C pillar vents that someone has put on the bonnet. They've got to go too...

Toby,
Originally the radio for a DS 3rd. nose was fitted in the pocket above the ashtray. As you can see it's an odd size and a standard din headunit will not fit. Continental Edison, Phillips and a few others made a unit that was a custom fit, these can be had for big money (think 600Euro :eek: ) with the only real benefit being original period fitment, most are mono and have limited FM band - I've seen these retro fitted with provision for USB/iPod connection but you are still dealing with pretty poor sound quality.

I'm waiting for RetroSound USA to release their 'Model 2' (currently no info on this model on their website but a quick search should reveal features) - http://www.retrosoundusa.com/

These will fit the centre pocket and come with USB/iPod/Aux/ and over and above their current models bluetooth for hands free. I plan to run through a separate amp. Front speakers are in the footwell on the raised box section and because the holes are already in place 6 x 9s in the rear parcel shelf. I'm not interested in Doof Doof, so if I install a sub it will be a small under seat jobby. The RetroSound can be customised to the look you are after, buttons/ knobs/ control face/ bezel illumination colours etc. Should be a good solution for a period look utilising modern technology.

Your work is progressing nicely, very satisfying setting the ratchet to 'tighten' one day 'oh yes', one day I'll have that pleasure :)

Cheers
Chris

Chris,

That's great- exactly what I wanted to know!

€600!?! I don't need sound that badly! That retroradio 2 looks fantastic- maybe I'll just wait it out until they come along.

I've got 6" holes in the rear shelf.. Can you get period looking speakers? I'll have to check out eBay.

I just bought myself a radiator.. $310 shipped.. Couldn't believe someone would actually make one of these! Fingers crossed it's half decent- I think I'll paint it black so it looks more original. I'll let you know when it arrives.. I measured mine up and it looks good...!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/14086578...l?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=140865784175&_rdc=1

Being aluminium with only a fairly light metal frame they are flexible - not that you want them to! Unless you have a lazy $1200 or so lying around.

UFO,

Yeah, mine is very flexible.. I'm always super careful to make sure it's properly latched closed and keep it safe from disasters like a wayward garage door.

That makes the rectification of my racing bonnet vents a little more difficult though.. Bummer. Aluminum can be TIG welded by someone with appropriate skills right...?

Thanks,

Toby

UFO,

Yeah, mine is very flexible.. I'm always super careful to make sure it's properly latched closed and keep it safe from disasters like a wayward garage door.

That makes the rectification of my racing bonnet vents a little more difficult though.. Bummer. Aluminum can be TIG welded by someone with appropriate skills right...?

Thanks,

Toby

A good tradesperson should be able to produce a good result. I would think it to be a tricky project though, the alluminium is quite thin, aged and possibly brittle as a result of 30 years of flexing, it would require very skillful welding. The chances of horrible distortion make it a risky option. Getting your bonnet to and from exacerbates the risk.

Another option you could achieve from home would be panel adhesive, trace the hole, using a panel flanger/joddler (mine is 13mm) cut a repair panel 13mm bigger in all directions. Flange/joddle the panel which should now fit into place on the under side of the bonnet and be level with the outside. Use panel adhesive on the flange, clamp (tricky), and once set careful dolly work and a small amount of filler. The underside will not be seen with the insulation in place. 3M or Wurth have an appropriate product - quite expensive if you buy the application gun, I'd say not necessary as it is basically a two part epoxy you can mix and apply to such a small area without their gun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXrGJ_D4CWg

Cheers
Chris

Chris- you're a genius!

That's a great idea. I'll put that on my list- feels better to have a job "owing" but knowing you have a solution than having an unsolved problem..

All I keep telling myself is I'm so glad I bought a complete car. Would have been a total disaster to have bought a non running wreck.. I'd need a budget a million times larger than what I have.

Every little thing I saw when I bought her and thought "oh it's ok- all these bits are available new.. Imagine how nice it'll look!" has now turned in to "oh my god! €90 for a doorhandle!?!"...! Only thought of that after your comment on the bonnet lining- mine is missing; yet another thing to buy.

On another expenditure note, I always hated that a French car would have an imperial speedometer fitted! I was lucky enough to find a metric speedo assembly on eBay france yesterday for €6! Woo!

That'll be my "inside" job to do when i'm forced to spend time on the couch...!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353199270.519545.jpg

How hard are they to change?

I'll have another go at something when I get home from work this afternoon- damn shiftwork! Need to go couch shopping though which may eat into my special garage time...!

Until next time,

Toby

celia- photos of radio

hi
this is one model of these radios, it is fitted with a iPod jack and works, i searched for years to secure this and bought it is Germany, these are extremely scarce, the controls are not what they should be, but i have also managed to find the correct ones on the net to replace them when i fix it in the car. this is only for show and no go as they do not work in oz.
There is also a up-spec model as well with one normal volume control,and a tuning wheel positioned vertically.
my suggestion is that if you want to get the period radio,be very patient and just look on the net, they do come up from time to time and as it is not essential that it works so you can get these for reasonable money. i have come across other after i found mine.

trust this helps.
i realise that this is not essential for the car

Attachments

• DSCN6247.jpg
    DSCN6247.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 725
  • DSCN6248.jpg
    DSCN6248.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 596
hi
this is one model of these radios, it is fitted with a iPod jack and works, i searched for years to secure this and bought it is Germany, these are extremely scarce, the controls are not what they should be, but i have also managed to find the correct ones on the net to replace them when i fix it in the car. this is only for show and no go as they do not work in oz.
There is also a up-spec model as well with one normal volume control,and a tuning wheel positioned vertically.
my suggestion is that if you want to get the period radio,be very patient and just look on the net, they do come up from time to time and as it is not essential that it works so you can get these for reasonable money. i have come across other after i found mine.

trust this helps.
i realise that this is not essential for the car

Lamoor,

That's fantastic! So if I understand correctly, the radio doesn't work (obviously the frequency band is different) but you've fitted an iPod jack and so it'll play things off an iPod?

Does it fit in the pocket on the dash? If it does- any chance of a picture fitted? I reckon that'd be perfect.. Then I get to remove my antenna AND have a period radio.

Perfect.

Thanks heaps for sharing and nice work!

Toby

Lamoor,

That's fantastic! So if I understand correctly, the radio doesn't work (obviously the frequency band is different) but you've fitted an iPod jack and so it'll play things off an iPod?

Does it fit in the pocket on the dash? If it does- any chance of a picture fitted? I reckon that'd be perfect.. Then I get to remove my antenna AND have a period radio.

Perfect.

Thanks heaps for sharing and nice work!

Toby

Hi Toby,

I think you need to spend some time on the www.nuancierds.fr site. Here is a page on radios for you to start with:

http://www.nuancierds.fr/DT autoradios 3.htm

You might be gone for days once you start exploring !

Toby,
If you really want to go that way I can put you in touch with a guy that repairs and modifies these radios with aux connections for ipod etc. The radios are sold in working order the Euro band is fine in Aus. These are a straight fit into the original radio pocket. Have a look at the site Michael pointed to above^

Currently he has at least four Continetal Edison ranging from 325 - 600Euro - plus shipping.
These are three he sent me pictures of, I couldn't justify the cost and passed on all three.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice touch if you are after a totally original look, but for less than half the cost my money is still on the RetroSound.

Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• IMG_4958.JPG
    IMG_4958.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 1,718
  • IMG_4983.jpg
    IMG_4983.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 2,162
  • IMG_5101.JPG
    IMG_5101.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 2,618

Oh my! What a fantastic resource! I've clearly been spending far too much time in the garage and not enough time researching.. That's amazing! Thanks so much for the link Michael- there goes my evening!

Chris,

You're right.. I had no idea they were that expensive. Amazing and fantastic to have such an authentic period piece but well outside what I'd be willing to spend.

I agree.. The retrosound seems like the go. Still- I'm getting well & truly carried away, I've got that much work to go before I need to panic about audio...!

Love researching this stuff though- part of the journey and the joy of owning a vehicle like the DS!

You guys are great. Thanks for the help and pointers; I'm itching to have it back on the road. Panel work will well and truly be the limiting factor during this initial phase (yes, there's a few different phases to get to my ultimate goal)!

I'm off to the garage for a few minutes before I need to do other things. I'll photograph any work worth sharing (don't hold your breath!)

Cheers guys!

Chris,

That's great- exactly what I wanted to know!

€600!?! I don't need sound that badly! That retroradio 2 looks fantastic- maybe I'll just wait it out until they come along.

I've got 6" holes in the rear shelf.. Can you get period looking speakers? I'll have to check out eBay.

I just bought myself a radiator.. $310 shipped.. Couldn't believe someone would actually make one of these! Fingers crossed it's half decent- I think I'll paint it black so it looks more original. I'll let you know when it arrives.. I measured mine up and it looks good...!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/140865784175;jsessionid=BC90B49DA2977F7CB26F8F5CA30813E0?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D140865784175%26_rdc%3D1

When you paint the radiator, make certain you use the paint normally used for that. It's not a regular, run-of-the-mill spray paint, but rather it doesn't 'insulate' and clog the fins. Its a bit thinner than normal. Any rad shop should be able to sell you a can, or at least point you in the right direction.

In addition to RetroSound, there's Custom Autosound , which makes SecretAudio. Basically, a hidden stereo system.

Celia

When you paint the radiator, make certain you use the paint normally used for that. It's not a regular, run-of-the-mill spray paint, but rather it doesn't 'insulate' and clog the fins. Its a bit thinner than normal. Any rad shop should be able to sell you a can, or at least point you in the right direction.

In addition to RetroSound, there's Custom Autosound , which makes SecretAudio. Basically, a hidden stereo system.

hi guys
yes great resource
i agree with all of the above and the iPod connection was already connected, this guy basically deals with these types of radios. i met him through a friend and he used to go to old car swap meets and find these radios and then fix them up and sell to anyone who wanted period style units.
my understanding is that the radio would not work but you connect the iPod and when you turn it on it plays through the speakers via the small amp i guess. i have yet to install so might get a shock if it doesn't work. But my intension was alway to fill the hole in the dash, and then get a stealth system by other means. this is the most practical when you consider the current technology available.
next project to renovate the dash and install the radio. time time time where does it go!

Hotrodelectric,

I was just going to paint the tanks- I'm not all that concerned about the core as you can't really see that behind all the shrouds anyway. Will normal spray paint be ok for these areas..? I figured it would?

So.. Spent a solid morning on the car today before having to go to work.

I've mounted the numberplate which now all but completes the front end until I get the third nose panel back from paint.

I stuck some foam tape to the back of the numberplate to stop it from scratching my shiny new panel:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353313208.479175.jpg

Then I used a tape measure and my ilevel app on my iPhone to ensure it was straight before drilling the holes..

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353313278.095220.jpg

Now tell me.. These are the original plates- now exactly 40 years old. I think that's pretty special.. Only thing is the front one (as you can see) is pretty badly worn.. Is this patina or just looking crap? I can get the original plates re-issued. It just looks a little funny with everything else nice, new and shiny and the numberplate so aged.. Kind of cool though. Thoughts?

I also embarked on the epic journey of replacing the rear window "mousse" seal at the bottom of the window.. Here's why:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353313436.762730.jpg

Wow. I actually had doubts I'd be able to do this one on my lonesome.

On a positive note, there's absolutely no rust around the windowframe or at the base of the c pillars where they join to the parcel shelf! I'm pretty happy with that. I injected fish oil into the c pillars through the little holes in the back under the seal; not sure whether it'll do anything other than make me feel better!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353313602.271266.jpg

Window back in and happy! I obviously Couldn't take photos as I was refitting.. I fitted the seal to the frame and then "levered" the window back in. I lubricated the seal with a little bit of fish oil (was on my hands!) and then persisted until I had it in the whole way round. Tough work. Ah well- at least it's done and looks much better for it. The citroworld seal fitted really well too just in case anyone is wondering.

So. Tomorrow.. I'm going to start taking my radiator out. Even if the new one doesn't fit, this one still needs to come out to be repaired. While it's out, I want to clean the engine bay properly. I'll have to buy a pressure washer unfortunately, probably one of those things I'll use rarely but still, will be useful when I need it.

Has anyone had success cleaning the brake ducts/radiator shroud using that blitz aluminum cleaner by chemtech..? That's what I think I'll try, but happy to hear suggestions.

Until tomorrow!

Cheers,

Toby

They're addictive, for my part it could be the result of playing with Meccano when I was a child :shy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meccano

That the D can be taken apart and re-assembled mostly single handedly with a basic tool kit is a huge part of the appeal. Individual components are themselves beautiful objects, assembled there is little to compare in the price bracket. On top of that they are individually unique, even when they came off the production line no two cars behaved in exactly the same way. What other car comes to life in the way a hydraulic Citroen does on startup?

Celia will reward all and any pampering, involve your girlfriend or she may become a little envious of the attention given to Celia :cool:

Cheers
Chris